How to kill an afternoon at JFK?

Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
ant

Default How to kill an afternoon at JFK?

My flight into JFK gets there around noon, but my flight out doesn't
leave til 7pm. Suggestions for what to do in the interim? Are there
any net hotspots yet for my laptop?! Or Round-trip tours that start
and end at the airport? Or use-friendly buses I can ride?
I was last at JFK in November, and there was nothing to do there, the
shops I remembered from a few years back seemed to have gone.

ant

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:38 AM
ant

"nick" wrote in message
go see Manhattan.

I actually stayed there a few years back and saw it thoroughly. Didn't see
any of bronx or queens etc though. If there were bus tours leaving the
airport and returning there, that'd be ideal. Just something to while away
the hours.

LA airport has a tourist info desk and they will tell you exactly how to
catch a bus to where you're going, and give advice. I've found them to be
absolutely brilliant. I dont' suppose JFK has anything liek that?

ant

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:39 AM
ant

"nick" wrote in message
Yea its a crap airport. I don't remember seeing any shops.

last time I was there, the shops were OK, good for an hour or so. But now,
it's all about SECURITY but there's nothing to do! LA has a net cafe and
some shops.

ant

Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:42 AM
eric h

In article ,
ant wrote:

My flight into JFK gets there around noon, but my flight out doesn't
leave til 7pm. Suggestions for what to do in the interim? Are there
any net hotspots yet for my laptop?! Or Round-trip tours that start
and end at the airport? Or use-friendly buses I can ride?
I was last at JFK in November, and there was nothing to do there, the
shops I remembered from a few years back seemed to have gone.

Your time is tight, of course, but the new Airtrain might be just the
thing to get you out of the airport. According to the web page, it gets
you to Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd station in 16 minutes. From Jamaica you can
get the subway or the Long Island RR (commuter train). If time was tight,
I'd subway in to Jackson Heights and look for some munchies, but if the
LIRR schedules looked good, I might try and ride on in to Penn Station in
Manhattan.

Even if all you got was a quick subway ride, it beats sitting in the
airport for 6 hours. The Airtrain is $5 each way, on top of what you pay
for the subway or LIRR, but in this case it would be worth it.

--
---
"I never had to pretend I felt the lyrics. I could always relate to the words."
Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Pan

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:38:08 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

"nick" wrote in message
.. .
go see Manhattan.

I actually stayed there a few years back and saw it thoroughly. Didn't see
any of bronx or queens etc though.

[snip]

Consider taking a cab to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens if it's nice
weather (and assuming you don't have to carry anything heavy). Jackson
Heights was mentioned as a possibility. I'd add Flushing, where you
could get some excellent Chinese or Korean food (again, cab would be
simplest and fastest). Let me know if you're going there, and I'll
post some recommendations.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
Miguel Cruz

ant wrote:
My flight into JFK gets there around noon, but my flight out doesn't
leave til 7pm. Suggestions for what to do in the interim? Are there
any net hotspots yet for my laptop?! Or Round-trip tours that start
and end at the airport? Or use-friendly buses I can ride?

There is a free hotspot in the JetBlue terminal. Not sure whether you can
reach it without checking in for a JetBlue flight though. It's worth a try.

But with that much time I'd blow the $14 on a round-trip ride to Manhattan
and at least get a couple hours' walking around and something to eat. Any
wasted chance to visit New York is a crime against nature.

miguel
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:44 PM
ant

"Miguel Cruz" wrote

There is a free hotspot in the JetBlue terminal. Not sure whether you can
reach it without checking in for a JetBlue flight though. It's worth a

try.

woo hoo! I'm coming in on Jet Blue.
But if the sky train is up as another poster said, I might just hop on that
and go somewhere, New York is more important than email!

But with that much time I'd blow the $14 on a round-trip ride to Manhattan
and at least get a couple hours' walking around and something to eat. Any
wasted chance to visit New York is a crime against nature.

absolutely, I do agree.

ant

Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:46 PM
ant

"eric h" wrote

Your time is tight, of course, but the new Airtrain might be just the
thing to get you out of the airport. According to the web page, it gets
you to Jamaica/Sutphin Blvd station in 16 minutes.

Is it up and running already? I saw the terminals and tracks they wre
building for it in November. Trains are more user-friendly than buses.

Even if all you got was a quick subway ride, it beats sitting in the
airport for 6 hours. The Airtrain is $5 each way, on top of what you pay
for the subway or LIRR, but in this case it would be worth it.

Totally. Well, that's good news, I can go somewhere!

ant