best way to get from Stockholm to St. Petersburg?

Old March 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM
HamNCheese

Default best way to get from Stockholm to St. Petersburg?

I'm looking for a relatively cheap way to make this trip, it looks
like I need to take a combination of ferries and trains. Anyone have
any recommendations?

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Bjorn Olsson

HamNCheese wrote in message . ..
I'm looking for a relatively cheap way to make this trip, it looks
like I need to take a combination of ferries and trains. Anyone have
any recommendations?

Fly with Pulkovo:

http://eng.pulkovo.ru/

There is booking info on those pages. In addition, I think the agency
"Fram-resor" in Stockholm sell Pulkovo tickets. They're located on
Kungsgatan 56, with phone 08-21 59 34 (for best service, ask to speak
to Roger).

Bjorn
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:34 PM
louis xiv

Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

2 highlights: Sailing through the Stockholm archipelago and Helsinki
Station. The cabaret on the boat is fun too....

"Bjorn Olsson" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old March 17th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Markku Grönroos

"louis xiv" wrote in message
Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a

night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

2 highlights: Sailing through the Stockholm archipelago and Helsinki
Station. The cabaret on the boat is fun too....

Why Silja Line ferries are not an option ?

Old March 17th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Antti Tiainen

louis xiv wrote:
Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

Stockholm-Tallinn -ferry and bus from Tallinn to St. Petersburg would
also be an option. Eurolines Tallinn-St.P. bus tickets are a lot
cheaper than Helsinki-St.P -train.
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Bjorn Olsson

"louis xiv" wrote in message ...
Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

I agree it is a nice route, but I would definitely not expect it to be
cheaper. The Pulkovo flight would go for less than $200 return, which
you're very unlikely to beat. I've tried the
Stockholm-Turku-Helsinki-St Petersburg-Perm route as an alternative to
my usual Stockholm-Moscow-Perm commute, and it ended up costing about
twice as much.

But, yes, the archipelago is stunning and Helsinki is nice. On the
other hand, St Pete is a remarkable city too, so if pressed for time,
it's a matter of preference where you choose to spend it..

Bjorn

Old March 18th, 2004, 08:57 AM
ESF

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:11:23 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"louis xiv" wrote in message
Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a

night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

2 highlights: Sailing through the Stockholm archipelago and Helsinki
Station. The cabaret on the boat is fun too....

Why Silja Line ferries are not an option ?

I guess because Silja is more expensive than Viking. I used Viking
when I was there. I was told it is the "budget" line and it was fibe -
we sat in the lounge during the night.

Old March 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

"louis xiv" wrote in message
Alternately, take the Viking Ferry from Stockholm to Helsinki, stay a

night
or 2 there and then take the 'Sibelius' train from Helsinki to St
Petersburg. Not as fast as the Plane but infinitely more interesting (and
probably as cheap if not cheaper).

2 highlights: Sailing through the Stockholm archipelago and Helsinki
Station. The cabaret on the boat is fun too....

Why Silja Line ferries are not an option ?

I guess because Silja is more expensive than Viking. I used Viking
when I was there. I was told it is the "budget" line and it was fibe -
we sat in the lounge during the night.

The inexpensiveness of Viking relative to Silja is, I believe,
due to the fact that you can take an ovenight Viking without a
requirement to take a cabin. Otherwise their fares are remarkably
similar. I've only been on a Viking ferry once, but it did have a
somewhat darkened area with airline-type reclining seats.