Novelist with questions re 1995

Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
boyk

Default Novelist with questions re 1995

For a novel I'm writing, I need to know 1995 air fares (within 10%)
domestic USA and international. United AL was helpful when I began;
but something's changed in the intervening years, and though I write
repeatedly to them and they send a form saying they will reply, they
don't. I'll be grateful for direction to any database. Please reply by
email.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:47:27 -0700 (PDT), boyk
wrote:

For a novel I'm writing, I need to know 1995 air fares (within 10%)
domestic USA and international. United AL was helpful when I began;
but something's changed in the intervening years, and though I write
repeatedly to them and they send a form saying they will reply, they
don't. I'll be grateful for direction to any database. Please reply by
email.

SFO to LAX $25.
SFO to LHR $4-600 R/T
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
boyk

Thanks. I didn't make myself clear. I need a moderately comprehensive
listing, so as to work on the costs for a touring performer who must
fly first-class.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Bert Hyman

In

boyk wrote:

Thanks. I didn't make myself clear. I need a moderately comprehensive
listing, so as to work on the costs for a touring performer who must
fly first-class.

Maybe you can dig something out of this

http://www.bts.gov/help/air_travel_price_index.html

Your tax dollars at work.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

"boyk" wrote in message
For a novel I'm writing, I need to know 1995 air fares (within 10%)
domestic USA and international. United AL was helpful when I began;
but something's changed in the intervening years, and though I write
repeatedly to them and they send a form saying they will reply, they
don't. I'll be grateful for direction to any database. Please reply by
email.

I paid £375 for an open-jaw in late August/September 1995. Outward
NCL-LHR-SFO and return SEA-AMS-NCL.
--

JohnT

Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
PTravel[_1_]

"boyk" wrote in message
For a novel I'm writing, I need to know 1995 air fares (within 10%)
domestic USA and international. United AL was helpful when I began;
but something's changed in the intervening years, and though I write
repeatedly to them and they send a form saying they will reply, they
don't. I'll be grateful for direction to any database. Please reply by
email.

Go over to www.flyertalk.com and ask there. You may find someone who can
help you, particularly because airline personnel participate.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
boyk

On Mar 23, 3:47 pm, "PTravel" wrote:
"boyk" wrote in message

For a novel I'm writing, I need to know 1995 air fares (within 10%)
domestic USA and international. United AL was helpful when I began;
but something's changed in the intervening years, and though I write
repeatedly to them and they send a form saying they will reply, they
don't. I'll be grateful for direction to any database. Please reply by
email.

Go over towww.flyertalk.comand ask there. You may find someone who can
help you, particularly because airline personnel participate.

* Thanks to all. -jb
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
boyk

This is tough! United Air Lines, which was v helpful when I began the
novel, is now protected by an impermeable stone wall. No media-
relations department, no number for exec. offices available, no
nothing. (I've tried!) Some other airlines ditto, and the very few
that allow mere peons to contact them, do not respond. Travel agents
don't have data back that far, or don't remember about specific years.
Newspaper archives show old ads, but those are mainly coach fares,
where I need business- and first-class. OK, I give up.
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

boyk wrote:

This is tough! United Air Lines, which was v helpful when I began the
novel, is now protected by an impermeable stone wall. No media-
relations department, no number for exec. offices available, no
nothing. (I've tried!) Some other airlines ditto, and the very few
that allow mere peons to contact them, do not respond. Travel agents
don't have data back that far, or don't remember about specific years.
Newspaper archives show old ads, but those are mainly coach fares,
where I need business- and first-class. OK, I give up.

How many times have you said you give up?
I thought you gave up a week or two ago
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

TMOliver wrote:

"boyk" wrote in message

This is tough! United Air Lines, which was v helpful when I began the
novel, is now protected by an impermeable stone wall. No media-
relations department, no number for exec. offices available, no
nothing. (I've tried!) Some other airlines ditto, and the very few
that allow mere peons to contact them, do not respond. Travel agents
don't have data back that far, or don't remember about specific years.
Newspaper archives show old ads, but those are mainly coach fares,
where I need business- and first-class. OK, I give up.

I suspect that a few hours (and subscribing - free - to www.flyertalk.com

This was recommended the last time he gave up.