CDG Air France Tight connection, or too tight?

Old September 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SBC News

Default CDG Air France Tight connection, or too tight?

Can anyone tell me whether this connection (apparently a published one) is feasible? How far between CDG 2E and 2F. Sounds close, but that usually means it's about 5 miles apart by bus and tram and shoe.

Looks like about 1/2 an hour (assuming on time!) to taxi to gate, deplane (back of coach!), get to 2F.

Is this likely a disaster connection or does it have a fighting chance? It must do ONE WOULD THINK since Air France sold the ticket for it :-)

Thanks in advance for any regular CDGers' feedback,

Mike

Flight: AF031
From: G Bush Intercontinental, Houston, USA - TERMINAL D
Departing: September 29, 2007 21:55

To: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2E
Arriving: September 30, 2007 14:25

Flight: AF5853
From: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2F
Departing: September 30, 2007 15:25

To: NCL, Newcastle, UNITED KINGDOM - TERMINAL
Arriving: September 30, 2007 16:00

From: G Bush Intercontinental, Houston, USA - TERMINAL D
Departing: September 29, 2007 21:55
To: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2E

From: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2F
Departing: September 30, 2007 15:25
To: NCL, Newcastle, UNITED KINGDOM - TERMINAL
Arriving: September 30, 2007 16:00
***

The minimum connection time voor CDG is 50 minutes, so the offer is valid.
The other question is whether you will make it and that chance is slim. My
reasons for thinking that? Terminal 2E isn't fully functional and the
aircraft will probably park on a remote stand, meaning bussing passengers to
terminal 2E. Then there probably is a security check and then another bus to
Terminal 2F. The good news is that later there's another direct flight to
NCL and several other options to get to NCL via AMS or SOU :-)
It won't hurt asking at check-in what the options are if you can't make it
or asking to be seated more in front near the exit. Before landing you could
ask the same thing, tell/ show the cabin crew you have a tight connection. I
do think, however, your luggage will make it. Personally I like to have
ample time and try to book long(er) layovers to avoid any stress.
Greetings,

-20.10h: AF 5855

From: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2F
Departing: September 30, 2007 15:25

I would not take the chance. It your first leg is delayed, if you're
not quick enuff into the terminal and thru passport control... I can
understand why AF would schedule such a short layover. It might
be doable for a Euro-national who could flash a passport and then
breeze thru CDG, but for a US national, unfamiliar with CDG, it'd
be a recipe for failure. =R=

From: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2F
Departing: September 30, 2007 15:25

I would not take the chance. It your first leg is delayed, if you're
not quick enuff into the terminal and thru passport control... I can
understand why AF would schedule such a short layover. It might
be doable for a Euro-national who could flash a passport and then
breeze thru CDG, but for a US national, unfamiliar with CDG, it'd
be a recipe for failure. =R=

The transfer should be Airside without any passport control as the ultimate
destination is the UK, which is not within the Schengen Zone.
--

JohnT

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SBC News

I should have said, although US Perm Resident, am UK national with UK
passport.

So maybe there's hope? Having been in the US for many years with infrequent
trips to Europe passport control within Europe is mysterious to me.

Perhaps on this trip with UK passport there's no passport check at CDG. The
logistics of that are beyond me. The last time I went through CDG I was
ongoing to Nice and I think it was there (NCE) that they checked passports.
But quite how they know you are going to make a connection and not walk out
of CDG . . .

Perhaps someone could tell me if Passport control at CDG will happen for a
UK Passort Holder travelling from the US via CDG ongoing destination
Newcastle UK?

Thanks again.

Mike

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
To: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2E

Old September 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

"SBC News" wrote in message
t...

Perhaps someone could tell me if Passport control at CDG will happen for a
UK Passort Holder travelling from the US via CDG ongoing destination
Newcastle UK?

You should remain airside at CDG and your Passport will be examined and your
bags will (in theory) be subject to Customs examination at your final
destination, which is NCL.
--

JohnT

Old September 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:54:12 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

"SBC News" wrote in message
. net...

Perhaps someone could tell me if Passport control at CDG will happen for
UK Passort Holder travelling from the US via CDG ongoing destination
Newcastle UK?

You should remain airside at CDG and your Passport will be examined and
your
bags will (in theory) be subject to Customs examination at your final
destination, which is NCL.

What happens when it arrives the following day?

This scenario happens always when I fly back to NCL via LHR or BRU from
Switzerland. My bag gets checked-in at a Swiss Rail station and their bar
codes don't get recognised at airports so luggage has to be sorted manually
and never connects. So I go to the BA or Swissport desk in baggage reclaim
at NCL and am asked if my bag has any dutiable articles from outside the EU.
Regardless of whether I answer in the affirmative or not, my bag is always
delivered to me the following morning by taxi, unopened and unexamined.

--

JohnT

From: Charles de Gaulle, Paris, FRANCE - TERMINAL 2F
Departing: September 30, 2007 15:25

I would not take the chance. It your first leg is delayed, if you're
not quick enuff into the terminal and thru passport control... I can
understand why AF would schedule such a short layover. It might
be doable for a Euro-national who could flash a passport and then
breeze thru CDG, but for a US national, unfamiliar with CDG, it'd
be a recipe for failure. =R=

Given that description, it doesn't sound like you have any experience
with this transfer.
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Stephen Farrow

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:54:12 +0100, "JohnT" wrote:

"SBC News" wrote in message
t...
Perhaps someone could tell me if Passport control at CDG will happen for a
UK Passort Holder travelling from the US via CDG ongoing destination
Newcastle UK?

You should remain airside at CDG and your Passport will be examined and your
bags will (in theory) be subject to Customs examination at your final
destination, which is NCL.

What happens when it arrives the following day?

When that's happened to me (arriving at MAN off a connection via AMS or
LHR from YYZ), the bag has been delivered to me at my parents' house by
van or by taxi, unopened and unexamined.

--

Stephen

Dolly: He's not ideal for James Bond, Sooty. He'd never be able to
handle the gadgets.
Anita: He could surprise the villains. They wouldn't be looking down
that far.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

I have connected from AF out of Houston in Paris to an intra-European flight
and this is really pushing it. The problem is that the inter-terminal buses
tend to be a full and the stop a madhouse. Unless you can run it (clear
customs, then run to the connection at 2F), you aren't going to make it.

I'd look for a later flight.

"SBC News" wrote et ...

From: G Bush Intercontinental, Houston, USA - TERMINAL D
Departing: September 29, 2007 21:55