Royal Caribbean - Eastern Caribbean cruise ?

Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Anna Baum

Default Royal Caribbean - Eastern Caribbean cruise ?

It appears that Travel agents sell the Royal Caribbean cruises ( July
05 cruises) for the same price or more than Royal Caribbean itself.
This is surprising !

I thought one could get a lower price from Discount cruise sites.

Another question:

What deck level is better for people prone to getting sea sick ?

How important is a window room if one is looking for economy ?

Any do's or dont's ?
Any mistakes to avoid ? Any pointers ?

This is for a family of 4 - Husband, wife, 2 kids 13 and 9

Thanks
Anna
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Juliana L Holm

Royal Caribbean has a policy of not allowing discounting of its
cruises. You should be able to get the same price no matter who you go to,
with the exceptions of special group rates.

You want to be low and toward the center of the ship if you are prone to
getting seasick.

I never get a window (outside cabin) on purpose, always book an inside
guarantee. I don't spend much time in the room, so I go for the budget.

Your mileage varies of course, but my guess is if you asked the question
this way, an outside cabin is not very important.

--
Julie
**********

Old November 3rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Dave Withers

Anna,

My replies are sprinkled below. Enjoy your cruise.

Dave
"Anna Baum" wrote in message
om...
It appears that Travel agents sell the Royal Caribbean cruises ( July
05 cruises) for the same price or more than Royal Caribbean itself.
This is surprising !

I thought one could get a lower price from Discount cruise sites.

Remeber that there's a commission involved with any travel agent, however if
this is your first cruise, it may be worth the small difference to utilize
the agent's knowldge and services to cover all bases.

Another question:

What deck level is better for people prone to getting sea sick ?

The level is not as important as the location. Midships (halfway between the
bow and stern) will have the smallest vertical movement in a seaway. The
lower decks are closer to the meta-center and therefore will move less
distance in a rolling motion - however, the stabilizers vertually eliminate
rolling motion. A midships cabin is also furthest from the bow and the noise
of the anchor chain leaving the hause pipe early in the morning. It's also
away form the screws and will have less vibration when underway. Check the
ship's deck plan to avoid a cabin immediately next to an elevator or other
busy public area.

How important is a window room if one is looking for economy ?

If you are prone to motion sickness, a window would be very helpful in
keeping you oriented. Looking at the horizon is the most stabilizing thing
you can do.

Any do's or dont's ?
Any mistakes to avoid ? Any pointers ?

Plan your travel to the cruise to allow plenty of time between air arrival
at the departure port and ship sailing. If you are leaving the north during
winter weather, an extra day with a day of leisure in your departure port
will ease the worry of missing the ship. Otherwise, it is worth starting
very early in the morning to arrive shortly after noon in the departure
city, allowing for your flight to be delayed and still make connections.

Do pack a full change of clothes in your carry-on bags so you won't be in a
fret if your luggage takes a while to make it to your stateroom.

If you are coming from the north, dress in layers ending with a golf shirt
and light slacks for arrival at the departure port airport. Leave the heavy
parka in the car, put the sweater in your checked bags, and change from long
to short sleeves in the airplane lavatory. We've seen lots of folks sweating
their way through the Miami terminal in heavy sweaters and 84 degrees.

If you are sailing on RCCL, get ready for dinner early one evening and go to
the Viking Crown Lounge (deck 14) for a 360 degree view as you leave port.
You can enjoy a leisurely cocktail and the kids can have an hors d'ourve.

Ask for the main seating. I would imagine the late dinner would be too late
for the kids to enjoy. After dinner you can return to your room, pick up
your copy of the next day's event schedule and go to the theater in time to
select good seats for the shows.

When you've picked your cruise and know your itinerary, post another query
for info about the shore tours.

Old November 4th, 2004, 12:56 AM
T.R.

Dave Withers wrote:

If you are sailing on RCCL, get ready for dinner early one evening and go to
the Viking Crown Lounge (deck 14) for a 360 degree view as you leave port.
You can enjoy a leisurely cocktail and the kids can have an hors d'ourve.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but does Royal Caribbean have hors d'ouvre in yhe Viking Crown Lounge every evening? We've been on 3 RCI cruises and never spent much time in the Viking Crown Lounge. But if they have before dinner hors d' ourves there, we may have to try it on our next cruise in January.

T.R.