Accomodation/eating costs in NZ/Australia

Old September 12th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Peter Webb

Default Accomodation/eating costs in NZ/Australia

If you told us where you were from, we could compare it to your country.

Aust and NZ are cheaper than the USA and significantly cheaper than most of
Western Europe for accomodation and food (in particular).

Travel would be cheap, but its a big country - Sydney Perth is further than
London Moscow. Still, you can get a cheapie return airfare for maybe $400
($250 US) over that route.

If you really are going, buy the Lonely Planet guide. Funnily enough, the
Lonely Plant company is headquartered in Melbourne - so this is there
flagship publication.

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to be in Australia, then New Zealand from around January till
the end of March 2004 and was wondering how much I'd be expecting to pay
for budget accomodations and food while there?

What about travelling from place to place? Is it expensive?

Hallvard
--
Atari Launchpad : http://launchpad.atari.org
Notator/Creator SL : http://www.notator.org

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:11 AM
sibbick1

Hello Hallvard

Sydney to Perth is still travelling within Australia but it is a very long
way.

If you want to travel around cheap, buy an old car when you arrive and sell
it when you leave. There are even places that have buy back schemes.

You could consider camping as a cheap way to live once you are outside of
the big cities. I just read in the paper in the last week that travellers
will be able to camp at wayside stops in NSW for 20 hours, something that
was previously forbidden. Many wayside stops have toilets and cooking
facilities.

Peter Webb wrote:

If you told us where you were from, we could compare it to your country.

Like Anette has correctly pointed out before I've had a chance to reply,
I'm from Norway, and I don't doubt that Australia and NZ is cheaper than
here, but the cheaper the better as I'm not made out of money ;-)

Aust and NZ are cheaper than the USA and significantly cheaper than most

of
Western Europe for accomodation and food (in particular).

So how much would one expect to pay for staying the night at a youth
hostel dorm or single room? And what about a simple meal? And I'm not
talking about a top restaurant, but something a budget backpacker would
consider OK for dinner?

Travel would be cheap, but its a big country - Sydney Perth is further

than
London Moscow. Still, you can get a cheapie return airfare for maybe

$400
($250 US) over that route.

I was actually wondering more about travel within the country. I'll have
the trip to/from Australia covered in my round-the-world ticket.

Hallvard

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Anette

"Hallvard Tangeraas"
Travel would be cheap, but its a big country - Sydney Perth is further

than
London Moscow. Still, you can get a cheapie return airfare for maybe

$400
($250 US) over that route.

I was actually wondering more about travel within the country. I'll have
the trip to/from Australia covered in my round-the-world ticket.

Sydney-Perth IS within the country :-)
Simple meals are cheap - decent dinner(t-bone/chicken fillet, salad, fries)
can be had for 8-10 A$ Some pubs will throw in a beer too. Burgers from
3-4$. asian stuff from around $5. Don't know hostel prices... motel rooms
can be had from A$50-70

Anette

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Helena

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote
Anette wrote:

He's from Norway so everything down under is DIRT cheap :-)

Hehe... that might be true, but it doesn't mean I have unlimited funds
(remember, I'll be going on a world-trip lasting for about 1/2 year, and
that includes Japan which *isn't* cheap as far as I can see).

Well, if your budget is getting a little stretched while in Oz, go to any
Bunnings hardware store - big warehouse type places in the suburbs, painted
green, you can't miss them - and they'll more often than not have a
fundraising sausage sizzle. $2 will get you a barbequed sausage with fried
onions on a bun. Condiments free.

Pub meals are often very good value and very nice. Go mid-week and they'll
have cheaper meals. There's no tipping here so that saves you a bit. We have
most of the American fast food places if you like that stuff. Or try our
local delis - you can get sandwiches made up for you, nice and fresh. And
their hamburgers are often better than fast food places. Also, meat pies are
inexpensive. Shopping centres will have food courts offering everything from
sushi to fish and chips to pasta and everything in between.

Have fun,

Helena

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:13 AM
4000 psi

in Norway they can eat snow and survive, i'm sure he'll manage in the
seafood capital of the world

Old September 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Tony Bailey

"Helena" wrote in message

Pub meals are often very good value and very nice. Go mid-week and they'll
have cheaper meals. There's no tipping here so that saves you a bit.

In Sydney, the Forresters Hotel on the corner of Riley and Foveaux Sts still
offers their $5.00 steak on Sunday to Wednesday nights - with the money he
saves he might be able to afford a visit to the establishment across the
road in Riley St with all the potted plants hiding the front door from
sight.

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury World Travel

Old September 13th, 2003, 08:11 AM
alfred

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

So how much would one expect to pay for staying the night at a youth
hostel dorm or single room? And what about a simple meal? And I'm not
talking about a top restaurant, but something a budget backpacker would
consider OK for dinner?

In New Zealand, there are a few dorms rooms around the place under $20
but you are probably better off thinking that is at least what it will
cost. You can get singles from around $25 to $50 pretty much anywhere,
if you include pubs as a possible place to stay. As for a simple meal,
the good old fish and chips starts off at about $3, and I guess a
backpacker *might* consider living on them! But you can get a
cheap'n'cheerful Asian meal for around $7 in all cities and some of the
larger towns and most pubs will have something you can eat for $10 or
so. For a slightly flash night out, you could find a cafe and maybe
spend $20 on something decent. Is alcohol something you might have in
mind? Cheap wine under $10 is possible and certainly something quite
drinkable is available at that limit, beer will be around the $20 a
dozen unless you're happy with the cheapest brands.

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:44 PM
SportChick

Hallvard,

Sorry, I'm still trying to catch up on your various posts... are you
planning to take camping gear along? Or at least a sleeping bag or sleep
sheet? The prices will vary drastically depending on what you are willing
to do. In both Au & NZ, you can stay much cheaper if you stay in holiday
parks or campgrounds than in a hostel or in a hotel. If you have a tent,
it's even cheaper.

In NZ, though, many of the holiday parks have "cabins" or some such thing,
that you can rent. They are generally less than paying for a room in a
hostel (or at least they were for us...there were two of us traveling
together...I can't guarantee it would be the same for someone traveling
solo). Also, the camp kitchens were generally quite nice -- indoors, with
stovetop, refrigerator, sometimes even an oven, ho****er zip, and sinks.
But you have to have your own utensils, pots, etc.

In Australia, due to the climate, the facilities differed. The kitchen were
generally outdoors and often were nothing but a BBQ. Refrigerators may or
may not be provided. I don't remember that there were many places providing
"cabin"-type accommodation (I only remember one specifically) because we
were sleeping in our car. The great thing about Western Australia (I don't
know where you plan to go) is that there are no rules about where you sleep.
So, you can pull over into any old rest stop, and sleep in your car if you
want to...i.e., free camping! Hooray! We loved this (it would have been
even better if it were so HOT!). We had Ford Falcon Wagon with a mattress
set up in the back - as big as a double bed!

Many of the holiday parks (both in NZ and AU) belong to an association (I
can't remember the name offhand, but it's on our website somewhere -- the
name is different in each country). If you pay a minimal amount for a card
(I think it was NZ$20, and possibly the same in AU), you get a discount
every time you stay in one of their parks. I paid for itself very quickly
while we were there.

I hope this helps a little.

Donna
http://www.KirkandDonna.com/