Time to stop flying?

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Default Time to stop flying?

Mr. Travel writes:

The FAA doesn't care what toys pilots when they are not getting OFFICIAL
FAA approved training.

The FAA doesn't fly the plane; the pilot does.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Mr. Travel writes:

Didn't you previously say there were no standards for simulators?

None for simulators in general. FAA standards for certification only matter
if you care about FAA standards for certification.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Mr. Travel writes:

Has any of the discussion in this newsgroup indicate that we care about
standards that are nre not applicable to REAL flight?

Your attempt at forced teaming is noted. You speak for yourself, not anyone
else, so "we" is inappropriate.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Tim C. writes:

Isn't that the definition of not crashing?

Not quite. You can crash in controlled flight or uncontrolled flight.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Marty Shapiro writes:

Would do you call the recent 777 incident at LHR - a crash or a landing?

Both. They are not mutually exclusive.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Mr. Travel writes:

... too much time "training" with MSFS.

Many accident pilots have never been anywhere near MSFS. Indeed, the most
common personality types among accident pilots would sneer at a simulator.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Yes, except in my analogy I'm equating the concert pianist with someone
who can actually fly a plane.

So anyone other than a concert pianist cannot actually play a piano?

Not quite.

I'd pay a concert pianist to play in front of me.

Although the last time I played alongside...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
JohnT writes:

How could you possibly know any of that?

By educating myself.

By your own recent admission, you don't like travelling and
haven't flown in years.

There are other ways to learn things besides trial and error.

But you don't really know anything.
--

JohnT

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:03:04 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Good try, but no one said it was _everything_.

Many pilots with limitations imply as much.

Yes, when they start having conversations like this with their
mechanics:

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks causes throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.

P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:22:21 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Yes, except in my analogy I'm equating the concert pianist with someone
who can actually fly a plane.

So anyone other than a concert pianist cannot actually play a piano?

Not quite.

I'd pay a concert pianist to play in front of me.

Although the last time I played alongside...

Chopsticks anyone?