What's the cheapest way to call Malawi in Africa from a BT line?

Old September 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Paul Turner

Default What's the cheapest way to call Malawi in Africa from a BT line?

Hi there - I'm new to all this. My girlfriend had gone to Africa to
help orphans for 10months and I need to find a cheap way to call her...

No, she doesn't have the net (so skype is out the question!)

What is the cheapest callcard carrier to use to call Malawi from a BT
landline?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Paul

Old September 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Bob Goulden

if u have a orange or O2 mobile [with cross-network minutes] u can call
MALAWI & MALKAWI MOBILES for free using www.simplyfone.com 's 07744 974
404 service!

from a BT line dial: to both Malawi l/line & mobile 0844 545 4333 @ 5p
incl vat

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Paul Turner

Bob Goulden wrote:
if u have a orange or O2 mobile [with cross-network minutes] u can call
MALAWI & MALKAWI MOBILES for free using www.simplyfone.com 's 07744 974
404 service!

from a BT line dial: to both Malawi l/line & mobile 0844 545 4333 @ 5p
incl vat

wow, that's bloody good. I'm impressed. I'm on Orange so I'll try it
later! How reliable is it?

How do they make any money?

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Paul Turner

Just seen this, for the record.
http://niftylist.co.uk/

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Paul Turner

Answering my own question from another site:

When you call the 077 number your call is terminated on that mobile network operators exchange. That network makes a charge to the calling network for delivering the call initiated by them.

Look at it like this: you make a call to Australia from your BT phone.
BT carries the call over the airwaves and then the Australian phone
company delivers the call to their customer. The Aussie company won't
deliver it for free. They make a charge to BT for delivering the call.
This is transparent to the caller and the tariff is structured to take
account of these costs. Some countries charge more than others and
that's why tariffs differ from country to country. Similar arrangements
are in place for calls across operators in the UK.

All telecoms networks operate in this way.

Old September 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Paul Cupis

Paul Turner wrote:
Bob Goulden wrote:
if u have a orange or O2 mobile [with cross-network minutes] u can call
MALAWI & MALKAWI MOBILES for free using www.simplyfone.com 's 07744 974
404 service!

wow, that's bloody good. I'm impressed. I'm on Orange so I'll try it
later! How reliable is it?

How do they make any money?

They get revenue from the 077 number (which is probably an Inquam
number, not a current mobile network). This more than covers the cost of
calling Malkawi wholesale.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Paul Turner

Just spoke to Orange Customer Service who say this number might cost me
the normal 80p a min to dial internationally. I don't think I'll risk
it, but thanks anyway!

Old September 28th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Pricefighter

You are not dialling ithe 07744 number internationally.its treated as a
cross network call out of your inclusive minutes.

Old September 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Linus Surguy

"Pricefighter" wrote:

You are not dialling ithe 07744 number internationally.its treated as a
cross network call out of your inclusive minutes.

However, be aware that the mobile companies appear to be moving to reclassify
these at best as outside inclusive minutes and potentially as higher charge
numbers.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Pat Anderson

In message .com, Paul
Turner writes
Hi there - I'm new to all this. My girlfriend had gone to Africa to
help orphans for 10months and I need to find a cheap way to call her...

No, she doesn't have the net (so skype is out the question!)

What is the cheapest callcard carrier to use to call Malawi from a BT
landline?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Paul

Paul,
go to google.com and type in "call costs Malawi" there are several
options there. It is annoying how call rates vary, we have Onetel to
call our son in NZ, it`s only 3 pence per minute but to friends in Kenya
it`s 23 pence a minute! You should find something on google.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson