Time to stop flying?

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

Default Time to stop flying?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:02:21 GMT, Benjamin Dover
wrote:

"Tim C." wrote in
t:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:43:06 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

why else would real flight simulators have three axis motion
simulated?

Many flight simulators, including some with the magic FAA
Certification, do not simulate motion.

That wasn't the point, was it Mixi?

Mixi is incapable of seeing the point. Always has been, always will be.

It's time what's his name?, who made the original simulate a human being
called
Mixi, released Version 5.

I can't recollect whether it was Miguel Cruz or Arthur C Clarke, but it was
definitely one of them.
--

JohnT

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
William Black writes:

So how many light aircraft have you flown in?

Nothing lighter than a commuter turboprop that I can recall.

So you don't know...

Idiot.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

"Mike...." wrote in
news
Following up to Benjamin Dover

its a bit boring and it doesnt work at the poles (FS2004)

My biggest problem with the flight feature in google earth is that
you can't fly fast enough (around 1000 knots max) or high enough
(around 60,000 feet.)

What? You can't simulate the Sled? What type of crap simulator is
that?

its got ski planes but there are problems with the maths

Landing at McMurdoe (FS2004, probably fixed now)
(click on the jpeg for the next one)
"http://www.lawn-mower-man.co.uk/approach.htm"

It seems that near the poles they didnt have sufficient precision to
place runways precisely, which makes for a bit of fun.

Not a sled, the Sled. Aka Habu. Offical designation SR-71.
Admitted top altitude: FL 850
Admitted top speed: Mach 3.1+

If your library has a copy, read "Sled Driver" by Brian Shul.

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:37:58 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
. ..

Commercial transports are not exactly roller-coasters. There are
some sensations, but if all you live for is sensation in flight,
they can be disappointing. However, if you like other aspects of
aviation, such as precision navigation, systems, procedures, or
simply the feeling of being the
reliable pilot getting lots of happy passengers to their
destinations, flying
a commercial transport can be enjoyable.

How could you possibly know any of that? By your own recent admission,
you don't like travelling and haven't flown in years. Playing a
Microsoft game in an overheated broom cupboard in Paris doesn't
magically turn you into a latter-day Howard Hughes.

He is trying to emulate him.

Except Mixi has never had a real life to retreat from.

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Marty Shapiro

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:21:59 +0200, "Tim C."
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:46:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

How many walk away from plane crashes?

Quite a few. In general, if you land your aircraft under control...

Isn't that the definition of not crashing?

Nit picker!

Would do you call the recent 777 incident at LHR - a crash or a landing?
Everyone survived.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 07:01:35 GMT, Benjamin Dover
wrote:

"Tim C." wrote in
:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:39:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

Which do prefer
a) A virtual trip to the Land of Nania flown in a cupboard by Mixi
b) A real trip to Treviso flown by a blonde female KLM pilot.
c) A nice cup of tea.

I think the cup of tea wins.

You've never seen some of the blonde female KLM pilots.

oh but we have )

I remember the one who was in the right seat many years ago when I wangeld
an inflight visit to the cockpit. She made 99% of the Playmates look ugly.

Old April 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

"William Black" wrote in
:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
William Black writes:

So how many light aircraft have you flown in?

Nothing lighter than a commuter turboprop that I can recall.

So you don't know...

Idiot.

Mixi thinks he knows everying.

In a piloting newsgroup he asked where the ejector seat handle was in a
Baron.

Old April 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mike....[_4_]

Following up to Marty Shapiro

Would do you call the recent 777 incident at LHR - a crash or a landing?
Everyone survived.

a crash landing! :-) You survive crash landing, you probably dont survive
mid air problems.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:21:03 GMT, Marty Shapiro wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:46:16 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

How many walk away from plane crashes?

Quite a few. In general, if you land your aircraft under control...

Isn't that the definition of not crashing?

Nit picker!

Would do you call the recent 777 incident at LHR - a crash or a landing?
Everyone survived.

A crash doesn't have to kill anyone.

--
Tim C.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:04:20 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:25:48 +0200, "Tim C." wrote:

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:43:06 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

why else would real flight simulators have three axis motion simulated?

Many flight simulators, including some with the magic FAA Certification, do
not simulate motion.

That wasn't the point, was it Mixi?

I didn't expect him to answer my question. It's strange that he didn't snip it.

His posts remind me more and more of the random pearls of wisdom that used to be
printed on Bryant and May match boxes when I was a kid.

I remember them !
Or more like those pearls of wisdom you get out of Christmas crackers.
--
Tim C.