Connecting at Heathrow?

Old April 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael Feldman

Default Connecting at Heathrow?

Hi all,

In June, my wife and I will be flying British Air, Seattle - Heathrow
- CDG. We have about 3 hours between flights. How is Heathrow
(especially Terminal 5) doing these days?

Will our bags make it onto the second flight? Also, I checked Heathrow
arrivals for yesterday's flights, and our Seattle flight came into
Terminal 4 and the Paris flight left from Terminal 5. Do you think that
will be the scheme in mid-June? How do we get from T4 to T5?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mike
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_3_]

"Michael Feldman" wrote in message
Hi all,

In June, my wife and I will be flying British Air, Seattle - Heathrow -
CDG. We have about 3 hours between flights. How is Heathrow (especially
Terminal 5) doing these days?

Will our bags make it onto the second flight? Also, I checked Heathrow
arrivals for yesterday's flights, and our Seattle flight came into
Terminal 4 and the Paris flight left from Terminal 5. Do you think that
will be the scheme in mid-June? How do we get from T4 to T5?

No date announced yet for the move of BA longhaul flights from T4 to T5.

Connection information is at
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb
--

JohnT

Old April 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael Feldman

JohnT wrote:
"Michael Feldman" wrote in message
Hi all,

In June, my wife and I will be flying British Air, Seattle - Heathrow
- CDG. We have about 3 hours between flights. How is Heathrow
(especially Terminal 5) doing these days?

Will our bags make it onto the second flight? Also, I checked Heathrow
arrivals for yesterday's flights, and our Seattle flight came into
Terminal 4 and the Paris flight left from Terminal 5. Do you think
that will be the scheme in mid-June? How do we get from T4 to T5?

No date announced yet for the move of BA longhaul flights from T4 to T5.

Connection information is at
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb

Thanks, this is very helpful in providing the "official" connection
details. It does seem odd that in going from T4 to T5 within the
"sterile" part of the airport, we still need to go through security
again. After all, we'll have done all that back in Seattle.

What's the latest news on the baggage problems at T5? Yesterday I tried
the usual media sources on the net, but saw nothing more recent than the
beginning of April. Does that mean things have improved to the point
that T5 is no longer newsworthy?

Thanks!

Mike
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:06:36 -0700, Michael Feldman
wrote:

What's the latest news on the baggage problems at T5? Yesterday I tried
the usual media sources on the net, but saw nothing more recent than the
beginning of April. Does that mean things have improved to the point
that T5 is no longer newsworthy?

I flew in from AMS last week, my bag was first out - which was pretty
convenient as I was also the only person who'd made it to the belt by
the time they were coming out - I'm not sure having a train that must
go not much more than 300 yards is really very useful.

What was interesting though was it had lots all its labels, there was
nothing left on it - I assume this isn't some part of system - but it
still made it to the right place anyway.

There's been no more news coverage on the baggage problems, which
pretty much means it's working normal for heathrow I assume.

Jim.
Old April 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

JohnT wrote:
[...]

You have to do the same going from T4 to T3/T2/T1 and vice versa.
I assume it's because you do physically leave the terminal and
take a shuttle to the other. It's a different security checkpoint
than the one new arrivals to the airport use. I think.

Old April 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael Feldman

wrote:

JohnT wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. In going to Europe Seattle - Heathrow - Paris, I have 3 hours to
connect at Heathrow. But on the return, Schiphol - Heathrow - Seattle,
I arrive LHR 4:40 PM, and am scheduled to leave 6:20 PM. That's only 1
hr 40 min.

Assuming they haven't shifted the Seattle flight to T5 yet, then (as I
understand it) I'll have to go T5 - T4, with another security check, at
afternoon "rush hour". Am I asking for trouble? If that's too tight, why
did British Air suggest it as a connection?

Aarrggh, I've always hated Heathrow - now all this chaos is giving me
another reason to do so...

This is my first trip to Europe since 9/11. 'Twill be an adventure.

Mike
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:21:29 -0700, Michael Feldman
wrote:

You have to do the same going from T4 to T3/T2/T1 and vice versa.
I assume it's because you do physically leave the terminal and
take a shuttle to the other. It's a different security checkpoint
than the one new arrivals to the airport use. I think.

Yes, it's a different security checkpoint.

Hmmm. In going to Europe Seattle - Heathrow - Paris, I have 3 hours to
connect at Heathrow. But on the return, Schiphol - Heathrow - Seattle,
I arrive LHR 4:40 PM, and am scheduled to leave 6:20 PM. That's only 1
hr 40 min.

Assuming they haven't shifted the Seattle flight to T5 yet, then (as I
understand it) I'll have to go T5 - T4, with another security check, at
afternoon "rush hour". Am I asking for trouble? If that's too tight, why
did British Air suggest it as a connection?

It's plenty of time.

Jim.
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

JohnT wrote:
[...]

I've only changed flights at Heathrow a few times, since we're
usually going to or departing England, but the airside security
check has never seemed very long or onerous. Nowhere near the
long lines to get airside in the first place.

Old April 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Hatunen" wrote in message

I've only changed flights at Heathrow a few times, since we're
usually going to or departing England, but the airside security
check has never seemed very long or onerous. Nowhere near the
long lines to get airside in the first place.

The airside check (that some people here claim doesn't exist) is pretty
superficial, but the gate check can include an 'open bag' search of your
hand luggage.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael Feldman

William Black wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message

I've only changed flights at Heathrow a few times, since we're
usually going to or departing England, but the airside security
check has never seemed very long or onerous. Nowhere near the
long lines to get airside in the first place.

The airside check (that some people here claim doesn't exist) is pretty
superficial, but the gate check can include an 'open bag' search of your
hand luggage.

OK, thanks everyone. I'm much reassured now... I guess I can make the
flight in time.

Mike