"Savoir Flair", French culture bk.

Old October 5th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Jean McGraw

Default "Savoir Flair", French culture bk.

Am half way throught Polly Platt's new book and highly recommend it.
She's an american who has lived in Paris since 1967 and runs Culture
Crossings, a training center for business people. Wish I'd read it
before my trip to Paris. It is informative and entertaining. Are there
similar books for Italian, German and British cultures?

--------------------------------------

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:33 AM
mark cohen

There is the "Culture Shock.... " series, published by Graphic Arts Center
Publishing Company. They have books in the series on just about everyone
and everywhere. I've read the Britain and France books before my first
travels, and they were delightful.

Mark

Old October 5th, 2003, 10:15 AM
P J Wallace

Probably hundreds, of varying reliability. There's a huge market in
England for books and TV programmes about people who up sticks and go
to live abroad - especially in romantically sunny bits of Europe; but
quite a few tend to sound as though they stayed tourists at heart.

I remember a book by Jane Walmsley (I think), an American journalist
who married an Englishman. Raymond Seitz, the last US ambassador here,
wrote a well-received book about British-US relationships based on his
experiences, but I haven't read it - maybe it's a bit too much about
high politics.

PJW

Old October 6th, 2003, 04:31 PM
dgs

James Silverton wrote:

"Gordon Forbess" wrote in message

[...]

"Coping with Germany" by John Phillips is short and a bit outdated but
offers some great insights about German culture.

I'd like to mention a couple of books concerning France, out of print but
possibly findeable:

"The French, Portrait of a People" by Sanche de Gramont

"On Becoming American", by Ted Morgan (same person, believe it not!).

"A Tall Man in a Low Land: Some Time Among the Belgians" by Harry
Pearson is worthwhile reading for those interested in Belgium. Funny,
too.
--
DGS

Old October 6th, 2003, 11:47 PM
sascha

"dgs" schrieb

"A Tall Man in a Low Land: Some Time Among the Belgians" by Harry
Pearson is worthwhile reading for those interested in Belgium. Funny,
too.

Well, here's one from the high land:
"There glows another Alp: tales of life in Switzerland"

or... "Lend me your Alphorn: further tales of life in Switzerland".
both by E.V. Epstein

Old October 7th, 2003, 02:00 AM
James Silverton

"sascha" wrote in message
"dgs" schrieb

"A Tall Man in a Low Land: Some Time Among the Belgians" by Harry
Pearson is worthwhile reading for those interested in Belgium. Funny,
too.

Well, here's one from the high land:
"There glows another Alp: tales of life in Switzerland"

or... "Lend me your Alphorn: further tales of life in Switzerland".
both by E.V. Epstein

On Switzerland, John McPhee's "La Place de la Concorde Suisse" is a very
funny description of Swiss annual military training.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA