A theoretical scenario and what would happen: would appreciate feed back

Old September 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SBC News

Default A theoretical scenario and what would happen: would appreciate feed back

I had previously asked in this forum about a very tight connection on a

IAH-CDG-NCL (Air France) flight which has a scant 1 hour connection in Paris
for the ongoing flight to Newcastle.

What would happen in this scenario:

I miss the connection.

They (for some bizarre reason cannot get me on the next(evening) flight to
Newcastle) and tell me "we'll put you on the first flight tomorrow".
"Tomorrow" is no good for me and if that happened I would want to try to
find an Easy Jet alternative [that I pay for of course], or, worst case,
even take the train to the UK.

However, this is the question: if I "go my own way" on the CDG-NCL leg does
that completely invalidate my ticket for the return flight NCL-CDG-IAH?
Or is it a valid last resort and will not affect the ticket thereby.

I will have one checked bag (one carry-on) so that might scupper things as
well. Jeez!

Another shade on this question is "do they have to get me there that day by
some means unless there's a truly exotic set of circumstances?

Again, after many years in the US the finer points of how the Europeans
handle these issues are vague to me.

So thank you in advance.

Mike

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_3_]

"SBC News" wrote in message
[...]

I think you will find that the terms of carriage do not require AF to get
you there by any specific time. If you miss the connection, and if they
cannot put you on a later flight that day, then they are still going to have
difficulty in retrieving your checked bag. When that happened to me
(admittedly on BA and at LHR) I was given a hotel room for the night and an
overnight kit. The question about validity of return tickets should you
decide to travel independently to NCL from CDG is something which only AF
could answer, and even then only at that time. It would help if you were
travelling on a high value ticket, of course! My experience of AF is that
they don't try very hard.
--

JohnT

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"SBC News" wrote in message
I had previously asked in this forum about a very tight connection on a

IAH-CDG-NCL (Air France) flight which has a scant 1 hour connection in
Paris for the ongoing flight to Newcastle.

What would happen in this scenario:

I miss the connection.

They (for some bizarre reason cannot get me on the next(evening) flight to
Newcastle) and tell me "we'll put you on the first flight tomorrow".

I'm sure that they will try and route you differently.
There will be lots of flights to London that they can find you a seat on.

"Tomorrow" is no good for me and if that happened I would want to try to
find an Easy Jet alternative [that I pay for of course], or, worst case,
even take the train to the UK.

However, this is the question: if I "go my own way" on the CDG-NCL leg
does that completely invalidate my ticket for the return flight
NCL-CDG-IAH?

Very unlikely.

tim