online check-in

Old November 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
kay

Default online check-in

Has anyone travelled with CathayPacific and used their online check in. Was
there any problems when you got to the airport. Is there a special bag
check-in area if you have already checked yourself in online.
Thanks

Old November 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
A Mate

I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

You've always been able to complete seat allocation beforehand on Cathay
Pacific.

Old November 20th, 2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

"A Mate" wrote:

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

Simple: passports are checked at the boarding gate.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
quietguy

A Mate wrote:

I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

I am not very knowledgable in this area, but I thought it was a visa you needed
to enter a country other than your own, and the passport for ID and to allow
you back into your own country. But of course I may have it mixed up.

David

Old November 20th, 2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
PeterL

quietguy wrote:
A Mate wrote:

I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

I am not very knowledgable in this area, but I thought it was a visa you needed
to enter a country other than your own, and the passport for ID and to allow
you back into your own country. But of course I may have it mixed up.

But they want to see your passport to make sure you can enter the
destination country, otherwise they'd have to fly you back.

David

Old November 20th, 2006, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Miguel Cruz

"kay" wrote:
Has anyone travelled with CathayPacific and used their online check in. Was
there any problems when you got to the airport. Is there a special bag
check-in area if you have already checked yourself in online.

It works fine. At most airports for which they allow online checkin,
they have a special queue for people who have already checked in to drop
off their luggage.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu

Old November 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Martin Hunt

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:36:44 +1100, quietguy
wrote:

A Mate wrote:

I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

I am not very knowledgable in this area, but I thought it was a visa you needed
to enter a country other than your own, and the passport for ID and to allow
you back into your own country. But of course I may have it mixed up.

Depending on your passport, there are some countries that you don't
need a visa for. For example, with a New Zealand passport, I can enter
Australia, USA, UK, and a large number of other countries. The list of
countries you can enter will vary depending on the issuing country,
and the agreements they have with other governments.

As for online check ins, Air New Zealand has recently introduced this
for domestic flights. It seems a bit strange that I am already checked
in for flights I am catching in a month's time.
They have had self-checkin kiosks for several years - these just
require you to swipe your Air Points card or Credit Card and press a
few buttons on a touch screen. You still drop your bags at a counter
to complete the process, or go straight to the gate lounge if you have
no bags.

It's supposed to make the procedure a bit quicker. I will know after
Christmas if that is actually the case.

David

--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Frank Slootweg

A Mate wrote:
I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

You've always been able to complete seat allocation beforehand on Cathay
Pacific.

I haven't done it for Cathay Pacific, but for Singapore Airlines
(Amsterdam-Singapore-Perth):

The online/Internet check-in is kind of a *pre-*check-in, i.e. *not* a
full one, and, as you say, normally allows to allocate a specific seat.

You still have to:

- check-in your bags
- collect your physical boarding pass (if not already printed online)
- show your passport (and have them check your visa)

So the main advantage of online/Internet check-in is to be able to
allocate a *specific* seat 'number' *before* you get to the airport. In
SA's case, upto 48 hours before the flight.

Singapore Airline has all the details on its website. I assume that
Cathay Pacific has similar information on its website.

Old November 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Frank Slootweg

Runge wrote:
rec.travel.air and not this group

And "this group" would be?

And *why* wouldn't "this group" be appropriate?

"kay" a ?crit dans le message de news: