Walking the Great Wall of China

Old September 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Peter Neville-Hadley

Saso Zagoranski wrote:

btw. do you know anyone who has done this?

It was a long time ago, but there is a book still in print with the
account of someone who has done a trip from Jiayuguan to Shanhaiguan,
William Lindesay.

He's now resident in Beijing, organises weekend trips on unrestored
sections of the Wall, and leads a variety of conservation efforts.

There's something of his experiences at:

http://www.wildwall.com

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html

Old September 5th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Saso Zagoranski

Thanks!

I will try and contact him...

Again... thanks for your replies. Although I was a little surprised because
I was afraid
I was going to get replies like "you're crazy!" and "why would you want to
do that?"

Saso

Old September 6th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Sue Wright

Saso Zagoranski" wrote in message
... Hi!

I'm wondering whether it is possible to Walk the ENTIRE wall of China?

Hi. I had the good fortune to spend a weekend with William and Qi Lindesay
just outside Beijing in 2000. He was hosting walks along the wall around
their farmhouse at that time.
William Lindesay, a British long distance runner was the first person to run
the 2,470 Km. along the Great Wall in the late eighties. His book, 'Alone
On The Great Wall' would be a good place to get a feel for the more remote
regions but probably not of any practical help, one would hope it is easier
to arrange these days. He devotes most of he energies now to preserving the
Wall. check his website http://www.wildwall.com/
Sue
I have some photos from that weekend at:
www.wright-photo.com

Old September 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM
zzzzzzzzz

"Sue Wright" wrote in news:_32%c.8580$lP4.544505
@news20.bellglobal.com:

Sue you have a real nice page! Some photo's are so touching they almost
made me cry. (I'm not a wimp I'm a truck driver from the nyc area). Most
photo's made me wonder why I'm working so hard and not enjoying life as
much as I should.

Thanks!!

Old September 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Saso Zagoranski

Hi Sue!

I agree... your pictures really look great...

And thanks a lot for the information... I am planning on reading the book
and
also writing to William for some tips. I hope he is nice enough to help me

It would be nice to know how many people have done this... So far I know of
only 4. But I'm sure there are many more out there

thanks,
saso

.. .

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM

The official statement is that all parts are off limits, except those
expressively allowed. This is to prevent deterioration caused by tourists,
but also to prevent locals from creating housings in the wall or remove
stones from it.

Poul B-H

"Saso Zagoranski" wrote in message
Hi!

I'm wondering whether it is possible to Walk the ENTIRE wall of China?
I've read some pages that some people have already done it but they all
mention
some permits and restrictions... If so, where can I get more information
regarding what
I need?

I guess this is a pretty crazy idea but it is (one) of my really big

goals.
I was thinking
about doing this in about two years time, when I finish college. But

there's
no harm
in starting to plan things ahead.

Any ideas/help is appreciated

Thanks,
Saso

Old September 9th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Saso Zagoranski

Hi!

Where did you read this?
If I can find this then maybe I can get an address of someone who I need to
write to, to get the necessary permits...

thanks,
saso

. ..