delayed by TSA

Old January 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Default delayed by TSA

JA_MORAN wrote:

was at an airport today trying to catch a flight to another city.

It is unusual to take a flight to the same city.

You claim to be a frequent flyer, yet you don't understand your shoes
are supposed to be removed, and you ara supposed to do as told.
Did you tell them about your knife?
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in
shoes, especially ones with metal supports in.

Any proof of that?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

Default delayed by TSA again

I am not one who takes kindly or believes in the "zero tolerance" phrase

If that thinking were in place when I was in elementary or high school,
who knows where I'd be or how many times my parent's would have been
called. At that time "be reasonable and be fair" was how people thought.

I have always been and will always be one who asks WHY, HOW COME, saying
do it because someone said do will never be good enough for me.

The world needs people to look at things critically and say when things
are NOT RIGHT or make suggestions on what can be improved.

If I complain, I will say I don't like because.. not just I don't like

well, I was flying to another city for a meeting then flying back later
the same day, that's not too unusual.

we need to make our senators and represenatives and presidential
canidates too be subject to the exact same treatment everyone else must
go through. If that were the case, I wonder how fast things would change

the average traveler just wants to get someplace, they have no evil
intentions.

Also with Airport security the aim should not be to delay travelers, but
to speed them through. Often people percieve the security (and it often
is) as a way to get delayed.

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "William Black"
wrote:

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in
shoes, especially ones with metal supports in.

Any proof of that?

Ever looked at a shoe? Anything long and flat (razor blades, etc) would
fit easily under the insole of nearly any enclosed-foot shoe.

Whether that would constitute a threat or not, I don't know -- I'd argue
no. However, since it's within the TSA's mandate to try to prevent
blades from getting on the plane, it's not an unreasonable search.
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Mr. Travel" wrote:
You can't hide anything in your shoes that you can't hind elsewhere.

You mean, stick up your hind-quarters?
IMHO, if they're going to make us take uoff our shoes, they should
at least stock a few cans of air freshener.

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"JA_MORAN" wrote:
Also with Airport security, the aim should not be to delay travelers,
but to speed them through.

LOL. Perhaps in whatever planet you're from.

Old January 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JA_Moran

lets not forget phones, My new cell phone is flat enough to fit in a
shoe under the arch of my foot...

remember Agent 86 Maxwell Smart and his shoe phone, played by Don Adams
and the Chief, and Agent 99.

Old January 16th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "William Black"
wrote:

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things
in
shoes, especially ones with metal supports in.

Any proof of that?

Ever looked at a shoe? Anything long and flat (razor blades, etc) would
fit easily under the insole of nearly any enclosed-foot shoe.

Whether that would constitute a threat or not, I don't know -- I'd argue
no. However, since it's within the TSA's mandate to try to prevent
blades from getting on the plane, it's not an unreasonable search.

So that's a 'no' then.

The old CIA 'plastic knife', freely available just about anywhere as a
letter opener, will not trigger the metal detector, just stick one in your
pocket...

See http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/nfk.htm for details...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 16th, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim \(not at home\)

"me" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 4:23 pm, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:
"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

[snip]
I think there should be a more user friendly security system, once where
footware can be screened while on one's feet.

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile
changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in shoes,
especially ones with metal supports in.

Hide "things" such as what?

a knife

tim

Old January 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message
.. .
lets not forget phones, My new cell phone is flat enough to fit in a shoe
under the arch of my foot...

Stop the music! Back up the truck! You bitched and whined about having to
take off your shoes, and now you're telling us what you can hide in
them?????