online check-in

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Neil Williams

Default online check-in

A Mate wrote:

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

As others have posted, you're wrong. I check in online with KLM from
the UK to the Netherlands and back every time. The passport check is
carried out at the gate (and at the baggage drop desk if I check a bag
in, which mostly I do[1]).

[1] Why check in online, then? Two reasons; advance seat selection
(and KLM will let you select exit seats in advance, which is very nice)
and because the flights I use regularly overbook, and a check-in agent
once told me he often turns people away but has never turned someone
away that checked in online.

Neil

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Neil Williams

quietguy wrote:

I am not very knowledgable in this area, but I thought it was a visa you needed
to enter a country other than your own, and the passport for ID and to allow
you back into your own country. But of course I may have it mixed up.

You did; only some countries require visas. As a holder of a British
passport I can travel to many countries without need for a visa, as one
indeed can with a US passport. With another passport, that may be
fewer countries.

Neil

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to Frank Slootweg :

There is a prevalent misunderstanding about the travel newsgroups.
They were intended to be created as runge.travel.* but due to a typo
by a news admin, they were created as rec.travel.*.

With that background knowledge, you can more readily understand why
runge feels a sense of ownership.

I was probably one of them there News Admins, so my sincere apologies
to Mr. Runge. Mea culpa. mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

LOL!
--
Tim C.
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Frank Slootweg

"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...

And, in case it wasn't clear, all the "You still have to:" actions
are
done at a *single* and *special* counter (i.e. not the normal
check-in
counters), which, because the actions are relatively simple/fast,
normally won't have long queues, if any.

Check in is always proceeded in no more than one counter no matter
whether you have a pre-printed boarding card or not.

In this day and age of increased security, that's no longer always the
case.

Well, yes it is. Naturally some gadgets can brake down and hence check in
may take place in more than one booth.

That's clearly *not* the scenario I'm talking about. I.e. it's a straw
man.

Sometimes there are seperate drop-off points for luggage (which is
going into the hold), where passengers have to present their luggage
for

The only design for this I have ever seen anywhere is the luggage which
takes unconventional dimensions and therefore requires specific handling
lines.

Can you *read* please? I am saying it's for *security screening* of
luggage which goes into the hold (i.e. not cabin luggage). I.e. in the

My lines aren't anyhow in contradiction with this. Luggage pre-monitoring is
not a check in process and all luggage is subordinated to it. In what way
the check in process is arranged, doesn't matter. The luggage pre-monitoring
process is equally vital and is carried out in the same fashion regardless
of the check in processes.

"pre-monitoring"? "pre" to *what*?

Anyway, (for example) Singapore Airlines says (in the part of the
process which comes after the online/Internet check-in) "check-in your
bags". So an *airline* calls dropping off your luggage which goes into
the hold "check-in" (of luggage). I hope that you don't mind that I use
their use of proper terminology over that of some Usenet poster.

old/normal process, hold-luggage is screened during transport from the
check-in counter to the aircraft. In this process it's screened at
the (seperate) drop-off point.

What's your point? The check in process takes place at ONE counter in
maximum.

And I explained that there are cases where there are TWO, one for the
passenger check-in and one for the (going into the *hold*) luggage
(security-check/)check-in(/drop-off). You can jump up and down all you
want, but in the real world one plus one equals two.

I have visited airports were luggage is pre-monitored in a separate
process physically away from the check in counters but all the luggage goes
through it. Whether you already have a boarding card in your hand or not, is
not an issue.

In the process I'm describing, it *is* an issue. You must have a
boarding card in order to drop-off you hold luggage at the security-
check/baggage-drop-off counter.

Perhaps we should add (those who are dead from their necks up
in mind) that these are not necessarily drop-off points for luggage Actually
they seldom are. I haven't seen such an arrangement anywhere.

And here we have the crux of the matter: Because you've never seen
them, they don't exist? Get real! They *do* exist, for the (*security*
screening) reasons I mentioned, and using the process I mentioned. Got
it now?

All the
luggage goes through the inspection in the same fashion. AFTER the
inspection they take different paths: those passengers who haven't checked
in yet has to do so with their luggage which typically means - especially at
busy hours - that they have to queue more or less lengthy period of time
while those who have already checked in just leave their luggage to a drop
of site without much waiting. These terminals are typically ordinary check
in desks but can also be exclusively built for this purpose. It depends and
is not anything very relevant.

With the minor, but very important, addition that this droff-off
process is called *check-in* of your luggage. Which makes it the
*second* check-in counter/desk/station/point/whatever, i.e. TWO
check-in thingies. Hardly rocket-science, is it?

security screening and subsequent check-in. I.e. in that case,

These are two and different processes even if the latter is
dependent on the first mentioned one.

Who cares? I said the followup processes of the online/Internet
check-in (*including* baggage drop-off) was at one single counter. You
then said that check-in is always at one single counter. I gave a
scenario where this isn't the case. QED. EOD.

What the heck is this? Check in takes place at one counter and one counter
only. If you have to visit desks elsewhere at the airport (passport control,
security check and so on, they are not check in processes).

Wrong. They *are* check-in processes. See above.

As far as
luggage probing is concerned, it is all the same whether one has checked in
for a flight prior to arrival to the airport or at the airport. It doesn't
make any difference at all. This monitoring process is the same for all the
passengers with luggage. Do you feel tangled?

Yes, it is the same for all passengers (at least for those with the
same set of flights), but it isn't always done at the same logical or
physical point in the process. *That*'s what I'm saying.

traditional check-in is two stops/'counters', one for passenger
check-in (seat-assignment/passport+visa-check/boarding-pass) and
one for luggage security-check/check-in.

Passengers are checked in at one counter.

But their *luggage* isn't neccessarily checked in at that same counter
and that's the whole/my point.

99.9% of all the airports are furnished so that all the CHECK IN process
takes place at ONE counter.

Probably more likely something like 90% these days, but no way 99.9%.

I have wasted lots of spit to explain that these
security monitoring processes which may take place in dedicated areas apart
from the check in desks, ARE NOT part of check in process. All passengers
and their luggage goes through it. After this process not you nor your
luggage have been checked in yet if you haven't been clear BEFORE the
inspection. After the luggage inspection, you take it along with you to a
CHECK IN counter, ONE CHECK IN COUNTER in which you leave your luggage and
receive a boarding card in the case you don't have it in your possession
already.

Well, *I* have never seen *that* process (first luggage inspection and
then (passenger+luggage) check-in). Note that I'm *not* saying it
doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it.

The process *I* am describing is more or less the reverse, first
passenger check-in and then (and a seperate counter) hold-luggage
inspection/check-in/drop-off.

No offense, but please read what people write and make sure that your
comment is a response to theirs. And if you want to bring up a
*different* point, then don't quote.

I guess it is you who needs a bit of reading comprehension. Or just say it
in Dutch.

See above. Bottom line is you don't know it, 'so' it doesn't exist.
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...

"pre-monitoring"? "pre" to *what*?

Relative to check in, of course.

Anyway, (for example) Singapore Airlines says (in the part of the
process which comes after the online/Internet check-in) "check-in your
bags". So an *airline* calls dropping off your luggage which goes into
the hold "check-in" (of luggage). I hope that you don't mind that I use
their use of proper terminology over that of some Usenet poster.

And what are you willing to say by this? You only visit one counter (where
you check in you luggage).

And I explained that there are cases where there are TWO, one for the
passenger check-in and one for the (going into the *hold*) luggage
(security-check/)check-in(/drop-off). You can jump up and down all you
want, but in the real world one plus one equals two.

The problem is your misconception about the check in process. It means that
you and your luggage report for the flight you have reserved and paid for.
It takes place at one counter. Try to understand than when a passenger
checks in for a flight, he does so for his luggage too. This takes place in
one place in front of one and the same counter. Security checks have
nothing to do with this. They take place elsewhere.

I have visited airports were luggage is pre-monitored in a separate
process physically away from the check in counters but all the luggage
goes
through it. Whether you already have a boarding card in your hand or not,
is
not an issue.

In the process I'm describing, it *is* an issue. You must have a
boarding card in order to drop-off you hold luggage at the security-
check/baggage-drop-off counter.

Of course, this takes place

1. at one and the same counter you check in for the flight as a passenger

2. after you have gotten a boarding card by printing it during
a check in procedure whether in internet or by a dedicated,
special purpose machinery at the airport

in either case you check in at ONE check in counter in maximum. One for
luggage and possibly one for a passenger. I guess most pre-check-in systems
print not only boarding passes but tags for luggage as well. So, it is easy
to take a point of view (a valid one) that in such a case you actually don't
check in at counter but show your flight oriented documents (and perhaps
some other documents) to check in personnel proving that you have already
done so. Otherwise we couldn't reasonably talk about "internet check ins",
could we.

Perhaps we should add (those who are dead from their necks up
in mind) that these are not necessarily drop-off points for luggage
Actually
they seldom are. I haven't seen such an arrangement anywhere.

And here we have the crux of the matter: Because you've never seen
them, they don't exist? Get real! They *do* exist, for the (*security*
screening) reasons I mentioned, and using the process I mentioned. Got
it now?

They must be very rare. Check in takes place at one counter.

[...]

There is only one check in counter involved:

And there you check in for a flight from the very beginning to very end of
it. Typically this doesn't take much time. However, when this procedure is
repeated dozens of times before you are in front of the queue, it may take a
good deal of time.

What the heck is this? Check in takes place at one counter and one
counter
only. If you have to visit desks elsewhere at the airport (passport
control,
security check and so on, they are not check in processes).

Wrong. They *are* check-in processes. See above.

Not wrong. They are NOT check in processes. The misconception takes place at
this point. Checking in takes place at specific counters which are called
not too surprisingly "check in counters". You find them at about all
commercial airports.

As far as
luggage probing is concerned, it is all the same whether one has checked
in
for a flight prior to arrival to the airport or at the airport. It
doesn't
make any difference at all. This monitoring process is the same for all
the
passengers with luggage. Do you feel tangled?

Yes, it is the same for all passengers (at least for those with the
same set of flights), but it isn't always done at the same logical or
physical point in the process. *That*'s what I'm saying.

There is no reason to proceed in checking in at several counters. Ask anyone
else in these travel groups and they most likely agree with me.

But their *luggage* isn't neccessarily checked in at that same counter
and that's the whole/my point.

99.9% of all the airports are furnished so that all the CHECK IN process
takes place at ONE counter.

Probably more likely something like 90% these days, but no way 99.9%.

The latter figure is definitely closer to the point.

I have wasted lots of spit to explain that these
security monitoring processes which may take place in dedicated areas
apart
from the check in desks, ARE NOT part of check in process. All passengers
and their luggage goes through it. After this process not you nor your
luggage have been checked in yet if you haven't been clear BEFORE the
inspection. After the luggage inspection, you take it along with you to a
CHECK IN counter, ONE CHECK IN COUNTER in which you leave your luggage
and
receive a boarding card in the case you don't have it in your possession
already.

Well, *I* have never seen *that* process (first luggage inspection and
then (passenger+luggage) check-in). Note that I'm *not* saying it
doesn't exist, just that I've never seen it.

This is very commonplace in these days at large airports. It naturally
depends on the equipments how the screening takes place. However, this has
nothing to do with the number of check in booths involved.

The process *I* am describing is more or less the reverse, first
passenger check-in and then (and a seperate counter) hold-luggage
inspection/check-in/drop-off.

Name one airport in which routines are arranged like this.

Old November 21st, 2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:34:56 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

"kay" wrote in message
Has anyone travelled with CathayPacific and used their online check in.
Was there any problems when you got to the airport. Is there a special bag
check-in area if you have already checked yourself in online.

I've used on-line check in for domestic flights - and yes there is a special
bag tag counter.

I wasn't aware that Cathay Pacific operated domestic flights.

I can not see how you could check in on line for International flights, as
the check in staff need to sight your passport - to ensure you can legally
enter the country to which you're flying.

I check in online all the time for BA flights.

=====================

Dave

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Dave Proctor

On 20 Nov 2006 18:37:33 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

Yes, I already mentioned that and that's why I said "main advantage".

And, in case it wasn't clear, all the "You still have to:" actions are
done at a *single* and *special* counter (i.e. not the normal check-in
counters), which, because the actions are relatively simple/fast,
normally won't have long queues, if any.

What if I only have cabin baggage? I check-in at home, print out my
BP, arrive at the airport, go through immigration, clear security, and
the first the airline sees of meis when I show up at the gate. What
then?

Dave
=====================

Old November 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Thomas Endt

"Markku Grönroos" schrieb

The problem is your misconception about the check in process. It means
that you and your luggage report for the flight you have reserved and
paid for. It takes place at one counter. Try to understand than when a
passenger checks in for a flight, he does so for his luggage too. This
takes place in one place in front of one and the same counter. Security
checks have nothing to do with this. They take place elsewhere.

Guys, this discussion is long and exhausting, but I don't see an end.
Maybe it would help if you would try to explain the process by a picture /
flowchart, where the whole processes of "normal" check in and
online/e-check in are explained separately, starting at the very
beginning, describing every tiny step of the process in detail.

For me for example, a normal check in process at FRA would be:
Arrive at the airport - go to my airlines check-in booth - queue up - get
my checked-in luggage x-rayed - wait for the next free counter (1..2x
Economy / 1x Business / 1x First Class or Royal Silk or whatever / maybe
one of them also for e-checkin, I don't remeber) - lay my checked-in
luggage on the scale/conveyor-belt - present my ticket and passport - get
luggage sticker attached to my checked-in luggage - get boarding pass +
checked-in luggage tag on my ticket-envelope - be happy and leave with my
cabin-luggage for duty-free shopping - get passport examined before
entering the area where duty free shopping begins - get my cabin-luggage
x-rayed and myself scanned for metal parts when entering the specific
gate-area (well, e.g. D21...D39, dunno the right word) - wait for boarding

If you can wait until 09.12.06, I can tell you in the same detailed way
how this process works in FRA for e-checkin.

IMHO a flowchart would really speed up this discussion.

cu, Thomas

Old November 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Frank Slootweg

"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti

[Severely snipping because there no longer is any point.]

The process *I* am describing is more or less the reverse, first
passenger check-in and then (and a seperate counter) hold-luggage
inspection/check-in/drop-off.

Name one airport in which routines are arranged like this.

For *example* Schiphol airport ("Amsterdam").

And as I said in my very first response (on *this* subject): These are
*sometimes* used for (increased) *security* reasons, i.e. they are *not*
"routines", but *exceptions* to the general routines:

Check in is always proceeded in no more than one counter no matter
whether you have a pre-printed boarding card or not.

In this day and age of increased security, that's no longer always
the case.

Sometimes there are seperate drop-off points for luggage (which is
going into the hold), where passengers have to present their luggage
for security screening and subsequent check-in. I.e. in that case,

Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti
l...
"Markku Gr?nroos" wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" kirjoitti

[Severely snipping because there no longer is any point.]

The process *I* am describing is more or less the reverse, first
passenger check-in and then (and a seperate counter) hold-luggage
inspection/check-in/drop-off.

Name one airport in which routines are arranged like this.

For *example* Schiphol airport ("Amsterdam").

Bull. At Schiphol one checks in at ONE counter. I have never done it at more
than one counter at Schiphol (even though I usually don't have anything to
do in Amsterdam itself but use the airport just for changing planes and most
often I have been given boarding cards for following legs at the start
point, if this is not the case you typically can check in the transit area).
Check in takes place in front of rows of booths which are indicated ..
well... as "check in". You pick any of them (different "classes" typically
have dedicated booths) to check in for a flight - only one.