AA 1586 LAX-YYX: blown tire. Emergency landing at LAX

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
paddy_nyr[_2_]

Default AA 1586 LAX-YYX: blown tire. Emergency landing at LAX

"John Doe" wrote in message
AA 1586 from LAX to Toronto blew a tire on take off. Currently circling
LAX to burn fuel and will attempt emergency landing at LAX.

CNN entertainment network is carrying the story.

Why not just continue on to Toronto?

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air
paddy_nyr[_2_]

Default What's the rule for burning fuel? (WasAA 1586)

"mrtravel" wrote in message ...
John Doe wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:

I'm wondering what the rule id for burning off fuel. On my flight from
ORD to IAH last Friday, we took off, and the landing gear jammed. We
just circled around and landed again. We were in the air for a total of
about 45 minutes.

Depends on how much fuel had been loaded on the plane (and how much
cargo/passengers). If it was for a short haul, the plane likely wouldn't
have full tanks and might be able to land right away because its total
weight would be below the allowable langing weight.

But for LAX-Toronto, this would be a fair distance for a 737 and likely
that its tanks were nearly full.

On a 737 (considering it doesn't have landing gear doors for the main
gears), would it have hurt to retract the gear with a possibly blown
tire and then continue to Toronto and make the dangerous landing there
with low fuel, instead of circling around for 3 hours going nowhere at
LAX ?

Don't AA have a big maintenance facility at LAX?

Yes, they do.

Old September 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rudy[_1_]

AA 1586 from LAX to Toronto blew a tire on take off. Currently circling
LAX to burn fuel and will attempt emergency landing at LAX.

Why not just continue on to Toronto?

Gear was probably NOT retracted so as to not cause possible problems with
the shredded tire in the main gear bay.
Given that, it wouldn't make sense to fly all the way to YYZ with the gear
down

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Louis Krupp

Bob Myers wrote:
"Jim Davis" wrote in message
"John Doe" wrote in message
John Doe wrote:
AA 1586 from LAX to Toronto blew a tire on take off. Currently circling
LAX to burn fuel and will attempt emergency landing at LAX.
Landed safely at 12:52 local LAX time.

I'm wondering what the rule id for burning off fuel. On my flight from
ORD to IAH last Friday, we took off, and the landing gear jammed. We just
circled around and landed again. We were in the air for a total of about
45 minutes.

It's generally not a concern with fuel per se, but the maximum
weight at take off quite often exceeds the maximum landing
weight, so you burn off fuel until you get down below the limit.
Of course, if it were truly a get-this-thing-back-on-the-ground-
soonest sort of emergency, they'd go ahead and do that and
to hell with the weight limits - but you don't do that unless you
have to.

A nonstop from Chicago to Houston would take about 2:38 (according to
www.itasoftware.com) and would require less fuel for an equivalent
aircraft than a flight from LAX to Toronto, which would take about 4:41.
The first flight might not be as heavy and thus might not have to dump
fuel.

Louis
Old September 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Duh_OZ

On Sep 2, 2:44*pm, John Doe wrote:
AA 1586 from LAX to Toronto blew a tire on take off. Currently circling
LAX to burn fuel and will attempt emergency landing at LAX.

CNN entertainment network is carrying the story.

Here's the KLAX-KLAX route :0)

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...709Z/KLAX/KLAX
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:44:19 -0400, John Doe wrote:

AA 1586 from LAX to Toronto blew a tire on take off. Currently circling
LAX to burn fuel and will attempt emergency landing at LAX.

CNN entertainment network is carrying the story.

Can anyone explain to me why they just didn't fly to their
destination? Seems like the problem won't be any worse there, it's
still an emergency landing but the passengers get where they are
going, the airline doesn't waste tons of very expensive fuel to no end
and it won't take any longer to replace atire at the far end than
returning to where they just left and waste all that time in the air.

I could see it if the "check engine(s)" light was lit on the dashboard
or a mechanic was stuck out on the wing..grin..but seriously, why
abort the flight for a blown tire once you're in the air?

Jim P.