Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:56 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Default Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

"Ned" wrote in message ...
Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics David Noland October 13, 2007

I would include the Avianca (ran out of gas) crash in Long Island, NY in the
list. Seems like there was a major rework to the ARTCC traffic desks, and an
explosion of procedural "gate holds", to prevent extended enroute holds.
That's my walkaway from that event.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvia Else

Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Ned" wrote in message ...
Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics David Noland October 13, 2007

I would include the Avianca (ran out of gas) crash in Long Island, NY in the
list. Seems like there was a major rework to the ARTCC traffic desks, and an
explosion of procedural "gate holds", to prevent extended enroute holds.
That's my walkaway from that event.

Mine would be "don't assume that your minimum fuel status is known by
each new controller you talk to."

Sylvia.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
u...
Mike Isaksen wrote:
"Ned" wrote in message ...
Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics David Noland October 13, 2007

I would include the Avianca (ran out of gas) crash in Long Island, NY in
the list. Seems like there was a major rework to the ARTCC traffic desks,
and an explosion of procedural "gate holds", to prevent extended enroute
holds. That's my walkaway from that event.

Mine would be "don't assume that your minimum fuel status is known by each
new controller you talk to."

Mine would be "don't miss an approach when you don't have enough fuel to fly
another one."

Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

When did the Wake Turbulence advisory become standard in the
.65? From what I've read (I got into aviation in 2000), it happened
shortly after the King Air crash at KSNA that killed the founder of
In-N-Out Burger. It was concluded that the King Air had been caught in
the UAL B757's wake, rolled into a steep descent and crashed.

I don't know when it started, but might be able to narrow it a bit.

There were extensive tests done by NASA in the 1950s into the subject, and
various Advisory Circulars were issued warning pilots of the danger. One I
found that dates from early 1965 mentions that controllers might use the
expression "Caution, wake turbulence". It therefore goes back at least
that far.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to aus.aviation,rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message

This reminds me, and perhaps Newps could pitch in on this as
well, seeing that you've been controlling for the past 15 - 20something
years.

When did the Wake Turbulence advisory become standard in the
.65? From what I've read (I got into aviation in 2000), it happened
shortly after the King Air crash at KSNA that killed the founder of
In-N-Out Burger. It was concluded that the King Air had been caught in
the UAL B757's wake, rolled into a steep descent and crashed.

I don't have any versions of the .65 from back at that time
(according to Wikipedia, it was 1993). Do you have any versions of it
from that time, and did it address the Wake Turbulence advisory?

I don't know when the language was added to FAAO 7110.65, but I know wake
turbulence advisories were issued long before 1993.