Has anyone done the Nyalaland-Trail in Kruger Park, South Africa?

Old February 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Has anyone done the Nyalaland-Trail in Kruger Park, South Africa?

Hi folks,

my wife and I would like to do a wilderness trail in SA this summer.
Unfortunately every trail we wanted to do except for the Nyalaland-trail
was booked out. We heard that the chances of seeing real wildlife aren't
that good on this trail. So we wonder whether it's worth doing it.
Has anybody done this trail? Maybe you can give us some advice.

Cheers,

---Alex
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

I haven't done any of the walking trails in Kruger but I have done some
walking in private reserves that abut Kruger.

For what it's worth I would say walking is not the best way to see wildlife.
You will see the insects, plants, habitat etc, but most full sized game runs
away from humans on foot.

Other people may offer different advice, but I would suggest the walking
trails are for the "bush experience" and viewing from a vehicle is for
seeing the animals.

I'm not trying to talk you out of walking, as it's definitely worth doing,
but if game viewing is a priority I would set aside some separate time for
that, and either hire a vehicle or book into a tour that offers this.

Regards

Michael

Old February 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Michael Kilpatrick" schreef in bericht
I haven't done any of the walking trails in Kruger but I have done some
walking in private reserves that abut Kruger.

For what it's worth I would say walking is not the best way to see

wildlife.
You will see the insects, plants, habitat etc, but most full sized game

runs
away from humans on foot.

A game-walk / bush walk in a private nature reserve is something else then a
3 day walking trail.

I just spoke to a guide who used to work in the Timbavati, and he also
guided walking trails. Sightings of Elephants, buffaloes, rhino, lions and
plains game is common.

On the average bushwalk which I organize we see Elephant, zebra, wildebeest,
giraffe, impala, jackal, waterbuck etc.

Corné.

www.amukela.com