Must see in L.A area?

Old August 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Xavier

Default Must see in L.A area?

Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian coast.

Could you give some advice about things we shoud do and see (or not do and
not see) in L.A. area ?

About the coast, we'll need somewhere to sleep....(believe it or not!! :-))
I already know that we'll find tons of motels but could you recommend any
one in particular because of its location, service, nearby sightseeing....

Thanks!
Xavier

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Dominic Kelly

Others more familair with the area can no doubt give you many more ideas,
but I'd recommend you check out Venice Beach and Santa Monica. There are
other nice beaches in the Orange County area south of LA, I believe. We
also drove to Malibu, although we couldn't see much there as the houses are
built right on the beach and there does not really seem to be much public
access. However you can do a drive through Beverly Hills, Bel Air etc (not
far form Hollywood) and see the ritzy houses up there.

We enjoyed Santa Barbara on the way up the coast to SF, also San Luis Obispo
where we stayed at the Madonna Inn. Monterey and Santa Cruz were
interesting also. 2 days is not really much time to see a lot.

Cheers, Dom

"Xavier" wrote in message
Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all

the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian

coast.

Could you give some advice about things we shoud do and see (or not do and
not see) in L.A. area ?

About the coast, we'll need somewhere to sleep....(believe it or not!!

:-))

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:43 PM
PeterL

"Xavier" wrote in message
Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all

the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

Well, it depends a lot on your interests. Is it museums (I recommend the LA
County Art Museum, Getty Museum, or LaBrea Tar Pit Museum), or shopping
(Rodeo Drive) or dining (too many to mention), beaches (Venice, Santa Monica
Pier, Malibu), music, night life, or what?

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian

coast.

Could you give some advice about things we shoud do and see (or not do and
not see) in L.A. area ?

About the coast, we'll need somewhere to sleep....(believe it or not!!

:-))
I already know that we'll find tons of motels but could you recommend any
one in particular because of its location, service, nearby sightseeing....

I recommend you stay in Cambria. I don't have a specific motel to
recommend. But in terms of location it's about half way and it's great for
exploring the area.

Thanks!
Xavier

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Todd Kunioka

"Xavier" wrote in message ...
Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all the
websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

[cut]

I will suggest the area around Fairfax and Wilshire. That puts you at
or near the Los Angeles County Art Museum [LACMA], the Page Discovery
Museum [La Brea Tar Pits], and the Peterson Automotive Museum. It
also puts you about three blocks south of the Farmer's Market and "The
Grove."

It's about twenty minutes walking at a moderate pace from LACMA to the
Farmer's Market. There is also MTA and LADOT bus service between
Wilshire and Fairfax and Fairfax and 6th--about once every ten minutes
for MTA, and about once every 15 minutes for LADOT. MTA service is
seven days a week, whereas LADOT does not serve this route on Sundays.
Wilshire has Metro Rapid service, with limited-stop, traffic-light
priority buses running anywhere from once every five minutes to once
every 10 minutes during most times and most days. Wilshire runs from
downtown Los Angeles on out to Santa Monica.

I hadn't been to the Farmer's Market since The Grove was constructed.
I was pretty amazed by the crowds there. It felt like I recall
Disneyland feeling, in terms of the density of people. It also felt
like you would expect any major city to feel in terms of pedestrian
traffic, but that's unusual for Los Angeles. [This was on a Sunday
afternoon]. Looks like the parking structure adjacent to each was
about ten stories high, so obviously they anticipate high
visititation.

Personally, I think the main attraction is the food choices, plus the
people-watching aspect. Most of the stores in The Grove seemed on the
higher-end in terms of price, and did not much appeal to me. But the
spectacle was certainly worth the walk and bus ride it took to get out
there.

Other suggestions could be made, but it would probably help if you
were more specific about the sorts of things you want to see and do.

TK

Old August 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Irv

Xavier wrote:

Hi all!

I've been searching the Internet for must-see things in L.A area but all
the websites I've visited give no specific information (is Hollywood the
only
thing to visit in L.A???? I'm sure it's not!)

We'll be in L.A for 1 or 2 days and we'll drive to San Francisco along the
coast.
Since we're not in a hurry, we'll take about 2 days from L.A to San
Francisco, so we have time enough to see the magnificent Californian
coast.

I lived in LA for many years, and the best thing I ever saw (dimly, thru the
smog) was the city limits sign on the way out.

Santa Barbara, OTOH, is nice. From there, head up the coast highway to SF.
That's just an amazing trip.

Irv

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:09 PM
tom

I did the exact same trip last October. Spent 3 days in LA, drove to
SF along coast(hwy 1 & 101), stayed in Cambria, which is halfway b/t
LA & SF. In Cambria, we stayed in the Moonstone Inn
(moonstoneinn.com) It was very nice. After which its about a 20
minute drive to the Hearst Castle. We took that tour also.

In LA, we are unashameded TV lovers, so we did the WB studio tour,
attended a TV Taping (King of Queens) and finally a game show at CBS
studios. We did a roundabout tour of Bev Hills(self drive), hiked in
their enormous city park. Still left off tons of other things to do.

My advice is that location is everything in LA. We stayed in
Hollywood Hills which is fairly centrally located. You'll need a car.
We were able to get to most everything via surface roads so we didn't
experience the hellatious traffic jams that are legendary in LA.

You'll have a good time. Drawbacks are that going to SF along the
coast is great, Big Sur, etc but its a LONG and twisty route. At some
point along the way we began to wish we could take a more direct
route. There a few options along the way to do so. Finally, at
Monterey we did finally take the faster, more direct rout. DON'T get
me wrong, I would take the same route again, the scenery is fantastic,
just be aware its tiresome.

If you want further specifics about LA hotel, rest., etc just e-mail
me.