Almalfi coast of Italy

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Almalfi coast of Italy

I've never been to Italy - never thought of it until I turned on the TV
last night and saw this part of it on PBS - I suspect it was an "Over
Italy" show like "Above Germany") it was an aerial tour of Italy - a
series of short clips looking down as they flew along. They were showing
a coastal route like Big Sur and all I know is that the text with the
clip read " near Sapri" . It may have been 100 miles away ? I went
searching online for info / video and can only find things like this
comment from a poster at Rick Steve's website:

"The entire coast line from Sapri south for the next 100 miles is simply
stunning. The water is emerald green and the coast is dotted with tiny
coves and broad sand beaches. It reminded me of the Big Sur coast of
California, only more isolated."

For those that have been there ... about that road ... it looks pretty
narrow and no guard rails which might take some of the fun out of it if
someone coming at you isn't paying attention. Is that right ?
What's the climate like near there - is it cold in February or tropical
?

What is this road ? WHERE IS THIS ? How do I get there ? Where to fly
into ? What's at each end of "that road" ?

Old December 18th, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bernard T. Higonnet

- Bobb - wrote:

For those that have been there ... about that road ... it looks pretty
narrow and no guard rails which might take some of the fun out of it if
someone coming at you isn't paying attention. Is that right ?

I've driven that road a couple of times, and it mostly depends on your idea
of fun. I liked it, but then I enjoy driving in Paris (when traffic is at
least moving a little).

What's the climate like near there - is it cold in February or tropical

Not tropical

What is this road ? WHERE IS THIS ?

Try Google "Amalfi coast"...

Bernard Higonnet
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:44:56 -0500, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

"The entire coast line from Sapri south for the next 100 miles is simply
stunning. The water is emerald green and the coast is dotted with tiny
coves and broad sand beaches. It reminded me of the Big Sur coast of
California, only more isolated."

I don't know Big Sur but I found the Amalfi coast very populated
(but I'm more a west coast of Scotland person, most people are far
more impressed than I was).

For those that have been there ... about that road ... it looks pretty
narrow and no guard rails which might take some of the fun out of it if
someone coming at you isn't paying attention. Is that right ?

I thought there were crash barriers, it seems fairly narrow to
Americans I think. As a Brit I didn't think it merited mention driving
wise, there are many more difficult roads about. To generalise about
driving, live Italians don't do not paying attention, but they do tend
to do overtaking in optimistic places! If you want Italian driving at
its best, try Napoli. But don't think inattention or slow reactions
are going to be adequate!

What's the climate like near there - is it cold in February or tropical

You're quite far south do it should be reasonably temperate, nothing
better.
--
Mike Reid
"Christmas is the Disneyfication of Christianity" Don Cupitt (theologian)
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, - Bobb - wrote:

the text with the clip read " near Sapri" .

What is this road ? WHERE IS THIS ? How do I get there ? Where to fly into ?
What's at each end of "that road" ?

No idea about the details, and never been there, but Sapri has nothing
to do with Amalfi. The Amalfi Coast is the southern shore of the
Penisola Sorrentina, a small peninsula between Naples and Salerno.

Sapri (renowned in Italy for a poem about the expedition of Carlo
Pisacane in our XIX century "Risorgimento" "they were 300, young and
strong ... and are dead") is located at the extreme south of Campania,
towards the border with Calabria (and Basilicata, there is a very short
stretch of the coast belonging to Basilicata).

So the nearest airports may be Naples or Lamezia.

You should get at least a road map with Google maps asking for Sapri (it
used to have also a satellite map, but what I get now with my Firefox
browser is just a road map, and a notice "browser partially supported",
I hate these microsoftish things).

What's the climate like near there - is it cold in February or tropical ?

Tropical definitely no, and never nowhere in Italy. I do not know the
area, but I expect it to be relatively warm (warmer than the north),
although with current seasons one can never know ... if it gets cold
(and there are mountains nearby) in the south it can be annoying because
houses are under-heated there.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

In article ,
(- Bobb -) wrote:

For those that have been there ... about that road ... it looks pretty
narrow and no guard rails which might take some of the fun out of it if
someone coming at you isn't paying attention. Is that right ?
What's the climate like near there - is it cold in February or tropical

I was there in January a few years ago. It was sweater weather in the
evening, and often during the day, though it could get reasonably warm
when the sun was out. A little rain.

Old December 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, 'Capri' might start you off rather better.
Roughly, the coast road is from Sorrento to Amalfi.
The scenery is colossal, as is Amalfi itself and other towns.
February weather could be from mild to even chilly.

Surreyman

Old December 19th, 2006, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

The Amalfi coast has other attractions. (It was raining when I went there).
This was very attractive, even in the rain.

Both visits were in August, BTW.

I rated it as lovely from the sea, but the trip along the road is more
of an experience than a pleasure.

It's not suggested to drive on that coastal road. Better to hire a
driver so the tourist can view the scenery rather than concentrating on
who might be careening from the opposite direction of the blind turns.
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel[_3_]

wrote:

"The entire coast line from Sapri south for the next 100 miles is simply
stunning. The water is emerald green and the coast is dotted with tiny
coves and broad sand beaches. It reminded me of the Big Sur coast of
California, only more isolated."

I don't know Big Sur but I found the Amalfi coast very populated
(but I'm more a west coast of Scotland person, most people are far
more impressed than I was).

Reid, the OP is talking about Sapri, which is just south of the Cilento
area.
We took a vacation down in the Cilento 2 years back, and it is the
most spectacular scenery. It is not at all crowded, and is more or less
unknown as a tourist destination outside of Italy- one reason most
likely being that until recently, it was virtually inaccessible.
Under Mussolini, political opponents were banned there, because the
lack of communications and transport cut them off from the rest of the
world. A new highway is in the process of being built from Salerno
through the heartland of Cilento which will probably mean that tourism
will start to expand and the roads clog up.

T.