$#$#@%!!! wheelies!

Old February 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Abe Kouris

Default $#$#@%!!! wheelies!

My outbound flight from DCA was full of Washington yuppies,
self-important people in such a hurry, they could care less about those
around them. They're in such a hurry to pop out of the airplane upon
arrival, like some sort of bilogical champagne corks, that they insist
on never checking their luggage, and carrying it aboard. Well our A320
was fully loaded, and by the time I got on board, there was barely any
space left in the overhead bins. Which wasn't too bad for me, as I
had the good sense to check my overnight bag and get it out of my hair.
But I did want to stash my briefcase, and the flight to DTW was too
short to bother with my laptop. But, still, I wanted the damn thing
overhead, not taking up valuable legroom. Forutnately, I was able to
squeeze it in, but they had trooblr closing the bins before takeoff,
because of the damn wheelies everybody (except, it seems, me) uses.
what happens is that they've been manuafactured to barely meet the
carryon size requirements, but if you pack them transverse into the
bin, as people do when the bin is crowded, they don't quite fit.

Then, there's the fact that when people drag wheelies around in the
terminal, they take up the space of 2 people and block foot traffic.
And it seems that people dragging wheelies seem to walk twice as slow
as normal people.

One thing I can't understand is why people even need wheels on bags
that are carry-on size. What the hell are they hauling around? Lead?
Plutonium? I have no problem schlepping duffel bags twice the size of
most wheelies (though i can see the value of wheelies for the larger
size suitcase). Have we become a nation of weaklings, unable to even
carry a small overnight bag?

Feh, yuppies! The Nation is going to hell in a handbasket. Stop,
relax, and time-budget the extra 20 minutes needed to check your bags.
You'll enjoy your trip a lot more.

Abe

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:10 AM
PeterL

"Abe Kouris" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Take your own advice and relax.

Abe

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Rog'

"Abe Kouris" wrote...
The Nation is going to hell in a handbasket.

I'll bet that there's wheelies on the handbasket, too. :-) -R-

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:25 AM
PeterL

"Rog'" wrote in message
"Abe Kouris" wrote...
The Nation is going to hell in a handbasket.

I'll bet that there's wheelies on the handbasket, too. :-) -R-

Not to mention hell.

Old February 11th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Miguel Cruz

Abe Kouris wrote:
Then, there's the fact that when people drag wheelies around in the
terminal, they take up the space of 2 people and block foot traffic.
And it seems that people dragging wheelies seem to walk twice as slow
as normal people.

You're not alone in this observation. They also stand on escalators rather
than walking like normal people, and worse still, they stand in the middle
so nobody can get by. They're an abomination.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:25 AM
ant

"Abe Kouris" wrote in message
One thing I can't understand is why people even need wheels on bags
that are carry-on size. What the hell are they hauling around? Lead?

I love it when they have bags that are basically briefcases, and they are
wheelies. Very very sad.

ant

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Icono Clast

Abe Kouris wrote:
yuppies, self-important people in such a hurry, they could care
less about those around them. They're in such a hurry to pop out
of the airplane upon arrival, like some sort of bilogical
champagne corks, that they insist on never checking their luggage,
and carrying it aboard.

Simple solution embarking: "All passengers who will not use the
overhead bins may board at will. If we catch you opening an overhead
bin, we'll take you off to board last." Then the call by rows.

Simple solution debarking: "Passengers with nothing in the overhead
bins may debark as soon as the Captain allows. Others shall wait
until the aisles have cleared."

Simple enforcement in newly-manufactured 'planes: Electromagnets
keeping the bins' doors shut until the appropriate time.

All I carry aboard 'planes is a portfolio about 12x18x½ inches and
weighs less than a pound unless I've put a book in it.

I don't rush to get my bags. I do whatever else I have to do, such as
getting a car or making a 'phone call first.
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
BruceB

One thing I can't understand is why people even need wheels on bags
that are carry-on size. What the hell are they hauling around? Lead?
Plutonium? I have no problem schlepping duffel bags twice the size of
most wheelies (though i can see the value of wheelies for the larger
size suitcase). Have we become a nation of weaklings, unable to even
carry a small overnight bag?

You have probably never travelled on business for a couple of days at a time
like a lot of folks do.
All you need is some extra clothes and toiletries. Seems silly to go
through checking just that when you can save 1/2 hour or so by carrying on.
If you've ever carried one of those nice little Samsonite 1-suiters that
were so popular in the old days from one terminal to another at O'Hare, or
around the Atlanta or LAX airports, they can get pretty heavy after a day of
dealing with business. The wheels save all that work.

Wheels aren't really the issue. Some people abuse the carry-on regs and the
airlines seem to let them. Makes me mad too. All we need here is for the
lines to actually use those little sizing thingys that they have and it your
bag doesn't fit in one, it has to be checked.

I'd really like to see you carry a large duffel bag between the United
terminal and one two terminals over in LAX. Unless, of course, you're our
governator.. Lighten up, pal

Old February 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Alan Street

In article et,
BruceB wrote:

€ One thing I can't understand is why people even need wheels on bags
€ that are carry-on size. What the hell are they hauling around? Lead?
€ Plutonium? I have no problem schlepping duffel bags twice the size of
€ most wheelies (though i can see the value of wheelies for the larger
€ size suitcase). Have we become a nation of weaklings, unable to even
€ carry a small overnight bag?

€ You have probably never travelled on business for a couple of days at a time
€ like a lot of folks do.

I do it a lot, and I also prefer to go into the cabin with as little as
possible.

€ All you need is some extra clothes and toiletries. Seems silly to go
€ through checking just that when you can save 1/2 hour or so by carrying on.
€ If you've ever carried one of those nice little Samsonite 1-suiters that
€ were so popular in the old days from one terminal to another at O'Hare, or
€ around the Atlanta or LAX airports, they can get pretty heavy after a day of
€ dealing with business. The wheels save all that work.

*All* that work?

€ Wheels aren't really the issue. Some people abuse the carry-on regs and the
€ airlines seem to let them. Makes me mad too. All we need here is for the
€ lines to actually use those little sizing thingys that they have and it your
€ bag doesn't fit in one, it has to be checked.

I agree with you here. If US airlines actually enforced their own carry
on restrictions, life would be much easier.

As a comment to the original post, both American and United say that
wheelies are supposed to go under the seat in front of you, not in the
overhead bins. It would be nice if they'd enforce that rule.

€ I'd really like to see you carry a large duffel bag between the United
€ terminal and one two terminals over in LAX.

There's a shuttle that will get you there faster than you could walk it.
Or you could use a rental cart.

Unless, of course, you're our
€ governator.. Lighten up, pal

Old February 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM

[...]