Is there anything to see in Asia?

Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb

Default Is there anything to see in Asia?

"Chuck Whealton" wrote in message
oups.com...

Peter Webb wrote:

Could I recommend the "Museum of American war atrocities" (since renamed)
in
Saigon?

I can't believe I forgot this one. I also went there. No question
that the (previous?) name is fitting to the way the museum is setup.

In the end, it was war and (thank God) not having been in a war, I can
only guess that there's nothing good about it. But no question the
museum does live up to it's old name in the displays that are setup
there.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting place to go.

The two things that got to me the most while touring that museum were
the Agent Orange displays

Which were pictures of deformed children, with absolutely no evidence this
had anything to do with Agent Orange. There are deformed people all over the
world; you can't blame the US for that. This completely devalued the whole
experience for me, as there was and is absolutely no evidence that this had
anything to do with the US.

and one picture of an American soldier,
holding up a piece of an enemy solider from about one arm up to the
head like a trophy. The enemy soldier had (apparently) been blown up.

I know horrible things always happen in war without having been part of
one, but that really drove home just how cheap life can seem during a
time of war. I'll never forget it.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

The other interesting thing is that virtually all the photo credits were
American news agencies. The NV didn't allow journalists to photograph from
their side; hence the absence of photos of NV war atrocities.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.

Kind of tough for him to lose an election when he wasn't running.

As far as European tourists who haven't bathed for a month, that's
almost like asking if there are people with 2 eyes.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

bob wrote:
Doesn't everybody hate Bush?

One of the features of the Left is that they are incapable of
disagreeing with people without also hating them.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

In article .com,
Tchiowa says...

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.

Kind of tough for him to lose an election when he wasn't running.

His party was running. Anyway, you understood exactly what I meant.

--

Alfred Molon
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
Tchiowa says...

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , prior says...
How about youth hostels with
Bush-hating european tourists who haven't bathed in a month?

It's the Americans who don't like Mr. Bush - he just lost the elections.

Kind of tough for him to lose an election when he wasn't running.

His party was running. Anyway, you understood exactly what I meant.

Parties don't run in the US. It's a completely different system than
most of Europe. And yes, I understand what you said. But I think you
have it wrong. You're viewing it from a European perspective. Doesn't
apply in US politics.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
legroups.com...

bob wrote:
Doesn't everybody hate Bush?

One of the features of the Left is that they are incapable of
disagreeing with people without also hating them.

And idiots are incapable to keep this crap away from rta.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

Peter Webb wrote:

[...]

Peter:

There's no question that the deformities could have been from anything
and NOT Agent Orange. I'm not even going to dispute it. I'm also not
going to dispute that the photos were from American news agencies.

I'm only saying they were both things I won't forget very easily. I'm
not making any judgements except that war is a horrible thing.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon

In article .com,
Tchiowa says...

Parties don't run in the US. It's a completely different system than
most of Europe. And yes, I understand what you said. But I think you
have it wrong. You're viewing it from a European perspective. Doesn't
apply in US politics.

Huh? He's a lame duck now, with both houses controlled by the Democrats.
He lost the elections.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chuck Whealton

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article .com,
Tchiowa says...

Parties don't run in the US. It's a completely different system than
most of Europe. And yes, I understand what you said. But I think you
have it wrong. You're viewing it from a European perspective. Doesn't
apply in US politics.

Huh? He's a lame duck now, with both houses controlled by the Democrats.
He lost the elections.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred, I guess in a way you could say that "he" lost the elections in
that his party, who supports most of his policies, lost the elections.
Heck, I stopped voting for a Republican (House of Representatives) who
has gotten my vote for years (I considered him a moderate), just
because I felt it was giving our President more ammunition to continue
those same policies.

He probably is a "lame duck" President now. That's a double-edged
sword. Hopefully he won't get anymore of the policies through that
helped his party loose the elections, but at the same time, we probably
won't get much of anything productive accomplished.

Old December 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
riverman[_1_]

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
ups.com...

bob wrote:
Doesn't everybody hate Bush?

One of the features of the Left is that they are incapable of
disagreeing with people without also hating them.

Now, THAT's irony.

--riverman