under what circumstances do us passports get us stamps?

Old August 27th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

Default under what circumstances do us passports get us stamps?

http://www.kimberlyburns.com/PassportPhotos.htm

The second photo (the first photo of the inside) includes stamps from
US Immigration. On a US passport. My quesiton is... why? Did the
US use to stamp passports but then just stopped? If so, why'd they
stop?
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
S Viemeister[_2_]

yawnmoth wrote:
http://www.kimberlyburns.com/PassportPhotos.htm

The second photo (the first photo of the inside) includes stamps from
US Immigration. On a US passport. My quesiton is... why? Did the
US use to stamp passports but then just stopped? If so, why'd they
stop?

My US passport has been stamped upon entering the US, for the past few
years. 10-15 years ago, though, that was not the case.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Depends on where you enter the country.......

--
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Aug 26, 6:52 pm, yawnmoth wrote:
The second photo (the first photo of the inside) includes stamps from
US Immigration. On a US passport. My quesiton is... why? Did the
US use to stamp passports but then just stopped? If so, why'd they
stop?

I think it became optional when they got the computerized scanners.
The immigration officers at the airports have always given me a stamp
when I requested it.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 10:45 pm, mrtravel wrote:
Why would you request one?

To get documented proof of when and where I entered the United States.
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Aug 28, 10:49 pm, mrtravel wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 27, 10:45 pm, mrtravel wrote:
Why would you request one?

To get documented proof of when and where I entered the United States.

I didn't realize they had stopped stamping foreign passport.

Don't ask me. I would not know. I thought the question was about US
passports getting US entry stamps. Do you have a problem with reading
comprehension?

Isn't the I-94 or I-94W proof of when you entered the US?

I don't know about this, since I have never filled one out. Do you
get to keep it, or does the immigration officer file it? If you do
net retain it, how would you be able to use it later to document a
legal entry? Doing a FOIA request seems like a lot of unnecessary
extra effort and expense.