Vietnam Mekong Delta Travel - Vinh Te Canal between Chau Doc - Ha Tien

Old April 14th, 2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

Default Vietnam Mekong Delta Travel - Vinh Te Canal between Chau Doc - Ha Tien

I understand that one can travel with some minor planning from My Tho to
Chau Doc on any number of cargo ships that make the trip a few times a week.
It lasts about 17 hours according to what I've read on the web. From Chau
Doc, one can then travel on the Vinh Te Canal built in 1814 on a perhaps
smaller boat to Ha Tien on the southern coast. This is an eight hour trip
according to what I have read.

It seems a nice way to relax and take in the scenery, although I understand
the accommodation on these boats offers a good dose of culture shock. Has
anyone done this trip?

rg

Old April 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Sharkbait

I spent almost three years over there between 1968 and 1971 and lost many
friends. I got over it, married a fine Chinese-Vietnamese woman and never
looked back. I hope you recover from your demons and wish you well.

rg

"TMOliver" wrote in message

"Sharkbait" wrote in message
I understand that one can travel with some minor planning from My Tho to
Chau Doc on any number of cargo ships that make the trip a few times a
week. It lasts about 17 hours according to what I've read on the web.
From Chau Doc, one can then travel on the Vinh Te Canal built in 1814 on a
perhaps smaller boat to Ha Tien on the southern coast. This is an eight
hour trip according to what I have read.

It seems a nice way to relax and take in the scenery, although I
understand the accommodation on these boats offers a good dose of culture
shock. Has anyone done this trip?

Yes, many years ago, aboard a variety of small vessels entirely unsuited
for cruising. Detracting from the voyage was the occasional 7.62mm round
whizzing by, or the traumatic site of the ignition of an RPG on its way in
your direction. Whilst I was too early for Swift Boats/PBRs, and the
scenes in "Apocalypse Now" are perhaps over dramatic (and the river and
the greenery are wrong), an evening with the DVD, good whisky and plenty
of ice far outweighs any pleasure, then or now, provided by the jaunt up
"**** Creek" as it was once affectionately known.

May those of both persuasions whose bones rest in the primordial ooze,
their flesh decaying but not their memories, rest in peace, their rice
bowls full, their beer cold, and the sounds of their revelry still rising
above the dark nights' silence.

Dai Uy