COSTA RICA: Getting from Puntarenas to Monteverde?

Old December 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM
MiguelB

Default COSTA RICA: Getting from Puntarenas to Monteverde?

How much would a taxi cost to get from Puntarenas to Monteverde?
We are going to be in Montezuma, which means we'll have to take the
ferry to Puntarenas and then try to get a taxi from there. Any idea
what it might cost us? I'm not sure how many miles it is or how long
it will take to drive it... (in January)

Any suggestions or comments?
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Harry

"MiguelB" wrote in message
How much would a taxi cost to get from Puntarenas to Monteverde?
We are going to be in Montezuma, which means we'll have to take the
ferry to Puntarenas and then try to get a taxi from there. Any idea
what it might cost us? I'm not sure how many miles it is or how long
it will take to drive it... (in January)

Any suggestions or comments?

The distance is not the problem, but the road to Monteverde is horrible
especially when its raining.
I guess a taxiride is at least 2 hours so its not going to be a cheapy. I
would take the bus...

Harry

Old December 17th, 2003, 09:36 PM
MiguelB

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:32:27 +0100, "Harry"
wrote:

"MiguelB" wrote in message
.. .
How much would a taxi cost to get from Puntarenas to Monteverde?
We are going to be in Montezuma, which means we'll have to take the
ferry to Puntarenas and then try to get a taxi from there. Any idea
what it might cost us? I'm not sure how many miles it is or how long
it will take to drive it... (in January)

Any suggestions or comments?

The distance is not the problem, but the road to Monteverde is horrible
especially when its raining.
I guess a taxiride is at least 2 hours so its not going to be a cheapy. I
would take the bus...

Harry

Well, I have a "do not drive" policy in Costa Rica, anyway. I think
it's too dangerous because there are potholes everywhere and people
drive like crazy people over there, passing on hills, etc...

But does anyone know the price of taxis, in general? Isn't there like
a standard charge per mile or per half-day or something? (I realize it
depends on the taxista, but I'm looking for just a ballpark figure.)

And is there no Tour Bus service from Puntarenas to Monteverde?
Old December 19th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Treemoss2

Seeing as Puntaarenas is not that big, I am sure you can just ask some of the
taxis there about going to Monteverde and negotiate a fare. If not acceptable
you can take the bus.
Since you are going to be passing through Puntarenas anyway, this should be no
problem.
The point being that all your options are easily investigated while there. I
wouldn't sweat it.
Also while in Montezuma you should ask around as there are many people there
who have, or donw the same thing.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:00 AM
MiguelB

On 19 Dec 2003 16:03:32 GMT, (Treemoss2) wrote:

Seeing as Puntaarenas is not that big, I am sure you can just ask some of the
taxis there about going to Monteverde and negotiate a fare. If not acceptable
you can take the bus.
Since you are going to be passing through Puntarenas anyway, this should be no
problem.
The point being that all your options are easily investigated while there. I
wouldn't sweat it.
Also while in Montezuma you should ask around as there are many people there
who have, or donw the same thing.

Thanks, you are absolutely right; but I'm just trying to get as much
info as I can, ahead of time.

For example, I'm not sure there ARE buses that go from Puntarenas to
Monteverde, and I might have to make a connection, or it might not
even be possible to make such a connection, practically speaking.
Also, I might want to make an arrangement ahead of time, to get a van
ride from Puntarenas to Monteverde - but it would help to know that
information (name, place, contact number of a tour co. in Puntarenas)
before going...

If I cannot find out ahead of time, then I will do as you say. But if
someone here might know of a tour company that provides rides to MV
from Puntarenas, that would be ideal... I have taken the bus from San
Jose to Monteverde, and it was no picnic. Interesting, yes, but
picnic, no... and once is enough, if I can avoid it...

I have bussed to various parts of Costa Rica. The buses that go from
San Jose to San Isidro del General, for instance, are great. But the
buses that go from San Jose to Quepos suck (or used to, anyway).
Similarly, the bus from SJ to Monteverde was very uncomfortable and
slow, stopping for every person who wanted to get on and sell
sandwiches or snacks. If I can get a van ride for $20-30, that would
be much preferable than a bus. However, I am not familiar with tour
co's in Puntarenas. The one time I was in Putareinas, I found it to be
the dirtiest, trashiest, crappiest part of Costa Rica I've seen.