NYC Hotels

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jerold Pearson

Default NYC Hotels

Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in mid-town
Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station? Doesn't need to be
fancy or romantic.

Thanks.
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Jerold Pearson" wrote:
Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in
mid-town Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station?
Doesn't need to be fancy or romantic.

My relatives who live in the vicinity like to refer friends+family
to The Roosevelt (for Theodore) at Madison & 45th, just a
block or two away. Its not a chain, but a venerable property
that opened in 1924. Website: www.theroosevelthotel.com/

Old August 29th, 2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:42:43 +0000 (UTC), Jerold Pearson
wrote:

Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in mid-town
Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station? Doesn't need to be
fancy or romantic.

Thanks.

I like www.radiocityapartments.com - on 49th, just 1.5 blocks from
Rockefeller Center - close to theaters, subways, etc. Nice staff,
full kitchenettes, decent sized rooms (larger than many in NY in the
price range). Free newspapers in the lobby every day (including NYT).
Great towles, and they give you plenty. Beds comfy. A/C. No
breakfast included, but you can eat cheap for breakfast at the deli
down the street, or bring in stuff and use the frig/micro. In late
June we had a room with 2 queen size beds for $215/night. For that
location and with the amenities, that's a bargain.
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:

Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in mid-town
Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station? Doesn't need to be
fancy or romantic.

Thanks.

I've had good prices via Priceline and Hotwire in the past
few years. All well under $150 including fees and taxes:
Millennium on Broadway 2003, Paramount (aka Hard Rock) 2006
and Gem 2008.

Just be aware that some of the 2.5* and 3* "boutique" hotels
can be incredibly small rooms. That was a problem when we
stayed in the Paramount as a couple, but no problem for the
"Gem" when I stayed as a single.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

wrote:

Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in mid-town
Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station? Doesn't need to be
fancy or romantic.

You might try www.belvederehotelnyc.com 2 blocks from Times Square. If
you catch the NY1 promotion the price is OK as it includes full
american breakfast. They have other promo's too.
We found the location excellent to visit most of NY on foot or by
subway.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_2_]

On 8/28/2008 6:42 PM Jerold Pearson scrawled...:
Any suggestions for a (relatively) reasonably priced hotel in mid-town
Manhattan, preferrably near Grand Central Station? Doesn't need to be
fancy or romantic.

Thanks.

Unless you are taking a train into Grand Central Station and getting on
another train out of there the next day, I can't recommend this
neighborhood. There aren't any decent places to eat in this area, that
is outside the station itself. The Grand Central neighborhood is
populated by copy centers, fast food (fast in - fast out), and schlock
shops. The area is improving a little, but that consists mainly service
industry establishments that cater to corporate office customers. I'd
ask about some of the small boutique hotels around town. A few years
back, I stayed at the Pickwick Hotel in the West 50's. It was small,
and cozy. The rates were affordable by grad students as I was then. Sad
to say, it is no more. But there are lots of places like that all over
town. Recently, I stayed in one in the Chelsea neighborhood (not the
infamous Hotel Chelsea!). The hotel in which I stayed has the word
Pines in it. It's within walking distance of a beautiful park. As long
as it's in a good neighborhood with good places to eat, I don't worry
about proximity to Midtown. You can always take a train or subway just
about anywhere you need to go in or out of the city.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Brian Kochera:
Unless you are taking a train into Grand Central Station and getting on
another train out of there the next day ...

Which is unlikely, since Grand Central is used only for commuter trains.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The walls have hearsay."
-- Fonseca & Carolino
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 22:55:13 -0500, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Which is unlikely, since Grand Central is used only for commuter trains.

Could be a round trip, I guess. It's not that far to Penn Station
though.

Old September 1st, 2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_2_]

On 8/30/2008 11:55 PM Mark Brader scrawled...:
Brian Kochera:

Unless you are taking a train into Grand Central Station and getting on
another train out of there the next day ...

Which is unlikely, since Grand Central is used only for commuter trains.

There aren't any inter-community trains in NJ, Con and parts of New York
State. If I haven't an automobile and I need to get from Pt. Pleasant
on the NJ Shore, there isn't a non-stop from Pt. Pleasant to Hempstead,
Long Island. I did it once. I took a train from Pt. Pleasant which
made stops all along the coastal line terminating at Penn Station in
Newark, NJ From there I took a train to Penn Station, NYC. then I took
the Crosstown, to Grand Central. By the time I got there it was getting
late. I stayed at some roach motel near Grand Central. The following
morning I took the train out to Hempstead.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JEP

Brian K wrote in
m:

Unless you are taking a train into Grand Central Station and getting on
another train out of there the next day, I can't recommend this
neighborhood.

Actually, that's pretty much what I will be doing. I'll be there for work,
and the office I'll be at is across the street from Grand Central. And
I'll be entering and leaving the city from Grand Central. (I used to live
in Manhattan, so I know the city. I just don't know the current hotel
situation.)

JEP