Flight Sites - Web Ticketing Services

Old December 6th, 2005, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Flight Sites - Web Ticketing Services

Do you have a site that is consistently better than the ones
listed below?

Source: Sync Magazine Nov 2005

http://www.sidestep.com/air/
http://www.expedia.com
http://www.orbitz.com/
http://www.travelocity.com/

====
"I don't care (if I get booed). I don't know any of those people. As long as my kids tell me that they love me, I'm fine. My motto is, when people talk about me, I say, 'Who are they? They're not God.' If God was out there booing me, I'd be upset."
-- Bonzi Wells, Sacramento Kings
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Do you have a site that is consistently better than the ones listed
below?

http://www.sidestep.com/air/
http://www.expedia.com
http://www.orbitz.com/
http://www.travelocity.com/

Consistently better? No way. For flights originating or within Europe,
then it is always worth a look at www.opodo.de but I'm amazed at how prices
listed at Opodo are sometimes far better at www.travelocity.com (and also
better there than at www.travelocity.de which is the German version of
Travelocity!).

The one exception would be going direct to an airline's website. For one
thing, Orbitz etc. only allow booking less than 11 months out, but if you go
to, say Northwest's website, then you can book 352 days out--and I have had
good luck booking as SOON as that 352 point is reached, NEVER to see the
price for those particular flights (particularly high-demand holiday
flights) be that low again (and if they do go lower, I rebook at the lower
fare minus a $25 charge). I also was pulling up Chicago-Dublin fares on
Orbitz in the last month or two, but when I went directly to the Delta
website the fares were considerably lower (though this has since changed,
since fares continually fluctuate). Another problem with Orbitz, is that
you get offered a fare that looks good, but when you try to book it you get
informed that the price for this itinerary "has changed", which is BS. The
price hasn't actually changed--Orbitz was completely out-of-sync to begin
with, and if you were to go to the airline website directly you would see
the ACTUAL price instead of going through the (often
time-after-time-repeated) conniptions of Orbitz's wrong listings

Other worthwhile sites (though I usually use Orbitz, Travelocity, and
Sidestep) are www.qixo.com and some people also say that Kayak is good.
For intra-european discount carriers www.skyscanner.com is o.k. (along with
others).

Old December 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
some people also say that Kayak is good.

In general, most people check more than one site. But, if one was to use
only 1 site, it should be the one that is the most all-inclusive. Since
hardly any sites include Southwest Airlines that factor is a wash. (But,
note well this fact.) If one is located in a market that includes jetBlue
Airlines, it should be noted that they are NOT included in Orbitz,
Travelocity, or Expedia. But they are included in some of the aggregator
sites such as Kayak.com. That, plus others factors would be very good
reasons for using them.