Farangs describe the Disaster to BBC

Old December 28th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Ka Khiong Kwok

Amen really.

Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt that
such facilities were needed in the first place.
My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such as in
inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over generalization I
know but it's the point.

Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a tourist has
been pretty positive.

This is really an act of God - in my current line of work, you learn that
there's nothing you can do in these instances. All you can do is damage
minimisation really.

Regards,

Ka.

"Yamamoto" wrote in message
"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to say it
but
| it might skyrocket.

I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but it's the
truth.

They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.

Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught into the
hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was able to
cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.

On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or dead and

the
equiment
they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done a great
job.

Regards,

Carlos

| I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region more

then
| anywhere else now.
|
| Regards,
|
| Ka.
|
| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "JosephP" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Reading the news headlines the tragedy gets worse and worse as the
| numbers
| | go from 4000, 8000 ... 15000 and rising, mostly in Indonesia, India,
and
| Sri
| | Lanka
|
| The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000 people
dead.
| But that amount is still going up.
| And how many people will die in the following days due to their
injuries?

| Regards,
|
| Carlos

| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | news | |
| | Joseph,
| |
| | I don't take any sides on the fact that a warning system could

have
| saved
| | (many) lives or not, but I want simply to add some points ino this
| | discussion.
| |
| | 1. Many people have died on the roads in Phuket after the first
tidal
| wave
| | when they tried to escape to higher places. Giving a warning that

| | dangerous situation is going to happen without the proper
coordination
| can
| | cause more harm that good.
| |
| | 2. I was barely a month ago in Phuket, Phi-Phi Island's and Krabi.
| | Nobody can protect himself for a tidal wave like the one

occured
| | yesterday, with waves reaching 5 meter in height and a tremendeous
| force
| | as
| | I have watched today in the news.
| |
| | For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a
few
| | miles
| | of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher
| places.
| | Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to

protect
| | themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat

or
| | tuk-tuk
| | as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to

protect
| them
| | from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea
was
| | taking
| | their children out of their arms.
| |
| | The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short

| start
| | evacuate all this humans.
| |
| | Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without
setting-up
| at
| | the
| | same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting
the
| | chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
| |
| | My deepest sincere feelings goes in the first place to all the
people
| who
| | lost his live in this disaster and the people who lost their only
| meaning
| | if
| | life.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old December 28th, 2004, 10:32 AM
bobbychayal

According to latest Reports about 10,000 people in alone have died in
ANDAMAN NICOBAR ISLANDS(INDIA) that's total 1/3 of all poplulation of
30,000. The Govt is not disclosing the information till time all missings
are confirmed after 48 hours.
This is as told to NDTV corospondant by Local people who have survided.

Old December 28th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Alfred Molon

In article a9b30fc37cf647282fc65651853c1c30
@localhost.talkabouttravelling.com, bobbychayal says...
According to latest Reports about 10,000 people in alone have died in
ANDAMAN NICOBAR ISLANDS(INDIA) that's total 1/3 of all poplulation of
30,000. The Govt is not disclosing the information till time all missings
are confirmed after 48 hours.
This is as told to NDTV corospondant by Local people who have survided.

The latest estimates now are at 40000.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Yamamoto says...

For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a few miles
of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher places.
Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to protect
themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat or tuk-tuk
as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to protect them
from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea was taking
their children out of their arms.

The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short to start
evacuate all this humans.

Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without setting-up at the
same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting the
chickens in a fox hole to shelter".

No need to set up shelters on Koh Phi Phi. The island has two hills at
least a couple of hundred metres high:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Thaila.../img.php?pic=5

It is possible to walk onto these peaks (there is a path), so the people
on Koh Phi Phi could have simply walked onto these places. The waves
were max. 8 or 10 metres high, so staying at an altitude of just 30
metres would have sufficed. An early warning would have been very
effective.

The same holds for most other spots on southern Thailands west coast,
where higher elevation points are available almost everywhere.

Old December 29th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Yamamoto

"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| Amen really.
|
| Thing is though, it's a positive for the region that they never felt that
| such facilities were needed in the first place.

They have considered to put such facilties up, and have joined the warning
system in the Atlantic Ocean.
But as the chance of being hit by a disaster like this was almost none, no
warning system was setup for the coastline that has been hit now..
Even when such a disaster would happpen, a warnng system would have been of
no help as the time between the eartquake and the tidal waves was too short
for any organised help ( 1 hour before the waves hit Thailand)

| My line of thinking runs that you only need such facilities - such as in
| inner city areas where crime is a problem. Bit of an over generalization I
| know but it's the point.

Governments can only spend as much money as they have in their budget.
The departments have to consider what the priorites are and on what they
will spend the budget.
Spending the biggest part of the budget in setting up a warning system and
an evacuation plan in the event of a Tsunami which happens once every 100
years, and let the people die of hunger seems not to be a good decision
IMHO.
But your way of thinking is not wring at all.

| Now I'm only speaking about Thailand here. My experience as a tourist has
| been pretty positive.

I stay now for 4 years already in Thailand, and my experience is also for
95% positive.
Sure, I would like to have bigger walking streets, more respect for the
"weak user of the road", less polluting cars and motorcycles, and so on.
But there are othere more important things which made me decide to stay in
Thailand.

| This is really an act of God -

It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.

| in my current line of work, you learn that
| there's nothing you can do in these instances.

For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to more save
some lives.
But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
No way to turn the clock back.

| All you can do is damage
| minimisation really.

The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief and put
measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
I am confident that everything possible will be done.

Regards,

Carlos

| Regards,
|
| Ka.
|
| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to say
it
| but
| | it might skyrocket.
|
| I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but it's the
| truth.
|
| They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.
|
| Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught into the
| hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was able to
| cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.
|
| On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or dead and
| the
| equiment
| they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done a
great
| job.
|
| Regards,
|
| Carlos
|

| | I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region more
| then
| | anywhere else now.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Ka.
| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | | Reading the news headlines the tragedy gets worse and worse as the
| | numbers
| | | go from 4000, 8000 ... 15000 and rising, mostly in Indonesia,
India,
| and
| | Sri
| | | Lanka
| |
| | The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000 people
| dead.
| | But that amount is still going up.
| | And how many people will die in the following days due to their
| injuries?
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | | news | | |
| | | Joseph,
| | |
| | | I don't take any sides on the fact that a warning system could
| have
| | saved
| | | (many) lives or not, but I want simply to add some points ino
this
| | | discussion.
| | |
| | | 1. Many people have died on the roads in Phuket after the first
| tidal
| | wave
| | | when they tried to escape to higher places. Giving a warning
that
| | | dangerous situation is going to happen without the proper
| coordination
| | can
| | | cause more harm that good.
| | |
| | | 2. I was barely a month ago in Phuket, Phi-Phi Island's and
Krabi.
| | | Nobody can protect himself for a tidal wave like the one
| occured
| | | yesterday, with waves reaching 5 meter in height and a
tremendeous
| | force
| | | as
| | | I have watched today in the news.
| | |
| | | For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely
| few
| | | miles
| | | of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher
| | places.
| | | Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to
| protect
| | | themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their
boat
| or
| | | tuk-tuk
| | | as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to
| protect
| | them
| | | from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the
sea
| was
| | | taking
| | | their children out of their arms.
| | |
| | | The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too
short
| | start
| | | evacuate all this humans.
| | |
| | | Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without
| setting-up
| | at
| | | the
| | | same time shelters and other protection systems, is like
"putting
| the
| | | chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
| | |
| | | My deepest sincere feelings goes in the first place to all the
| people
| | who
| | | lost his live in this disaster and the people who lost their
only
| | meaning
| | | if
| | | life.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Carlos
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Yamamoto

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
| In article , Yamamoto says...
|
| For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a few
miles
| of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher places.
| Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to protect
| themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat or
tuk-tuk
| as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to protect them
| from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea was
taking
| their children out of their arms.
|
| The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short to
start
| evacuate all this humans.
|
| Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without setting-up at
the
| same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting the
| chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
|
| No need to set up shelters on Koh Phi Phi. The island has two hills at
| least a couple of hundred metres high:
| http://www.molon.de/galleries/Thaila.../img.php?pic=5

True, walking up 2 hills would have been a solution.
(Read further)

| It is possible to walk onto these peaks (there is a path), so the people
| on Koh Phi Phi could have simply walked onto these places.

Many of the tourist were older people who barely can walk a few meters
uphill.
Many of the tourist were people with babies and children who had to walk
with them up the hills.
(read further)

| The waves
| were max. 8 or 10 metres high, so staying at an altitude of just 30
| metres would have sufficed.

At the moment that this was going to happen, how could you say if 30 metres
was enough?
You know that the waves were 8 or 10 metres high AFTER they hit the island.
You starting to feel any wet?
Keep climing the mountain.

| An early warning would have been very
| effective.

As Tchiowa has explained in another topic, the time between the detection of
the eartquake and a possible Tsunami , and the moment a warning is released,
is between 2 to 4 hours.
Thailand has been hit by the killer waves only 1 hour after the Tsunami.
An early warning system would have been of benefit at all for Thailand and
Sumatra.

| The same holds for most other spots on southern Thailands west coast,
| where higher elevation points are available almost everywhere.

The same holds for all the other spots in Thailand.
The time between the detection of the earthquake and the forming of the
killer waves in Thailand was too short for any warning system.

It is easy to give advices what had to be done to minimalize the casualties
AFTER the disaster.
What would your comment have be if Thailand had started an evacuation (with
the looting of many propierties for sure), alerted everybody for the killer
waves, caussing many dead people in road accidents, and the tidal waves
would have been only a few inches after all?

There are always some people who will condemn the governments of not having
done enough to prevent a disaster when it happens.
And these people will start to throw all kinds of things into the discusion
in the aftermath.
But it is the same people who would be the first one to condemn the
goverments if they would done something to prevent such a disaster causing a
lot of death and looting, and the disaster would have been a lot less severe
or even absent.

Thailand has done a great job and is still doing a great job given the size
of this disaster.

Regards,

Carlos

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Alan Street

In article , Yamamoto
wrote:

€ "Alfred Molon" wrote in message
€ ...
€ | In article , Yamamoto says...
€ |
[...]

I've been to Phi Phi a couple of times. At 41, I was one of the older
tourists.
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Ka Khiong Kwok

Amen to that.

Ka.

"Yamamoto" wrote in message
> [...]

the
| truth.
|
| They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.
|
| Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught into

the
| hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was able

| cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.
|
| On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or dead

and
| the
| equiment
| they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done a
great
| job.
|
| Regards,
|
| Carlos
|

| | I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region

| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Ka.
| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | . ..
| | | Reading the news headlines the tragedy gets worse and worse as

the
| | numbers
| | | go from 4000, 8000 ... 15000 and rising, mostly in Indonesia,
India,
| and
| | Sri
| | | Lanka
| |
| | The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000

people
| dead.
| | But that amount is still going up.
| | And how many people will die in the following days due to their
| injuries?
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | | news | | |
| | | Joseph,
| | |
| | | I don't take any sides on the fact that a warning system could
| have
| | saved
| | | (many) lives or not, but I want simply to add some points ino
this
| | | discussion.
| | |
| | | 1. Many people have died on the roads in Phuket after the

first
| tidal
| | wave
| | | when they tried to escape to higher places. Giving a warning
that
| | | dangerous situation is going to happen without the proper
| coordination
| | can
| | | cause more harm that good.
| | |
| | | 2. I was barely a month ago in Phuket, Phi-Phi Island's and
Krabi.
| | | Nobody can protect himself for a tidal wave like the one
| occured
| | | yesterday, with waves reaching 5 meter in height and a
tremendeous
| | force
| | | as
| | | I have watched today in the news.
| | |
| | | For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island,

barely
| few
| | | miles
| | | of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the

higher
| | places.
| | | Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to
| protect
| | | themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their
boat
| or
| | | tuk-tuk
| | | as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to
| protect
| | them
| | | from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the
sea
| was
| | | taking
| | | their children out of their arms.
| | |
| | | The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too
short
| | start
| | | evacuate all this humans.
| | |
| | | Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without
| setting-up
| | at
| | | the
| | | same time shelters and other protection systems, is like
"putting
| the
| | | chickens in a fox hole to shelter".
| | |
| | | My deepest sincere feelings goes in the first place to all the
| people
| | who
| | | lost his live in this disaster and the people who lost their
only
| | meaning
| | | if
| | | life.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Carlos
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old December 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Yamamoto

"Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
u...
| Amen to that.
|
| Ka.

God bless you, and my your new-year be a better one as the one of the
victims of this disaster.

Happy New year,

Regards,

Carlos

| "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | Amen really.
| |
> [...]
in
| Thailand.
|
| | This is really an act of God -
|
| It sure was an act of something that was higher than any human.
|
| | in my current line of work, you learn that
| | there's nothing you can do in these instances.
|
| For India and Sri Lanka there could maybe had done a little bit to more
| save
| some lives.
| But this is only talking about things that already have been happened.
| No way to turn the clock back.
|
| | All you can do is damage
| | minimisation really.
|
| The damage is already been done by forces of nature.
| All that humans can do now, is relief the survivors from their grief and
| put
| measures in action to prevent this from happening in the future.
| I am confident that everything possible will be done.

| |
| | Ka.
| |
| | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | "Ka Khiong Kwok" wrote in message
| | | GIven the lack of medical facilities in those regions, I hate to
say
| it
| | but
| | | it might skyrocket.
| |
| | I didn't want to use the harsh words you use in your reply, but it's
| the
| | truth.
| |
| | They are simple not equipped to handle such a disaster.
| |
| | Sunday morning, when the first casualties started to be braught into
| the
| | hospital in Phuket, there was only 1 physician available who was
able
| | cope with such casualties according to posts in other NG's.
| |
| | On the other hand, given the amount of people being wounded or dead
| and
| | the
| | equiment
| | they have to handle such disasters, I must say that they have done a
| great
| | job.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Carlos
| |
| |
| | | I'm hoping MSF turns up there soon - their needed in that region
| more
| | then
| | | anywhere else now.
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Ka.
| | |
| | | "Yamamoto" wrote in message
| | | "JosephP" wrote in message
| | | . ..
| the
| | | numbers
| India,
| | and
| | | Sri
| | |
| | | The latest count at CNN at midnight today is more than 22000
| people
| | dead.
| | | But that amount is still going up.
| | | And how many people will die in the following days due to their
| | injuries?
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
> [...]