rent car from Amsterdam to Brussels

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ann G.

Default rent car from Amsterdam to Brussels

We are from California.
Two of us is travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels next month.
We plan to drive from Amsterdam and stay over night at Antwerpen, then, go
to Brussels. We want to rent a small car.

Can you please tell me what is the best car rental prices?
I hesitate to book at Europcar.com because they want me to pay up front.
But the price I pay do not show drop off charges.
I email them, and they want me to call them.
I do not speak Dutch.

Any suggestions?

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:16:46 -0800, "Ann G."
wrote:

We are from California.
Two of us is travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels next month.
We plan to drive from Amsterdam and stay over night at Antwerpen, then, go
to Brussels. We want to rent a small car.

The obvious questions a

Why on earth do you want to rent a car to go only the 108 miles
(173 km) from Amsterdam to Brussels?

It's only about 30 miles from Antwerp to Brussels? Why stop in
Antwerp?

Why not simply take a train? A lot less hassle than renting and
then turning in a car.

Can you please tell me what is the best car rental prices?
I hesitate to book at Europcar.com because they want me to pay up front.
But the price I pay do not show drop off charges.
I email them, and they want me to call them.
I do not speak Dutch.

Almost all residents of the Netherlands speak excellent English.
And you can call the Netherlands pretty cheaply (I assume you're
an American). If you don't have Skype installed and you have a
broadband connection, install it.

Any suggestions?

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ann G.

wrote:

We are from California.
Two of us is travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels next month.
We plan to drive from Amsterdam and stay over night at Antwerpen, then, go
to Brussels. We want to rent a small car.

The obvious questions a

Why on earth do you want to rent a car to go only the 108 miles
(173 km) from Amsterdam to Brussels?

It's only about 30 miles from Antwerp to Brussels? Why stop in
Antwerp?

Why not simply take a train? A lot less hassle than renting and
then turning in a car.

Thank you.

Actually, we wish to drive to Brugge and check out the castle that all our
friends talk about.

Old April 20th, 2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
d.g.s.

On 4/19/2008 3:50 PM Ann G. ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

Actually, we wish to drive to Brugge and check out the castle that all
our friends talk about.

Where is this castle? What is it called?
--
dgs
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ann G.

"d.g.s." wrote in message
On 4/19/2008 3:50 PM Ann G. ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

Actually, we wish to drive to Brugge and check out the castle that all
our friends talk about.

Where is this castle? What is it called?
--
dgs

This castle is in the city called Brugge (Bruges) in Belgium, west of
Antwerpen (Antwerp).
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html
Has anyone been there? The local told me about this. Do you recommend it?

Old April 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ann G.

wrote:

We are from California.
Two of us is travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels next month.
We plan to drive from Amsterdam and stay over night at Antwerpen, then, go
to Brussels. We want to rent a small car.

The obvious questions a

Why on earth do you want to rent a car to go only the 108 miles
(173 km) from Amsterdam to Brussels?

It's only about 30 miles from Antwerp to Brussels? Why stop in
Antwerp?

Why not simply take a train? A lot less hassle than renting and
then turning in a car.

We will be trevalled in mid-May for 2 people.
What kind of train should I take from Amsterdam to Antwerp, then Antwerp to
Brussel?
Can I book online? Any advance reservation needed?

Old April 20th, 2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

d.g.s. wrote:

On 4/19/2008 4:58 PM Ann G. ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...nders-Vacation
s.html

Has anyone been there? The local told me about this. Do you recommend it?

You didn't mention the name of the castle. What is it called? I've
been to Brugge a few times. For the routing Amsterdam-Antwerp-
Brussels-Brugge, you don't need a car, and it's actually something of
a liability: possibility of traffic jams, expensive gas, drop-off fee
for taking it to a different country, parking hassles in bigger
European cities, difficulty of navigating in unfamliar places with
urban traffic, etc. Cars are best suited to going places difficult to
get to with public transport, and you've mentioned nothing like that so
far.

So ... what castle was that, again?

Ann G is Cathy, and she is collecting her 5 slices of pizza on the way
to the English Museum.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the

Old April 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
d.g.s.

On 4/19/2008 5:15 PM Ann G. ignored two million years of human evolution
to write:

We will be trevalled in mid-May for 2 people.

"Travalled?" Sorry ... I'm guessing that English isn't your native
language.

What kind of train should I take from Amsterdam to Antwerp, then Antwerp
to Brussel?

Two trains, actually. Either a Thalys or InterCity from Amsterdam to
Antwerp, and just about any train from Antwerp to Brussels. Train
service is also easy from Brussels to Brugge.

Can I book online? Any advance reservation needed?

You can book online, but I've had perfectly good luck just buying the
ticket and seat reservation (on IC or Thalys services) at the station,
which in your case is probably Amsterdam CS or Amsterdam Airport. You
won't need a seat reservation on the service from Brussels to Brugge.
--
dgs
Old April 20th, 2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

d.g.s. wrote:

On 4/19/2008 5:22 PM David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) ignored two
million years of human evolution to write:

Ann G is Cathy, and she is collecting her 5 slices of pizza on the way
to the English Museum.

Ah, time for spag bol already? Served with a nice icy glass of Coke,
no doubt ...

Not too gassy, with just a little slice of lime.