Hurricane season

Old April 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Lynn

Default Hurricane season

Hi!

Planning a trip for my anniversay in August. I know that June to
November is hurricane season. Just wondering how the weather is for
those who went to the Caribbeans in August. I want to go to Cuba but
looking into Cancun and Panama. Just wondering if those are out of
the Hurricane Region.

Thanx!
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Bob Smith

Lynn, sorry to tell you that all those areas are in the hurricane belt
and that August and September are the most vulnerable months. The USAF
predicts that this will be an even worse season for hurricanes than last
year due to warmer water in the Atlantic and certain prevailing winds
and currents. Go to Costa Rica!

Old April 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Jeremy

Bob Smith wrote:

Lynn, sorry to tell you that all those areas are in the hurricane belt
and that August and September are the most vulnerable months. The USAF
predicts that this will be an even worse season for hurricanes than last
year due to warmer water in the Atlantic and certain prevailing winds
and currents. Go to Costa Rica!

Actually, Panama rarely gets any high winds.

JJ
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Bob Smith

Hurricane Ivan devastated Panama last year. I don't know about high
winds, but they certainly reeived enough torrential rain to dampen
anyone's trip. Go to Costa Rica on the Pacific Side where the only
threat is a rogue monkey.

Old April 26th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:39:18 GMT, Jeremy wrote:
Bob Smith wrote (without quoting any of the original query):

Lynn, sorry to tell you that all those areas are in the hurricane belt
and that August and September are the most vulnerable months. The USAF
predicts that this will be an even worse season for hurricanes than last
year due to warmer water in the Atlantic and certain prevailing winds
and currents. Go to Costa Rica!

Actually, Panama rarely gets any high winds.

Well, aren't a lot of the Pacific hurricanes _conceived_ just east
of Panama -- and form into hurricanes after they move west across
Panama and enter the Pacific?

OK, it won't be a 'real' hurricane. But several days of downpour
and winds from a "tropical depression" do not make for a quality
vacation experience.

Jonesy
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Brian K

On 04/25/2005 3:36 PM Bob Smith wrote:

Lynn, sorry to tell you that all those areas are in the hurricane belt
and that August and September are the most vulnerable months. The USAF
predicts that this will be an even worse season for hurricanes than last
year due to warmer water in the Atlantic and certain prevailing winds
and currents. Go to Costa Rica!

The thing commonly forgotten is that Hurricane Season portends the
likelihood of a hurricane. I spent a week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
during October with no incident. It was just very humid and hot away
from the ocean and there were frequent thunder storms. They'd last about
10 minutes and then blow off.

I had the same experience in September in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The
rain was usually warm and a nice relief from the heat. Just buy trip
insurance and check the weather before you leave home and you will be
ok. 8-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old April 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Juliana L Holm

Brian K wrote:
The thing commonly forgotten is that Hurricane Season portends the
likelihood of a hurricane. I spent a week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
during October with no incident. It was just very humid and hot away
from the ocean and there were frequent thunder storms. They'd last about
10 minutes and then blow off.

I had the same experience in September in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The
rain was usually warm and a nice relief from the heat. Just buy trip
insurance and check the weather before you leave home and you will be
ok. 8-)

Same here. Playa del Carmen in June, Cozumel in early NOvember (just missed
Hurricane Mitch by days), cruising in October twice.

Trip insurance is good.

Also the ABC islands are (last year notwithstanding) very unlikely to get
hurricanes.

--
Julie
**********

http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM

"Lynn" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

Planning a trip for my anniversay in August. I know that June to
November is hurricane season. Just wondering how the weather is for
those who went to the Caribbeans in August. I want to go to Cuba but
looking into Cancun and Panama. Just wondering if those are out of
the Hurricane Region.

Thanx!

There WILL be a huge hurricane hitting the Gulf on or about September 11th,
2005. I have this from a very good source. My cruise reservation.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We are driving from Olathe, KS to Tampa to
visit my daughter and grandkids and then on to Miami for the cruise. You
can bet your booties, I'll have my SAME Weather Radio with me the whole trip
and on the cruise. For those of you that may not know what a SAME Weather
Radio is, it's a radio that receives National Weather Service broadcasts and
they sound alerts whenever there is severe weather in the area for which you
programmed the radio for. My portable can have up to 10 different locations
and Miami will be one of the first ones I program.

Old April 27th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message

Trip insurance is good.

Make sure it's trip interruption insurance, or trip cancellation insurance.
Big difference. Check the fine print.

Better still, check with your travel agent.