French Recipe Units - Help

Old October 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Mark Fagan

Default French Recipe Units - Help

We bought a book on foods native to Nice on our recent trip, in French of
course. While I can read the recipes (with the occaisional help from a
dictionary) I'm not sure of some of the units of measure.

what is a 'mustard glass' (verre de moutarde) in milliliters?

I'm assuming a cuillere de café is the same as our teaspoon (5ml) and a
cuillere de table is 15ml.

We're trying to get socca to come out something like what we had!

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Jumbo

Hi,
here is a link to a free software called "convert" download it ...it's free.
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
it will help you for the French recipes and maybe if you have kids in school
too.
Phil Jumbo

. ..

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Jumbo

Hi again,
forgot to tell you that I am from Nice,
see you again soon.
Phil Jumbo

. ..

Old October 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Nathalie Chiva

Mark Fagan a écrit :

what is a 'mustard glass' (verre de moutarde) in milliliters?

That would be between 1.5 dl and 2 dl. Think French water glass (the kind you
get in cheap bistros).

I'm assuming a cuillere de café is the same as our teaspoon (5ml) and a
cuillere de table is 15ml.

Right.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Old October 24th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Jumbo

Hey it's me again,
another link I just forgot about it.
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/index.html
Children's science projects, simple science experiments
& kids science questions answered by
Science Made Simple
click unit conversions
a common mustard glass is 25 centiliters = 250 milliliters = a quarter of a
liter
25 Centiliters equals 8.45351 Ounces (US, fluid)
25 Centiliter equals 8.79877 Ounces (British, fluid)
Phil Jumbo

. ..

Old October 24th, 2003, 03:39 PM
James Silverton

"Jumbo" wrote in message
. ..
Hey it's me again,
another link I just forgot about it.
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/index.html
Children's science projects, simple science experiments
& kids science questions answered by
Science Made Simple
click unit conversions
a common mustard glass is 25 centiliters = 250 milliliters = a quarter of

liter
25 Centiliters equals 8.45351 Ounces (US, fluid)
25 Centiliter equals 8.79877 Ounces (British, fluid)
Phil Jumbo

"Mark Fagan" wrote in message
. ..
We bought a book on foods native to Nice on our recent trip, in French

of
course. While I can read the recipes (with the occaisional help from a
dictionary) I'm not sure of some of the units of measure.

what is a 'mustard glass' (verre de moutarde) in milliliters?

I'm assuming a cuillere de cafi is the same as our teaspoon (5ml) and a
cuillere de table is 15ml.

We're trying to get socca to come out something like what we had!

Very useful indeed! More precision than I could ever want in

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/index.html

But it was news to me that a teaspoon is 5ml.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old October 24th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Mark Fagan

It wasn't metric conversions I needed, but units 'peculiar' to France.
There are quite a few good unit conversion programs around.

I've had figures of 150, 200 and 250ml for the mustard glass so far...does
it depend on whether its a cheap bistro glass in Nice, Paris or Dijon?

"Jumbo" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
here is a link to a free software called "convert" download it ...it's

free.
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/
it will help you for the French recipes and maybe if you have kids in

school
too.
Phil Jumbo

. ..

Old October 27th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Yves Dessaux

Mark Fagan a écrit :

It wasn't metric conversions I needed, but units 'peculiar' to France.
There are quite a few good unit conversion programs around.

I've had figures of 150, 200 and 250ml for the mustard glass so far...does
it depend on whether its a cheap bistro glass in Nice, Paris or Dijon?

Hello,

These are a few that come to my mind; but I do not know whether that's what you
are looking for!

Cuillere a cafe (tea spoon)
Cuillere a soupe (table spoon)
Pincee (the amount of powder, eg salt, that you can take in between you thumb
and third finger)
Soupçon (a very tiny amount of, eg the amount of powder, spice, etc. that holds
on the tip of a sharp knife)
Bouquet (commonly use for parsley, a few stems of parsley, generally 5 to 10)
Verre a moutarde (mustard pot, about 150 ml)
Un de a coudre (that is the protection people use to put at the end of their
fingers when sawing, comonly in metal, about 2/3 ml)
Une livre (a pound, ca. 500 g)
Deux livres (two pounds,1 kg)
Une demi livre (half a pound, ca. 250 g)
Un bol ( a cup, about 300/400 ml)

Cheers,

Yves