backpacking and worries about drugs

Old August 20th, 2004, 12:54 AM
RAK

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Did it occur to you that this could be a troll ?

--

I hope so. Or it is a very sad traveller who worries about this.
In my backpacking days many travellers would have been delighted to get free

Old August 20th, 2004, 10:55 AM
RAK

"Steve Bougerolle" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:57:07 +0000, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I did hear of a very nasty (pre-9/11) prank where a thin piece of
metal was slipped into someone's bag. It had a "gun" shaped outline so
it showed up on airport x-ray machines but was very hard to find.

This apparently goes on regularly - airline security staff test the system
every now and then by sticking fake guns in people's luggage and waiting
to see if anybody notices. A couple months ago there was a news story
about it when they missed taking one out again on the other end and the
passenger was shocked to find this gun in his bags.

Wonder how they open people's bags without them noticing?
If this is true it sounds very risky - what if a passenger sees this happen
and attacks and hurts/kills the security personnel?
Some more advanced scanners have an in-built system (called TIP, Threat
Image Projection on a machine I know of) which occasionally show the image
of a gun, bomb, etc - if the operator does not respond they are not paying
attention and alarms go off.