Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

Default Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:41:26 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

It's quite possible that one could have one's own private jet and
fly it with a private license.

Yes, but the fact remains that hardly anyone does this. John Travolta does it.
Arnold Palmer does it, too. Harrison Ford can do it, but I'm not sure if he
actually owns a jet. Lorenzo Lamas simply has a CPL, though (and I don't know
if he owns a jet, either).

I'm not sure how you think that's "hardly anyone". Of course,
"hardly anyone" owns big iron, but there are a lot of smaller
business jets in private hands. And, with a properly endorese
private certificate one could rent a jet.

Private pilots are a tiny elite to begin with. The ones who are also certified
to fly jets and have their own jets to fly are so rare that they're scarcely
on the radar, QED.

But they tend to be pretty big blips on that radar screen. I hold
a private certificate, myself, but don't consider myself a part
of a tiny elite. Of course, I'm not current in any aircraft at
all and I doubt I could pass the medical, so the certificate is
just and interesting item in my scrap book.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 01:32:20 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

JohnT writes:

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.

Neither does flying a real-world Cessna 172.

That depends on what you're claiming to be an expert at.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Jim Logajan

Hatunen wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Hatunen writes:
I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

He has a 707 and I think at least one other jet. John Travolta is a
private pilot, single and multi-engine land airplane, with an
instrument rating--not an ATP.

Fascinating. Cite, please?

The FAA provides a web page that allows you to search their airmen
registry:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

Just enter information about yourself, click on submit, then enter as much
information as you know about person you are interested in. There is only
one entry that matches last name Travolta.

The FAA has another web page to search for aircraft, but isn't very useful
for finding who owns what, since they are oftened owned indirectly via
holding companies:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

That depends on what you're claiming to be an expert at.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I'm quite certain that I know
more about flying a 737 or 747 than the vast majority of pilots who have flown
only Cessna 172s.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:21:17 -0500, Jim Logajan
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Hatunen writes:
I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

He has a 707 and I think at least one other jet. John Travolta is a
private pilot, single and multi-engine land airplane, with an
instrument rating--not an ATP.

Fascinating. Cite, please?

The FAA provides a web page that allows you to search their airmen
registry:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

Just enter information about yourself, click on submit, then enter as much
information as you know about person you are interested in. There is only
one entry that matches last name Travolta.

That page shows street and city as required entries. I don't know
thm so I went no further.

The FAA has another web page to search for aircraft, but isn't very useful
for finding who owns what, since they are oftened owned indirectly via
holding companies:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

But thanks for that one. I've been trying to remember that
website is. It's kind of interesting to look up the old aircraft
I flew in. I see Piper J-3 Cub N3609K that I learned to first fly
in here in Tucson in 1966 is now owned by someone in Minnesota. I
was a one-fourth owner. One of my co-owners managed to encounter
an invisible dust devil on the runway on his first solo landing
and the plane was written off by our insurer as totaled. The
plane was sort of flyable, and the insurance company sold it to
someone who got a special ferry permit and it flew out of our
lives.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

To be picky, they're actually certificates, not licenses.

Same thing.

I'm not sure what SEL planes an ATR certificate would apply to.

One can have an ATP for all sorts of aircraft, and the ATP need not apply to
all. For example, you can be an ATP for multi-engine land airplanes, but only
a PPL for helicopters or seaplanes.

You mean ATPC, I think.

No, I mean ATP license(/certificate), ATPL.

Fascinating. Cite, please?

Pilot certificates are public records.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

That page shows street and city as required entries. I don't know
thm so I went no further.

You can enter just a name.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Jim Logajan

wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Hatunen writes:
I wonder if John Travolta has an ATR...?

He has a 707 and I think at least one other jet. John Travolta is a
private pilot, single and multi-engine land airplane, with an
instrument rating--not an ATP.

Fascinating. Cite, please?

The FAA provides a web page that allows you to search their airmen
registry:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

Just enter information about yourself, click on submit, then enter as
much information as you know about person you are interested in. There
is only one entry that matches last name Travolta.

That page shows street and city as required entries. I don't know
thm so I went no further.

You don't know your own street and city? ;-)

You put YOUR identifying info in that first page, not that of the airmen
you want to look up. If you don't want to ID yourself to the FAA (I don't
see the big deal) that's your call.

Street and city of the airmen you are interested in is not required when
you get to the query page itself. For example, I searched for last name
"Hatunen" and came across just one entry, with an issue date of
6/26/1968. Yours, perchance?

The FAA has another web page to search for aircraft, but isn't very
useful for finding who owns what, since they are oftened owned
indirectly via holding companies:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

But thanks for that one. I've been trying to remember that
website is. It's kind of interesting to look up the old aircraft
I flew in. I see Piper J-3 Cub N3609K that I learned to first fly
in here in Tucson in 1966 is now owned by someone in Minnesota. I
was a one-fourth owner. One of my co-owners managed to encounter
an invisible dust devil on the runway on his first solo landing
and the plane was written off by our insurer as totaled. The
plane was sort of flyable, and the insurance company sold it to
someone who got a special ferry permit and it flew out of our
lives.

You're welcome.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:35:20 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

That depends on what you're claiming to be an expert at.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, but I'm quite certain that I know
more about flying a 737 or 747 than the vast majority of pilots who have flown
only Cessna 172s.

Ohhhh, I see. So you're an expert?