Time to stop flying?

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

Default Time to stop flying?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
JohnT writes:

How could you possibly know any of that?

By educating myself.

By your own recent admission, you don't like travelling and
haven't flown in years.

There are other ways to learn things besides trial and error.

But you don't really know anything.
--

JohnT

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:03:04 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Good try, but no one said it was _everything_.

Many pilots with limitations imply as much.

Yes, when they start having conversations like this with their
mechanics:

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks causes throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.

P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
John Kulp

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:22:21 +0100, "William Black"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Yes, except in my analogy I'm equating the concert pianist with someone
who can actually fly a plane.

So anyone other than a concert pianist cannot actually play a piano?

Not quite.

I'd pay a concert pianist to play in front of me.

Although the last time I played alongside...

Chopsticks anyone?
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Good try, but no one said it was _everything_.

Many pilots with limitations imply as much.

About the only thing I can think of that we have in common is that
neither of us are pilots. So, that little attempt at irrelevance didn't
work.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Yes, except in my analogy I'm equating the concert pianist with someone
who can actually fly a plane.

So anyone other than a concert pianist cannot actually play a piano?

Not what I said. Try again.

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Go Fig wrote:

In article , Mike....
wrote:

Following up to vid Horne, _the_ chancellor

Nothing wrong with learning on an electronic piano for amateurs. You
won't become a highly trained classical pianist that way.

but you could learn the basics, couldnt you?

We have a Clavinova 'Grand', and for learning its much better than a
traditional style...

Better or learning on than a traditional _Clavinova_? Quite possibly.

The most important things required to learn the piano are a) practice
and b) a good teacher. (You can add motivation, but I think a large part
of that is included in a) and even b)) For anyone to be highly trained
as a classical pianist, they will eventually move to an acoustic if they
ever started on anything else (which is actually quite rare, even
today.) And not because someone told them they had to...

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Nothing wrong with learning on an electronic piano for amateurs. You
won't become a highly trained classical pianist that way.

Why not?

Because I told you so.

They are completely different instruments to anyone with a reasonable
level of understanding of them. To be clear here, I have no problem with
electronic pianos for many kinds of uses. I have one at home- not least
because I like being able to do finger bashing without disturbing my
partner or the neighbours. You can't effectively do that with an
acoustic- even uprights with a practice pedal. They also require almost
no maintenance, and are relatively cheap, and most are far more
portable. They are wonderful inventions for most people who just want to
play the piano at home, and even in many concert venues, perfectly fine.
For instance, for stage use (usually take up less space than regular
pianos) and rock concerts etc.- all of which usually using amplification
of some sort or another.

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) writes:

Good try, but no one said it was _everything_.

Many pilots with limitations imply as much.

Only to an asshole like you who doesn't know **** from shinola about
aviation or anything else.

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

JohnT writes:

How could you possibly know any of that?

By educating myself.

By your own recent admission, you don't like travelling and
haven't flown in years.

There are other ways to learn things besides trial and error.

The way you learn Anthony is to stick your head up your ass and inhale.
Ma

Old April 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Benjamin Dover

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Mr. Travel writes:

Has any of the discussion in this newsgroup indicate that we care
about standards that are nre not applicable to REAL flight?

Your attempt at forced teaming is noted. You speak for yourself, not
anyone else, so "we" is inappropriate.

And you speak through your asshole.