Alaska Cruise suggestions?

Old September 27th, 2004, 01:31 AM
G&G

Default Alaska Cruise suggestions?

Your input would be appreciated. Pls. do a post.
Thanks.

Old September 27th, 2004, 03:30 AM
James Gemmill

Use Milepost or Fodders for help in scheduling
August, no mosquitoes:
rent a motor home;
tour inland for ten days, Denali, Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula, fish in
Homer with Bruce Elkins, return to anchorage to return motor home:
cruise from Seward to Vancouver

We did it this year had a wonderful trip, weather was very
cooperative. Weather is fickle. I suspect in Alaska yoe have to be
prepared for anything. We were prepared and needed no umbrellas or
layering. We wore shorts most every day.
We made reservations online and by phone. We do not recommed
Mendeltna cabins and campground

Good luck!

Old September 27th, 2004, 09:34 AM
JLeary256

August, no mosquitoes:

Wrong- can be significant bug problems up through the last week of August.
And most definately a given early August. Bush areas definately, citys no.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:34 AM
JLeary256

Old September 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM
JLeary256

There are MANY- you need to determine- HOW much time you have and what route
you can do. If you have 2 weeks- then consider a one way cruise and interior
touring. I am no fan of cruisetours and find them extremely costly for what
little you get. Be very very informed on WHAT you purchase if you go this
route- but superior will be a private tour or independent. I give a big edge
to Seward- BUT way too many just pass through this touring gem. I alway would
never consider a one way without the extra time nor without College Fjords.
Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska. Good
concise guidebooks. If you can't invest the extra time then consider round
trip Vancouver rather than Seattle- more inside passage sailing. HAL is
superior for Glacier Bay out of Vancouver. Basic- look what is OUTSIDE the
ship- ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. Budget fully for costly
excursions- you get only half a trip without them. The more you know the
better your choices will be for you.
Old September 27th, 2004, 05:17 PM
JLeary256

We spent two weeks in Alaska, August of 2002. Heard the mosquito
horror stories, so came prepared. Didn't see a mosquito the whole
time. Started the trip in Fairbanks, hit the Denali area, Anchorage,
and then southeast including Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, etc.

I'll just about bet you didn't hit Wonder Lake??? Significant bugs- again
usually up through the last week of August.