Japan Sucked, but not the people.

Old April 25th, 2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

Default Japan Sucked, but not the people.

Louise Bremner wrote:
B wrote:

wrote:
I was told Akihabara station has lots of
electronic stores, in reality it is more like a flea market
with little mom and pop stores that all carry the same
things, and no extensive parts deparments as I thought,
as is the case in the USA.

You didn't look very hard. If you want components there are dozens of
stores that sell resistors, capacitors, solid state devices,
transformers, leds, wires in all variety of guages, cables of infinite
design and length. If you want computer parts then you find everything
from Z80s and Apple IIc up to the latest CPUs and video cards. Want a
battery for a 1990s laptop? Right there.

Not many of those in Akiba station--sounds like he just found the souk
nearest to the station and decided that was all there was to the area.

Oh boy.... you didn't prepare yourself beforehand! You must have been
shopping within 200 meters from the station since you talked about the
"small stores" etc. But there is also the LARGEST electronics store in the
whole bloody world! It's called "Yodobashi Camera", a HUGE block with
multiple floors where you get EVERYTHING that's available. According to
press releases, this shop has a combimed floor space of 42% of the entire
shops in Akihabara. And there are several other BIG stores too.
Can't help about the prices. Cheaper stuff can be had in the small shops
over 500 meters away from the station. However, they are hardly seen by
one-day visitors to Japan.

The shops with the resistors etc had nothing, no batteries, no
English keyboard or Fujitsu hard drive (which is all this stupid IBM
Think Pad R52 A12 will take, all others it says it does not support).
I went upstairs and in the basements and the farther I walked
from the station all I saw was stores that have washing machines
etc. So no I did not go too far, and I was glad I got back on the
train when I did, because it was already getting crowed at 2:00pm.
I did not pull into Narita until well after dark, and had to stand
most of the way. Unless this Camera store has an extensive
computer parts supply as the parts above, they would not have
done any good. One even small computer parts store in the USA
who have had at least a Fujitsu 80gb hard drive, and could order
the rest, and have it next day more than likely. Not that I
would have liked to get back on those trains and go back
down there. And except for the few who came up to me, to
try out their english, I did see many as cold and if you were
not in a suit they looked down on you. I was dressed very
nice and neat, just not in a suit.

For the inevitable people that will say the IBM will take any
hard drive, the R51 a lesser computer will, the R52 won't and
we tried 2 others to see if it was just my computer, they won't
and IBM lists what hard drives it will take, and none are in asia
(even though the Fujitsu is made in Thailand), that I can find ,
and no one will send anything to Thailand, because they are
stolen. That is why I wanted to get it in Japan. Samsung nor
Western digital, the two brands found in Thailand, will work.
If the hard drive goes out I am SOL. The Samsung I did buy
(thinking computers will take any hard drive) can only be used
as an equivalent to an external tape back up drive. Worthless
if the drive does go out. And I did ask people where to find
such parts, and they said there are lots of stores at
Akihabara station that will have them. Not !

Old April 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

wrote:

snippity-snip
And I did ask people where to find such parts, and they said there are
lots of stores at Akihabara station that will have them. Not !

Ah.... I see where you went wrong. What a waste of a trip.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

"TXZZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, japan sucks, but I think the people suck too. Go to japan as
something other than a tourist and you will realize that the japanese
are colder than ice.

Only japanese from rural areas are an exception. I suppose that is
true everywhere but to me it was almost weird how the difference
between a converation and talking to an ice block was if he or she came
from outside the big cities.

i second that. from my own 25 years of japan, if they think you are of no
status or consequence, then they happily treat you like ****. country
people are however good hearted generally.

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

I went to Japan to find electronic goods that I could not find
in Thailand, while on a visa run as well. I assumed Japan......

J.H. Khrist. What a twerp cry baby. You went to Japan and you came away
****ed? You didn't like this, you didn't like that. Boo hoo; boo hoo;
boo hoo. What? You think Japan is a tour colony that's administered for
your **** ant shopping needs? I'll bet the farm that you didn't find
what you need you moron, because you don't read, write, or speak
Japanese (Why should you eh? Those gooks should speak amErikAn eNgLliSh
right?) thus you were unequivocally, brain dead clueless and didn't
know that you were surrounded by thousands of advertisements telling
you where to go, what to buy and what to pay. Moreover, if you could
have had an intelligent conversation with a Japanese shop clerk you
would have received very polite, very patient, very knowledgable
assistance. I've been in Japan for 25 years I do speak, read, and write
Japanese and I have no, zero, zip problems finding precisely what I
need in Akihabara and/or any other part of Tokyo. And the trains? You
don't like the trains? The **** poor trains? So this is your first trip
to Japan and you're an Akihabara/Japan transporation system authority?
I'd bet again that your opinion of the train system and the people that
ride it is linked to your monolingual stupidity i.e. you were
illiterate in Japan, couldn't read stuff that a 6-year old Japanese
kindergarten student could read, and was ****ed off because you were
out of your podunk backwoods element. Stay home Bubba. Japan doesn't
need you and has been doing just fine without you for more than a 1000
years of its civilization.

Old May 16th, 2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

i think its fair to say Akihabara is a very extensive place indeed and
suspect you only saw a very small part of it.

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,fj.life.in-japan,soc.culture.japan,soc.culture.thai

Default Bitter Anko sucked Cocks but never licked Pussies [ Japan Sucked, but not the people.