Air New Zealand vs. Qantas

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:05 AM
BTMO

Default Air New Zealand vs. Qantas

"Brian Harmer" wrote

I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.

I have had good and bad experiences on both Qantas and Air NZ. Most of my
recent experience is with Air NZ (airpoints...)

What I have noticed is that the planes don't seem as clean as they once
were, and the audio visual equipment is getting a bit long in the tooth. We
travelled to Melbourne at Christmas time, and my wife couldn't use the
headphones provided in her seat - the jack was cactus.

Still, she didn't really care - she just wanted to sleep all of the way
over.

Cheers,

Brenton

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Laurie Fleming

In article ,
"A Mate" wrote:

Smoking!!?? Sheesh - ancient history!

Qantas has newer aircraft; better safety record!

The Air Maroc flight was 1990; Qantas around 1993. Thank goodness that
sort of thing is over.

Their safety records are pretty close...and I tend to stay away from
flights to those latitudes.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:16 AM
nobody

Brian Harmer wrote:
I haven't travelled internationally since the great financial
setbacks, but all my prior experience was of superb and friendly
service from Air New Zealand, in comparison with terse offhand
treatment from the jaded staff in Qantas cabins.

My experience is that Qantas is a fine airline in the air, but prior to
flight, it could stand some improvements.

Air NZ seems to have fine ground service as well as great on-board service and
excellent food.

However, service levels vary from route to route, so one's experience on route
A may not be fully representative of what you'll get on route B.

Someone made a comment about smoking. Haven't both banned smoking system-wide
a long long time ago or do they still have routes that allow smokers ?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:18 AM
Brian Logan

"james_anatidae" wrote:

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer to
fly?

Qantas, because you get a greater choice of movies (I don't sleep on
planes). Otherwise I would consider seat pitch to be a significant
factor.

b.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:39 AM
MK

"james_anatidae" wrote in message
All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer

fly?

Either of these is a lot better than flying AA or UA trans Pacific (if they
do anymore?). Air NZ is in the Star Alliance, Qantas is in OneWorld - so
I'd base the choice on which FF program you prefer and the cost of the
tickets.

Last time I flew AirNZ trans-Pacific (9 months ago), there were not personal
TVs in economy. Not sure if Qantas has them on those routes. The seats
were good and service and food were reasonable.

MK

Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:57 AM
mtravelkay

Laurie Fleming wrote:

In article ,
"james_anatidae" wrote:

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer to
fly?

Air New Zealand. I've got my air miles with them (yeah I know - flying
would/could be cheaper if they didn't exist, but nevertheless it's worth
the odd upgrade), and I've never had any problems with them.

Qantas - well, some of the worst flights I've had anywhere have been
with them. Being put in non-smoking, but one row ahead of the smokers,
despite our ensuring beforehand twice that our seats would be nearer the
front

In those days, if the plane was nearly full some people had to sit just
in front of the smoking section. This wasn't something limited to one
airline. Did ANZ not exist then?

Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:19 AM
Bruce Simpson

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:30:23 -0500, "james_anatidae"
wrote:

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer to
fly?

Well when I flew to the UK last June I was pretty pee'd off at having
been booked on Qantas, but they had the full "LCD in the back of the
seat" in-flight entertainment centre and the food was quite good.

THen, when I flew to LA in July I flew Air NZ.

Boy, the Air NZ food was crap, the service sucked and if you wanted to
watch a movie there were no LCDs and you simply had to crane your head
around to get a *glimpse* of the CRT monitor a dozen or so rows up
front.

Qantas gave me a nice little package with a toothbrush, toothpaste,
eye-shades and elastic socks -- that was nice. Air NZ gave me nothing
of the kind.

As well as very nice food at mealtimes, Qantas also offered some quite
palettable inflight snacks - AirNZ offered some non-descript
cracker-like things that came in an unmarked white plastic bag and
tasted revolting. Nobody in the seats around me actually ate them.

Qantas also handed out bottled water at regular intervals -- Air NZ
didn't.

There was one rather snotty flight-attendant within the Qantas cabin
crew but most of the AirNZ crew seemed far more interested in chatting
about what they'd been doing the night before than actually serving
people.

Qantas had enough meals to ensure everyone got their selection from
fish or chicken. Air NZ ran out of the preferred meal about half way
through the meal-run and lots of people were left with something they
didn't want -- and quite a few didn't actually eat.

Qantas is not perfect but Air NZ is absolutely attrocious by
comparison.

On any flight of more than a few hours it's outrageous that people
should be stuck in a plane without a personal LCD entertanment center
and it was clear that AirNZ were being *really* cheap in every area.

And this was *BEFORE* they went on their austerity drive!

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
JD

james_anatidae wrote:

All other things being equal (price, time, route) which would you prefer to
fly?

Air NZ, at least they aren't as bad as those withered old hags on
Quaintarse. BTW, I'm starting to really like those girls on Virgin Blue,
very friendly some of them...

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:24 AM
JD

A Mate wrote:

Smoking!!?? Sheesh - ancient history!

Qantas has newer aircraft; better safety record!

Only because you aren't informed.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 09:05 AM
nobody

Bruce Simpson wrote:
Qantas also handed out bottled water at regular intervals -- Air NZ
didn't.

Doesn't Air NZ have water fountains near its galley blocks ? Or are those gone ?

Qantas is not perfect but Air NZ is absolutely attrocious by
comparison.

Interesting that some people have extremely found memories of air NZ while
others have total opposite. Has Air NZ really gone down that much in recent
years ?