The End of Carry-on Laptops, Cell Phones, Wris****ches, etc.

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
(PeteCresswell)

Default The End of Carry-on Laptops, Cell Phones, Wris****ches, etc.

Per mrtravel:

2. Carry credit cards, hope the pay phones in airports accept them,

Be very careful of this. I used a credit card in the phone at LHR once
and was charged 55 USD for a very short call to the US.

That's the scam I was alluding to in another post. At least in the USA, you
cannot trust any pay phone because there's no up-front statement of charges and
it seems like anybody can put up a pay phone and charge whatever they think they
can get.

Calling card with an 800 number.... seems pretty tight to me.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics
[email protected]

Fly Guy wrote:

Those restrictions are with you for the hours and hours you're waiting
to board the plane. Not just when you're ON the plane.

Your drugs, your aspirin, your allergy pills, etc.

You are allowed to carry those on in the US. No problem unless the med
is liquid or gel, and even then if you show your prescription, it's OK.
I just flew out of a US airport, no problem.

Rupa Bose
www.rupabose.org

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per mrtravel:

2. Carry credit cards, hope the pay phones in airports accept them,

Be very careful of this. I used a credit card in the phone at LHR once
and was charged 55 USD for a very short call to the US.

That's the scam I was alluding to in another post. At least in the USA, you
cannot trust any pay phone because there's no up-front statement of charges and
it seems like anybody can put up a pay phone and charge whatever they think they
can get.

Except LHR isn't in the USA
I expected the charge to be high, but not that high.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
[email protected]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per mrtravel:

2. Carry credit cards, hope the pay phones in airports accept them,

Be very careful of this. I used a credit card in the phone at LHR once
and was charged 55 USD for a very short call to the US.

That's the scam I was alluding to in another post. At least in the USA, you
cannot trust any pay phone because there's no up-front statement of charges and
it seems like anybody can put up a pay phone and charge whatever they think they
can get.

PeteCresswell

That's basically what we were told when we called to inquire about the
phone bill.

Cori

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
tim[_1_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Brian:
Many pay phones have been taken out because so many people are using
cell phones.

Also, at least in my area (southeastern Pennsylvania, southern New Jersey)
you
don't want to use just any old public phone. There's no prior
announcement of
rates and some of the public phone vendors charge a *lot* - like $.75 per
minute
to call from New Jersey to Philadelphia - basically a scam built on a hole
in
consumer protection laws.

the thing that really annoys me about these phones is
that somewhere in the transaction they say "thank you
for using whoever", it's not like I had much of a choice
is it.

tim

Old August 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
[email protected]

James Robinson wrote:

Rip up the AT&T card, and don't use it again.

That card is never seeing the light of day again.

A monthly charge, even small, would be ridiculous as I have a land line
and cell phone and don't make many trips. I am good with a card of
prepaid minutes if the minutes don't expire by a certain date, as it
might take me several years to use them. I may try at Wal-Mart,
Staples, etc., to see if they sell such cards. Thanks.

Cori