Alcohol prices in Europe

Old December 9th, 2005, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Alcohol prices in Europe

Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe? (we'll be pretty much all
over Europe this Spring) I remember when I was last there (almost 30
years ago) that the prices were extremely high in most places,
especially Northern Europe for any kind of alcoholic beverage.

We like lighter tasting Pilsners (obviously not heavy-duty beer
aficionados) and white wines (red wines give me migraine headaches).

I appreciate your comments.

Stan
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Owlman" wrote in message
Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe? (we'll be pretty much all
over Europe this Spring) I remember when I was last there (almost 30
years ago) that the prices were extremely high in most places,
especially Northern Europe for any kind of alcoholic beverage.

We like lighter tasting Pilsners (obviously not heavy-duty beer
aficionados) and white wines (red wines give me migraine headaches).

I appreciate your comments.

Stan

Wine in France and Italy are very reasonable. If you get a headache from
red, take an antihistamine. The skins that give a red it's color, contain
histamines.

Old December 9th, 2005, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman wrote:
Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe? (we'll be pretty much all
over Europe this Spring) I remember when I was last there (almost 30
years ago) that the prices were extremely high in most places,
especially Northern Europe for any kind of alcoholic beverage.

We like lighter tasting Pilsners (obviously not heavy-duty beer
aficionados) and white wines (red wines give me migraine headaches).

I appreciate your comments.

Stan

Online supermarket.
- entrer dans le magasin
- postal code : 75000 (Paris)
- La Cave à vin (wine cave)
and choose
http://www.ooshop.fr/
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"JuanElorza" wrote in message
Owlman wrote:
Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe? (we'll be pretty much all
over Europe this Spring) I remember when I was last there (almost 30
years ago) that the prices were extremely high in most places,
especially Northern Europe for any kind of alcoholic beverage. We like
lighter tasting Pilsners (obviously not heavy-duty beer
aficionados) and white wines (red wines give me migraine headaches).

I appreciate your comments.

Stan

Online supermarket.
- entrer dans le magasin
- postal code : 75000 (Paris)
- La Cave à vin (wine cave)
and choose
http://www.ooshop.fr/

Just ask for the house / table wine. Vino Tavola in Italian.

Old December 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:40:02 -0800, Owlman wrote:

Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe? (we'll be pretty much all
over Europe this Spring) I remember when I was last there (almost 30
years ago) that the prices were extremely high in most places,
especially Northern Europe for any kind of alcoholic beverage.

We like lighter tasting Pilsners (obviously not heavy-duty beer
aficionados) and white wines (red wines give me migraine headaches).

I appreciate your comments.

In general, drinking in Scandinavia is out of the question, unless you
have money to burn. Wine and beer are cheap in France, Germany, Italy,
Spain etc. In eastern parts of Europe, alcohol can be dirt, dirt
cheap, and very good. Buying it in the supermarket will save you a lot
of money.

You might need to be more specific if you want more specific info!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

DDT Filled Mormons wrote:

[...]

While prices obviously go up with inflation, my impression from many
countries is that alcohol has gone up (in restaurants and bars) above
inflation- IOW, it seems to cost a larger proportion of the meal price
than it did a decade or so ago. With central/eastern Europe, some places
are still dirt cheap (Bratislava, for example) but others seem to be
quickly approaching western neighbours- Budapest for example. Worth
pointing out that a lot of prices are listed in 10dl measurements.
Double that to get what you'd usually consider a 'glass' of wine. In the
UK, wine is generally expensive- even cheap house wine will run GBP 8-10
in cheaper restaurants, a lot more in more expensive ones. Some pubs
will offer bottles of house wine for GBP 5. Beer is not too badly priced
in a lot of places though, and spirits seem to be in line with what
you'd expect in much of Western Europe. In the UK, location is a factor-
It's easy in the north of England to find a pint for GBP 1.50-2, that's
not easy (if possible?) in London.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Am Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:40:02 -0800 schrieb Owlman:

Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe?

Restaurant or Supermarket? In Germany you can get a small glass of beer in
a pub for something like 2 EUR, a glass of wine starts from about 3 EUR. In
a fancy restaurant you pay more of course. In Switzerland you pay more,
maybe 20% more than in Germany at least. Belgium and Holland should be same
as Germany, at least when it comes down to beer.

Italy and France are rather cheap when it comes to wine, so is Spain.

Regards,

Frank
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:15:55 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

It's easy in the north of England to find a pint for GBP 1.50-2, that's
not easy (if possible?) in London.

I can't find anything under GBP1.80 in N Yorks.

Not even at Wetherspoons?

JohnT

Old December 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman:

Can some of you give me an idea of what we should expect to pay for
beer and wine in different areas of Europe?

If you belong to the majority of Ordinary People, OR you are a
millionaire and intend to remain a millionai
STAY AWAY from alcohol in the Scandinavian countries and Iceland.
Especially Iceland.

On the other hand, if you are a millionaire and don't mind to enter the
ranks of Ordinary People, by all means, enjoy a glass or two in the
forementioned regions.
Especially Iceland.

--
Peugeot Elystar - http://elystar.ardane.com