What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

Old April 13th, 2004, 07:14 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Default What is the best way to experience a European vacation?

...relaxing ...
One carry-on size bag.
One Eurail pass.
No itinerary.

I can't endore this post enough.

Well, I'd "endorse" it, myself.
8-)
[... and, I'm in a position to tease you because I, of course, I never make
typos!]

My only consideration is the "relaxing" part. My recent favorite European
excursions have been with "one carry-on size bag" and "no itinerary" [... I
haven't done the "Eurail pass" thing in such a looooong time I sort of
forget the "pros and cons"... I think I haven't hit enough different spots
in one trip to make it worthwhile lately] but "relaxing" isn't the first
descriptor I'd use for those trips. To be honest, I don't make much effort
to relax while in Europe. I wonder if a combination of 10 days on land,
followed by a 7 day cruise would work? I've done a trip like that [actually
a few weeks, mostly "city-hopping", there, and a "crossing" to get home],
and, though I was a bit weary when I boarded the ship, I was very relaxed by
the time I got home.

By the way, that "Price is no object" has me "green with envy"!!!

Mila

"st" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:00 GMT, Keeger wrote:

(John Navas) wrote:

Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
have roughly 17 days free.

Old April 14th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Keeger wrote:

(John Navas) wrote:

Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
have roughly 17 days free.

One carry-on size bag.
One Eurail pass.
No itinerary.

http://www.regimechangeusa.org/

HAVE TO second this post. Rail is THE way to travel in Europe--fast,
prompt, mostly first class. Not to snub river cruises, or the cruises
from Finland to Russia: if you really want to see a LOT of the country,
and countries, rail is the way.

You'll find most European cities are great for walking to sight-see, so
take good, comfortable walking shoes. Rain gear is essential, as well.

Go for street food: crepes in Paris, demi-baguettes from boulangeries
(nibble on the bread as you walk along the streets--the natives do!);
fries with Sate' in Amsterdam; sausages in Zurich; pizza (yeah, really!)
in Rome! AND, you gotta sip a cafe grande or glass of wine while
sitting in a sidewalk cafe. Now, THAT'S the way to see Europe.

You will also find that most cities have multi-day, unlimited passes for
their mass transit. Great for when the ole dogs get tired after walking
forever!

Enjoy!
Old April 15th, 2004, 08:03 PM
vmkng3

No itinerary.

If you do not know where you are going, how will you know when you get
there???????