Knee Defenders

Old March 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default Knee Defenders

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
. com...
I say left side of the plane has all the seats fixed so they can't

recline.
Right side of the plane reclines

People can reserve either side depending if they want to recline or not.

Me, I'll be on the left, thank you.

Sounds fair enough - maybe even the back x rows, which could also have no
seat pockets, no food, no toilet access, no window blinds and be a few
pounds cheaper :-)

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

Maybe we just need a legally enforced minimum seat pitch (excluding seat
back width) that caters for 99.8% of the population - the other 0.2%

have
fork out for business class ???

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Mike Cordelli

Actually, I'd pay a few extra pounds (though not many) to guarantee the seat
in front of me didn't recline.

They could actually make money.

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
. com...
Actually, I'd pay a few extra pounds (though not many) to guarantee the

seat
in front of me didn't recline.

They could actually make money.

But do you actually want the seat in front not to recline, or do you just
want extra leg room - which you can already pay for in a lot of cases.

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Knee attacks

Sorry, their attempts to damage my knees will be resisted. FFM

Mike Cordelli wrote:

While I don't agree with it, they do in fact have the right to recline their
seats. You have no right to force them not to.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

Steve wrote:

Steve

Here we go again! The schmucks do not have the right to crush my knees.
They are going to keep their seat upright. I don't use any aids other
than a pillow for cushioning but there simply is no space. FFM

Old March 8th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Dennis G. Rears

Steve wrote:

Steve

Here we go again! The schmucks do not have the right to crush my knees.
They are going to keep their seat upright. I don't use any aids other
than a pillow for cushioning but there simply is no space. FFM

While I don't agree with it, they do in fact have the right to recline

their
seats. You have no right to force them not to.

It has nothing to do with rights. It has everything to do with the
ability to recline or the ability to block the person in front of you to
recline.

dennis

Old March 8th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Mike Cordelli

The few times I'm in a seat where it's an issue I just tap out to the movie
or music on the back of their seat with my foot, never lasts more then 5
minutes before they straighten up.

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:52:46 GMT "Mike Cordelli"

wrote:

:Actually, I'd pay a few extra pounds (though not many) to guarantee the

seat
:in front of me didn't recline.

:They could actually make money.

Why not try it? Offer the passenger in front of you money to not recline.

You do not need the airlines help in this area.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old March 8th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Mike Harrison

(Holden McGroyne) wrote in message . com...
But do you have the right to put your knees into their reclination space ?
Do you also have the right to put your knees left or right into the space of
the passenger next to you ?

Maybe we just need a legally enforced minimum seat pitch (excluding seat
back width) that caters for 99.8% of the population - the other 0.2% have to
fork out for business class ???

Very good points. When does a seat recline impede into my seat space?

My most recent experience with this issue was on a Frontier flight from DEN
to ABQ. And the person in front of me, who was also in an exit row, decided
that he had to have it all. Mr. 10-C went full recline as soon as the plane
left the ground. I am one of those who checks to see what or who is in back
of me, and decided not to recline onto the rather large lady sitting there.

Just for grins, and since I had a small tape measure with me, I decided to
see what sort of room was between myself and the front passenger -- who was
evidently expecting to use me as his headrest. I measured slightly more than
eleven inches, (~28cm) from my nose to the back of his seat. And I would
have been SOL except for an empty middle seat next to me. Which I leaned
over into in order to read the paper and drink my tomato juice. And at least
the flight was a short one.

What, if any, would be the reasoning for allowing this individual to have
a seat pitch of ~50" (~1.27m)? I believe it is past time for airlines to
rethink the seat recline issue, and configure their seats so that a small
recline is all that can be made. With airlines flying ferwe flights with
more passengers, the justification for this change should be obvious.

Myself, I think that the seats need to be designed such that if the
person reclines I can still use my laptop. I have every right to use
my laptop in flight, and some guy who reclines his seat all the way
shouldn't be able to prevent me from using it. Some of Air Canada's
planes (with the newer seats) actually aren't too bad this way, I can
still use my laptop comfortably when the seats are reclined. They
don't recline as far back as the older ones. The older style seats
(still in use, arrgh) do not allow me to use my laptop as they recline
so far back I can't get the lid of my laptop opened far enough to see
the screen.

Incidentally, I have noticed that it's the men that recline their
seats all the way. When it's a woman in front of me, 90% of the time
she won't recline at all or at least not all the way. And the men
seem to think they can squeeze a few more degrees of recline into
their seats by forcefully leaning back in their seats every so often.
Very annoying as it hits the lid of my laptop.
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Mike Cordelli

That's when asking doesn't work. I always ask first if they can pull it up
just a bit.

When the FA's ask during the meal and they still don't do it, then I'm
tapping the rest of the flight.

wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:37:17 GMT, "Mike Cordelli"
wrote:

The few times I'm in a seat where it's an issue I just tap out to the

movie
or music on the back of their seat with my foot, never lasts more then 5
minutes before they straighten up.

Why don't you just ask them politely?

Old March 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:52:34 GMT "Mike Cordelli" wrote:

:That's when asking doesn't work. I always ask first if they can pull it up
:just a bit.

When asking alone didn't work, have you offered money?

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Miss L. Toe

Myself, I think that the seats need to be designed such that if the
person reclines I can still use my laptop. I have every right to use
my laptop in flight,

Who gave you that right ?
Is it specified in the terms and conditions of travel ?

and some guy who reclines his seat all the way
shouldn't be able to prevent me from using it.

I would have thought that legally the guy in front has more right to recline
his seat than you have for him not to.