The End of Carry-on Laptops, Cell Phones, Wris****ches, etc.

Old August 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Sapphyre

Default The End of Carry-on Laptops, Cell Phones, Wris****ches, etc.

Steven L. wrote:
That's because the prison is still on the ground, and visitors come and
go every day.

Visitor's aren't strip searched, so they can probably smuggle in drugs.
Inmates are usually strip searched before returning to their cell, and
sometimes before going into the visiting room. (I guess the trade of
drugs can work both ways.)

Don't be quick to blame the visitors. Employees come and go all day
long, and are subject to fewer screening processes when reporting for
duty, and have a lot more time with the inmates without supervision. At
least visitors are supervised (they're supposed to be, that probably
varies).

In this case, the "prison" is at 40,000 feet, and nobody can get in or
out. At altitude, you're more isolated than if you were imprisoned at
Leavenworth.

It's really interesting that people here compare these new restrictions
to prison, because I was thinking the same thing.

I've been in situations of being "treated" like a prisoner without
being one. I can name a few places that have intense screening (not
strip searches though), that are like the new airport screening. At the
Royal Canadian Mint, nothing goes in or out. My experience is a few
years old, but we donned jumpsuits without pockets or zippers and then
passed through the metal detector with a search of shoes and a pat
down. They weren't looking for drugs though. I've also been through
screening where I've been screened for weapons entering a restricted
access zone. It's not a fun thing, but it comes with the territory of
the activities. Prison is definitely worse for inmates, but I wouldn't
know first hand.

I worked a job where there were rules on clothing because we had to be
searched without having anywhere to conceal items. Minimal pockets on
clothing, must pass metal detector, no layers, etc. and a pat-down. I
don't work there any more and hated every minute of it. Now I can
re-experience this all again at the airport, if I don't decide to just
live in Canada forever and drive everywhere myself.

S.

Old August 11th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Steven L.

Sapphyre wrote:

I worked a job where there were rules on clothing because we had to be
searched without having anywhere to conceal items. Minimal pockets on
clothing, must pass metal detector, no layers, etc. and a pat-down. I
don't work there any more and hated every minute of it. Now I can
re-experience this all again at the airport, if I don't decide to just
live in Canada forever and drive everywhere myself.

Passenger rail is starting to look better and better. I live in Boston.
Many of my business trips are to New York and Washington DC, and right
now, Amtrak with all its faults is starting to look like a decent
alternative.

How's passenger rail in Canada? Better than Amtrak, I hope!

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
nobody[_1_]

"Steven L." wrote:
How's passenger rail in Canada? Better than Amtrak, I hope!

VIA Rust is but a shadow of what it used to be. Castrated by succesive
governments, notably Mulroney who prevent VIA from having any trains use
CP Rail tracks (CP Rail had ties with the liberal government to a point
where its chairman was given a senator position for life - Mulroney was
convervative (the orginal party, not the current one which si really a
renamed "Reform" party).
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Sapphyre

Steven L. wrote:
Passenger rail is starting to look better and better. I live in Boston.
Many of my business trips are to New York and Washington DC, and right
now, Amtrak with all its faults is starting to look like a decent
alternative.

How's passenger rail in Canada? Better than Amtrak, I hope!

I just got into Ottawa from Toronto on Via 1 (first class Via Rail
service). We have fewer cities here, and fewer travellers, so the train
doesn't run frequently. Corridor trains run two or three times a day.
Cross Country trains are sold out months in advance between Toronto and
Vancouver. The service is good between Ottawa and Toronto, and first
class is 139 each way. My partner goes on business to Ottawa frequently
and has decided to take rail, because with all the time wasted at
airports and getting to the airport, he'd rather just board a plane and
not go through all that hassle. It's also much cheaper for the company.

How's Amtrak? How frequently do trains run in your area? I would think
at least four times a day between major cities. you have a situation of
tons of cities clustered in an area, but because we're more spread out
here, and every city is along the river, it's ONE corridor to hit all
these places. We have a couple of trains that are not on the Corridor,
but they're probably once dailies, as not many people go this way.

All I can say, if you travell on the corridor, take Via 1. It's like
airplane first class, and NICE. Big reclining seats (no foot or leg
rests, most passengers are only on here for 5-7 hours max.), meals are
served on every train, alcohol is served on lunch and dinner trains,
you get wine with your meal (cheap, but free). Soda whenever you
request it. I got offered a drink, so I took a Ceasar, and asked the
attendant if I could have a non-alcoholic drink too, no problem, I got
a glass of pop so I wouldn't down a drink with booze while thirsty.
They have a menu also, and you can pick your meal. Those who get on
later along the line have fewer choices, just like those at the back of
the train get "what's left over". You can request a dietary meal 48
hours in advance, and they will bring you your special meal before
doing regular meal service.

S.

Old August 12th, 2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
James Robinson

"Sapphyre" wrote:

I just got into Ottawa from Toronto on Via 1 (first class Via Rail
service). We have fewer cities here, and fewer travellers, so the
train doesn't run frequently. Corridor trains run two or three times a
day.

There are six trains a day each way between Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto,

Old August 12th, 2006, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
bushlied

Steven L. wrote:
Sapphyre wrote:

I worked a job where there were rules on clothing because we had to be
searched without having anywhere to conceal items. Minimal pockets on
clothing, must pass metal detector, no layers, etc. and a pat-down. I
don't work there any more and hated every minute of it. Now I can
re-experience this all again at the airport, if I don't decide to just
live in Canada forever and drive everywhere myself.

Passenger rail is starting to look better and better. I live in Boston.
Many of my business trips are to New York and Washington DC, and right
now, Amtrak with all its faults is starting to look like a decent
alternative.

How's passenger rail in Canada? Better than Amtrak, I hope!

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

It was so shortsighted to ignore rail travel

I traveled extensively in Europe and rail travel there is a delight

You show up five minutes before your train, no hour and a half and you
go downtown to downtown

The rail is comfortable and the TGV (the French are great engineers)
goes 186 mph

We can eliminate a lot of strain on air travel

Old August 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Eyeball Kid

In article , Roedy Green
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:01:22 GMT, "Steven L."
wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

The next terrorist attack could be carried out by airline
passengers who hide bomb ingredients in hair gel or baby milk bottles

Even making passengers fly naked after downing a bottle of magnesium
citrate and taking a supervised enema will not make them safe.
Terrorists will just put bombs in the luggage as they did for Air
India. To avoid xray, they could use a chemical fuse. They can use
bioweapons -- themselves if necessary infected with something horrible
disease, coughing into the stuffy recirculated cabin air. An envelope
of anthrax would never show up on x-ray. If airport security gets too
tight, they can blow up trains, subways, buildings, nuclear power
plants, oil refineries ....

To be safe, you primarily have to reduce the number of people with
legimate reasons for wanting you dead, and wanting it so desperately
they are willing to sacrifice their lives in the process. If you get
things to the point everyone on earth prays each night to their god
for your hideous demise, you will never be safe.

Bush seems to think the opposite. He thinks the way to be safe is to
do as many things as possible to enrage terrorists or potential
terrorists.

To his great mind, he can "smoke 'em out" by enraging them. By logical
extension, of course, the only way to get rid of all of them is to get
rid of all "potential" terrorists. And since anyone he's ****ing off is
a potential terrorist, he has to kill all of them. Whoever they are.
And who are they? Well, it becomes arbitrary, just like the Patriot Act
section that allows Bush Himself to decide who will get imprisoned
without trial indefinitely and who won't. If, say, Bush thinks that a
bona fide terrorist has six cousins and nine second cousins, he might
want to kill all of them to make sure that the virus of terrorism
hasn't spread throughout the family. This makes logical sense. By
extension, however, he'll just end up with killing ALL potential
terrorists so he can save the rest and tell them what to do, and make
sure that they never see anything above a minimum wage. But there won't
be anyone left, now will there?

E. K.

One of the great errors everyone makes is thinking terrorists are not
motivated by the same things you and I are. Imagine what sort of
injustice it would take before you would consider terrorism. Now you
are beginning to understand the mind of a terrorist. You have no
power if you put on blinders and refuse to do any study of what makes
them tick. You must at least get curious WHY they want to kill you,
and don't be content with silly answers that have no counterpart in
your own experience. You need to find a reason that would motivate you
in the same circumstances.

You also have to sort out the crying wolf from the real thing, and put
the danger in perspective. You are more likely to die in your bathtub
than at the hands of terrorists.

"In this possibly terminal phase of human existence, democracy and
freedom are more than just ideals to be valued - they may be essential
to survival."
~ Noam Chomsky

"Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really
easy way: stop participating in it."
~ Noam Chomsky

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time,
and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."

"I even take the position that sexual orgies eliminate social tensions and
ought to be encouraged." Antonin Scalia, September 28, 2004

"The American Way of Life is not negotiable." Dick Cheney, 2001

"The American Way of Life is heading for extinction." Eyeball Kid, 2006

Free humor. Whenever you want. http://www.psmueller.com
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Eyeball Kid

In article .com,
wrote:

Roedy Green wrote:
To be safe, you primarily have to reduce the number of people with
legimate reasons for wanting you dead,

I agree wholeheartedly. Let's kill them all.

Okay. Why don't YOU kill them all? Go ahead. Have at it, big shot. Be
the rugged individualist American. Show us how it's done, Rambo.

E. K.

ought to be encouraged." Antonin Scalia, September 28, 2004

Old August 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.politics,alt.politics.bush
Joseph Coulter[_1_]

Eyeball Kid wrote in
:

In article .com,
wrote:

Roedy Green wrote:
To be safe, you primarily have to reduce the number of people with
legimate reasons for wanting you dead,

I agree wholeheartedly. Let's kill them all.

Okay. Why don't YOU kill them all? Go ahead. Have at it, big shot. Be
the rugged individualist American. Show us how it's done, Rambo.

E. K.

When 9/11 happend I was teaching, my students were all ready to go to
war. I naively asked who are we going to fight, terrorists I maintained
by there very nature do not come out to fight, they plan and act. We are
as unprepared for war with terrorists as the British army was to deal
with the colonists. (and one might say that certain act of patriotism by
the American colonists such as boarding bristish Merchant vessels adn
dumping their cargo amounted to terrorism, but no we would never do that
would we?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations