Babysitters in China

Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Alfred Molon

Default Babysitters in China

We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

By the way, I'd guess that the five star international hotels will have
such a service, but most of the time we'll likely be in less expensive
places.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive: yes

Alfred Molon wrote:
We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

You've got to be kidding. You are going to leave your child with a
total stranger in a foreign country?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Alfred Molon

In article . com,
PeterL says...

We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

You've got to be kidding. You are going to leave your child with a
total stranger in a foreign country?

For a few hours with a babysitter ? Why would that be a problem ? By the
way, my wife is Chinese.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - 6000 photos from Asia, Egypt and
Europe
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive: yes

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article . com,
PeterL says...

We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

You've got to be kidding. You are going to leave your child with a
total stranger in a foreign country?

For a few hours with a babysitter ? Why would that be a problem ?

It's kind of difficult to explain to someone why leaving a baby with a
total stranger in a foreign country is a problem.

By the
way, my wife is Chinese.

What difference does that make?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Miguel Cruz

PeterL wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
PeterL says...
We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

You've got to be kidding. You are going to leave your child with a
total stranger in a foreign country?

For a few hours with a babysitter ? Why would that be a problem ?

It's kind of difficult to explain to someone why leaving a baby with a
total stranger in a foreign country is a problem.

Please try, if possible. It's difficult for me to understand why this is a
problem. What is the significance of it being a foreign country? They do not
eat babies in China so far as I know.

miguel
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive: yes

Miguel Cruz wrote:
PeterL wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
PeterL says...
We'll be travelling across China for three weeks in September-October
with our daughter (16 months) and I was wondering if it would be an
option to leave her with a baby sitter for half a day or so, while we
are sightseeing. If yes, how could we find a babysitter and how much
would such a service cost ?

You've got to be kidding. You are going to leave your child with a
total stranger in a foreign country?

For a few hours with a babysitter ? Why would that be a problem ?

It's kind of difficult to explain to someone why leaving a baby with a
total stranger in a foreign country is a problem.

Please try, if possible. It's difficult for me to understand why this is a
problem. What is the significance of it being a foreign country? They do not
eat babies in China so far as I know.

But they do have incidents of baby kidnaps, as in most other countries.
Or what if while you are out sightseeing your baby comes down with
high temperature? If this happens at home, you know who to call, you
have the number to the police, you know who your pediatrician is, you
can talk to the police, you have friends and relatives who can help you
or give you support.

In a foreign country (I am not just saying that about China), you are
unfamiliar with the law, you'll have trouble communicating wiht the
police, you don't know if the babysitter knows the first thing about
first aid, you don't have a supprt system.

I am not saying that any of these will happen. But leaving a baby with
a total stranger in a foreign country is, in my book, highly
irresponsible.

miguel

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Dieter Aaaa

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Please try, if possible. It's difficult for me to understand why this
is a problem. What is the significance of it being a foreign country?
They do not eat babies in China so far as I know.

Not ?
After all it's China, you know.... and they speak Chinese there !
It is there so different from New York, you know.
And the people there... you never now...

Do they have baby food in China ?
And cars, do they have cars in China ?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Dieter Aaaa

PeterL wrote:

In a foreign country ...

Can i ask you in which country you are living ?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
PeterL

x-no-archive: yes

Dieter Aaaa wrote:
PeterL wrote:

In a foreign country ...

Can i ask you in which country you are living ?

I live in the US.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Alfred Molon

In article . com,
PeterL says...

Or what if while you are out sightseeing your baby comes down with
high temperature?

We'd perhaps be away for max. half a day or so, and it's unlikely that
so much can go wrong in such a short time.

If this happens at home, you know who to call, you
have the number to the police, you know who your pediatrician is, you
can talk to the police, you have friends and relatives who can help you
or give you support.

My brother in law and his wife live in Beijing, so the country is not
totally foreign to us.

In a foreign country (I am not just saying that about China), you are
unfamiliar with the law, you'll have trouble communicating wiht the
police, you don't know if the babysitter knows the first thing about
first aid, you don't have a supprt system.

Well, my wife speaks Chinese and China is not totally undeveloped
country anyway. I also guess you could talk to the babysitter first and
check her credentials. And by the way, they have babies also in China.

But of course it is important to find the right babysitter. In any case,
I'm not sure if I want to leave my baby with a babysitter in China. I
was just asking for some feedback and was curious to hear if anybody did
this before.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - 6000 photos from Asia, Africa and