Serengeti rains/wildebeest migration

Old April 27th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Serengeti rains/wildebeest migration

Hi

The replies to my question a month or two ago told me that the season is
rather unusual this year. What's the status of the rains? I'll be in
SE Kenya in just over a month (not expecting to see the migration there)
and in Serengeti/Ngorongoro in about 6-7 weeks. Just wondering if i
should shift my schedule on the fly?

TIA.....
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Dave Patterson

Here's a web site from Lake Ndutu Lodge.. they're right
there..
http://www.ndutu.com

Or you could ask any of these operators. They should know.
http://www.tatotz.org/

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Dave B

You could keep an eye on these web sites that seem to be fairly up to
date on the location of the migration.

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/Wildebeest_migration.html
http://www.wildwatch.com/sightings/migration.asp

From what I can gather the migration is just about where it is expected
to be (please correct me if I am wrong!)

I am off to the Serengeti/Ngorongoro in about 8 weeks time, so my
fingers are crossed...... :-)

Cheers

Dave B

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dave B wrote:

You could keep an eye on these web sites that seem to be fairly up to
date on the location of the migration.

http://www.ultimateafrica.com/Wildebeest_migration.html

Will be at the Serena Serengeti which accordin to the above site is
right amidst it in June!

http://www.wildwatch.com/sightings/migration.asp

From what I can gather the migration is just about where it is expected
to be (please correct me if I am wrong!)

I am off to the Serengeti/Ngorongoro in about 8 weeks time, so my
fingers are crossed...... :-)

Will miss you by a few weeks. Hope we both have good luck!
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Dave Patterson

A couple of notes about the migration..
the animals tend to divide themselves, wildebeest
by the thousands, with some zebras... zebras by
the thousands, with some wildebeest.
And they will be spread over an area of many
square miles wherever they are.

If you are at the Serengeti Serena and most of
them have moved west and north, they are
still quite accessible. Your game drive pattern
might be to go out after breakfast with a box
lunch and stay out till the afternoon.

Old April 28th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Edc4

We were at the Serena Serengeti last year the last week in May. Driving in
from the crater to the Serengeti we caught the migration in the Ndutu area
before entering the park, didn't see any of it on the day drives in the
Serengeti.

Be sure to tell the dining staff at the Serena hello from Ed and Pat, who they
prepared a special Ugali meal for last year!

Enjoy your trip, we loved it, going back this year to Selous and the Southern
route.

Will be at the Serena Serengeti which accordin to the above site is
right amidst it in June!

http://www.wildwatch.com/sightings/migration.asp

From what I can gather the migration is just about where it is expected

Old April 29th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Dave B

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

Will be at the Serena Serengeti which accordin to the above site is
right amidst it in June!

Will miss you by a few weeks. Hope we both have good luck!

Good luck to you also!

My wife and I are heading out to the Western corridor so hopefully we
will catch the migration. Fingers crossed they might even be crossing
Grumeti river :-).

We will be camping, which should be an experience!!

Cheers

Dave B

Old April 29th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dave B wrote:

My wife and I are heading out to the Western corridor so hopefully we
will catch the migration. Fingers crossed they might even be crossing
Grumeti river :-).

That's the croc-infested one? Where is it exactly and around when do
they start to cross it? My maps are pretty poor.

We will be camping, which should be an experience!!

It will certanly be! What is the max/min temperature then?
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Dave B

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

That's the croc-infested one? Where is it exactly and around when do
they start to cross it? My maps are pretty poor.

Yes it is the croc infested river! I suggest you have a look at this web
site if you haven't already...

http://www.africatravelresource.com/...n/N/T40/00.htm

It has loads of info on the serengeti and Tanzania in general. Once
again the maps aren't great (I can't find any decent ones that show the
course of the Grumeti!)

Where exactly are you planning to go to at the moment?

We will be camping, which should be an experience!!

It will certanly be! What is the max/min temperature then?

I'm not exactly sure but I think at this time of year it can get a
little cold at night (I will be taking some warmer clothes!)

Cheers

Dave B

Old April 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dave B wrote:

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

That's the croc-infested one? Where is it exactly and around when do
they start to cross it? My maps are pretty poor.

Yes it is the croc infested river! I suggest you have a look at this web
site if you haven't already...

http://www.africatravelresource.com/...ion/N/T40/00.h
tm

Thanks/. Haven't seen it before

It has loads of info on the serengeti and Tanzania in general. Once
again the maps aren't great (I can't find any decent ones that show the
course of the Grumeti!)

Where exactly are you planning to go to at the moment?

3 nts at Ngorongoro and 3 nts in Serengeti. Not sure if western
corridor/Grumeti will be worth going to then. We'll see when we get
there

I'm not exactly sure but I think at this time of year it can get a
little cold at night (I will be taking some warmer clothes!)

About downt o 10C or colder? Just debating exactlyhow much to bring as
it will be the only cool place?