Ferry from Venice to Porec (Croatia)

Old May 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
TheGolfersWife

Default Ferry from Venice to Porec (Croatia)

I have located a convenient ferry travelling to and from Porec from
Venice and I will probably book our tickets online. However I cannot
find out how to access the Venice ferry. Is it from Maestra or
further on in Venice itself. The ferry website gives no information
about this whatsoever.

As we will be travelling from Ferrara to Venice it would be very
helpful if we knew actually what do do and where. I think a bus
might be invlved from a railway station, and as we have little Italian
it would be very useful if we had some simple instructions.

We are not all that young, and the Golfer does not travel well, but
any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The Golfer's Wife
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

TheGolfersWife wrote in message
I have located a convenient ferry travelling to and from Porec from
Venice and I will probably book our tickets online. However I cannot
find out how to access the Venice ferry. Is it from Maestra or
further on in Venice itself. The ferry website gives no information
about this whatsoever.

As we will be travelling from Ferrara to Venice it would be very
helpful if we knew actually what do do and where. I think a bus
might be invlved from a railway station, and as we have little Italian
it would be very useful if we had some simple instructions.

The two lines I know of that make that route leave from Venice itself. They
are in an area that veers off from the bridge, and are easily accessible by
car. If you have no car, you will have to take the train ( or bus -- how are
you treveling?) into town --bus to the Piazalle Roma, train to the Santa
Lucia train station ( bom boom). Then the vaporetto to the dock of the
ferry, or -- if the budget allows and the golfers needs it, a taxi.
You are an hour away from Ferrara by train, perhaps an hour and a half. The
ferry leaves late-ish afternoon, so you should try to arrive early and have
time to pop into Venice for few hours.
You mention Bus-- you might inquire if there is a bus that goes direct to to
ferry from either Piazzale Roma or perhaps Mestre. The ferry people should
be able to give you info. It can be walked, but it a longish haul.
Don't worry about "little Italian." Plenty of English available.
rjf

Old May 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"bob fusillo" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Just to clarify, Bob means "bus to Piazzale Rome OR train to Venezia Santa
Lucia." The train station is very close to Piazzale Roma, which is on the
edge of the city, where the causeway from the mainland ends. If you have a
rental car, you should arrange to drop it at Piazzale Roma.

Marianne

Old May 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

TheGolfersWife wrote in message
I have located a convenient ferry travelling to and from Porec from
Venice and I will probably book our tickets online. However I cannot
find out how to access the Venice ferry. Is it from Maestra or
further on in Venice itself. The ferry website gives no information
about this whatsoever.

As we will be travelling from Ferrara to Venice it would be very
helpful if we knew actually what do do and where. I think a bus
might be invlved from a railway station, and as we have little Italian
it would be very useful if we had some simple instructions.

We are not all that young, and the Golfer does not travel well, but
any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

The Golfer's Wife

I sent the following to the group, but it did not apear. I sent it to your
email adsdess but was told no such thing.
Did you get it?
rjf

Old May 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tomich

TheGolfersWife wrote in message
I have located a convenient ferry travelling to and from Porec from
Venice and I will probably book our tickets online. However I cannot
find out how to access the Venice ferry. Is it from Maestra or
further on in Venice itself. The ferry website gives no information
about this whatsoever.

As we will be travelling from Ferrara to Venice it would be very
helpful if we knew actually what do do and where. I think a bus
might be invlved from a railway station, and as we have little Italian
it would be very useful if we had some simple instructions.

From Santa Lucia train station in Venice you take a water taxi to the San
Basillio port, where the ferry for Porec leaves.
There are at least two fast catamaran ferries leaving for Porec in high
season (afternoon, around 5 o'clock), one belongs to Kompas Travel Agency
(Croatian - the ferry is Prince of Venice), the other one belongs to Atlas
Travel Agency (Croatian - the ferry is Princess of Dubrovnik).
They both take you to the port of Porec, which is in the town centre.

For more information, you can write to the travel agencies mentioned above.
HTH.

Old May 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tomich

"Tomich" ha scritto nel messaggio
From Santa Lucia train station in Venice you take a water taxi to the San
Basillio port, where the ferry for Porec leaves.

To clarify, San Basillio is in Venice, not that far from the train station.

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

"Tomich" wrote in message

"Tomich" ha scritto nel messaggio
From Santa Lucia train station in Venice you take a water taxi to the San
Basillio port, where the ferry for Porec leaves.

To clarify, San Basillio is in Venice, not that far from the train
station.

Other alternatives, if you are not arriving by train, are a land taxi from
Mestre, or land taxi from the Piazzale Roma bus depot for the VERY short
trip to the ferrry. The water taxi from S. Lucia is exorbitant for the short
trip. A Vaporetto goes from S. Lucia to San Basilio.
I should think that the ferry companies would offer recommended directions.
rjf