East/South-East Asia Trip Suggestions

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Steve[_20_]

Default East/South-East Asia Trip Suggestions

I'm based in the UK and I fancy a trip to East and/or South-East Asia. My
budget is around £2000 for the trip (plus spending money), I have up to 3
weeks holiday available and I'll be going sometime between August and
December.

I would like to visit some cities - plus potentially some historic sites and
possibly have some time on a beach. I would however be happy just visiting
interesting cities. The cities that interest me are Hong Kong, Tokyo,
Singapore and Beijing.

I'm mostly interested in a varied, exciting trip around Asia and I'm open to
any suggestions. My budget is also flexible. I'm happy to fly, or travel by
boat or rail to any location.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the type I could have? Any recommended
places? Would I be better booking it all in advance or just heading out to
Hong Kong with a lot of cash? Would I be better with a single deal, or
booking it all separately myself? Any times that I should avoid (e.g. rainy
season)?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
PeterL

On Mar 7, 4:34*am, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

three weeks is not a lot of time to visit these four cities, each one
alone could occupy you for at least 1 week. You may want to fly to
Singapore, stay for 3 or 4 days, then use HK as a base and visit
Beijing and Tokyo. I would cut out one of those cities, either
Beijing or Tokyo for this trip. Sometimes Cathay pacific has deals
where you fly to HK and then you can take flights to a number of Asian
cities. I would say book your flights before you start. Between
those cities you should be flying.

The best time to go is mid October to mid November.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Alfred Molon[_6_]

£2000 is an a bit tight budget for what you are planning to do. You'll
most likely end up spending more than that.

Also the time is quite tight, if you want to visit all these four
cities. Skip Beijing, because it is not a nice city. Instead of Hong
Kong visit Seoul, which is more interesting. Tokyo is very nice, but
you'll need at least 4-5 days, better one week.

There are nice beaches not too far from Singapore, so you could spend
the beach time there. Tioman island for instance has direct flight
connections with Singapore.

In article , Steve says...

--

Alfred Molon
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:16 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Steve Cain

[...]

The CP suggestion above is a good one. Perhaps they have the All Asia pass
for flights originating in the UK.
I think 21 days will work nicely. One caveate regarding CP is that each
time you change a city it will be through HK international.
Singapore is optional in my opinion. If you do it do get to Jumbo Seafood
!!

If you're in shape and enjoy a hike I tell posters here not to miss walking
on the Wilson Trail and for instant gratification I'd take a taxi up to
the trail heads near the Parkview Hotel and begin walking toward
Stanley....heaven....if muddy don't do it.
Also, there is a great little grocery at the Parkview. Likely anything you
need available.

Have a great time. s

Old March 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Bob Myers

Alfred Molon wrote:
Also the time is quite tight, if you want to visit all these four
cities. Skip Beijing, because it is not a nice city. Instead of Hong
Kong visit Seoul, which is more interesting. Tokyo is very nice, but
you'll need at least 4-5 days, better one week.

Seoul more interesting than Hong Kong? You have to be kidding.
I like Seoul just fine, but Hong Kong is an experience not to be
missed.

Bob M.

Old March 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Bob Myers says...

Seoul more interesting than Hong Kong? You have to be kidding.
I like Seoul just fine, but Hong Kong is an experience not to be
missed.

There is not much to see in Hong Kong for what concerns historical
buildings. The only great thing is the skyline, the rest is relatively
unimpressive.

In any case, compare by yourself. Here is what Hong Kong has to offer:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/HongKong/

and this is Seoul:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Korea/Seoul/
A huge imperial palace, many beautiful temples, a unique culture. The
modern part of the city is more refreshing than the overcrowded and
cramped Hong Kong.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 00:43:23 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bob Myers says...

Seoul more interesting than Hong Kong? You have to be kidding.
I like Seoul just fine, but Hong Kong is an experience not to be
missed.

There is not much to see in Hong Kong for what concerns historical
buildings. The only great thing is the skyline, the rest is relatively
unimpressive.

In any case, compare by yourself. Here is what Hong Kong has to offer:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/HongKong/

and this is Seoul:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Korea/Seoul/
A huge imperial palace, many beautiful temples, a unique culture. The
modern part of the city is more refreshing than the overcrowded and
cramped Hong Kong.

I have to agree with Bob. If there was only one city in Asia he could
visit, it should be Hong Kong.

A lot of people think of Hong Kong as nothing more than a modern city
similar to any you would find in the west. If you make the effort to
get out of the urban areas there's a lot more to it than that. For
example, take a ferry out to Cheung Chau and spend a few hours
exploring the island. Or spend a day hiking through Sai Kung Country
Park to the beaches in the north-east part of the territory.

If you know where to go there are still parts of Hong Kong you can
discover where life hasn't changed that much in generations. If you
want historical building you can find them as well. Even you own
photos show the Man Mo temple in Sheung Wan, which is over 160 years
old.

Chris
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Bob Myers

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Bob Myers says...

Seoul more interesting than Hong Kong? You have to be kidding.
I like Seoul just fine, but Hong Kong is an experience not to be
missed.

There is not much to see in Hong Kong for what concerns historical
buildings. The only great thing is the skyline, the rest is relatively
unimpressive.

In any case, compare by yourself.

Been there, done that. I've visited both cities many times.
As I said, I like Seoul, but I would never tell someone that it is
"more interesting" than Hong Kong. The two experiences are
very, very different. There's a good deal more to a city than just
"historical buildings," at least for most visitors.

Bob M.

Old March 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
s.com...
In article , Bob Myers says...

Seoul more interesting than Hong Kong? You have to be kidding.
I like Seoul just fine, but Hong Kong is an experience not to be
missed.

There is not much to see in Hong Kong for what concerns historical
buildings. The only great thing is the skyline, the rest is relatively
unimpressive.

In any case, compare by yourself. Here is what Hong Kong has to offer:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/HongKong/

and this is Seoul:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Korea/Seoul/
A huge imperial palace, many beautiful temples, a unique culture. The
modern part of the city is more refreshing than the overcrowded and
cramped Hong Kong.
--

Never been to Hong Kong. Just having read some stories about it. For
instance in these stories they keep telling that Chinese food is a true

Old March 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.cruises
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Chris Blunt
says...

I have to agree with Bob. If there was only one city in Asia he could
visit, it should be Hong Kong.

You are joking, right? There are zillions of cities in Asia which are
orders of magnitude more interesting than Hong Kong.
--

Alfred Molon