Big Cat Diary

Old January 8th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Pat Anderson

Default Big Cat Diary

This week BBC1 have been showing Big Cat Diary from the Masai Mara.
It`s great to see the big cats, and the presenters, Simon King, Jonathan
Scott and Saba Douglas- Hamilton are doing a good job.
There is a great screen saver too. Go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature
for details.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Eupe-mbwa

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:33:24 +0000, Pat Anderson
wrote:

This week BBC1 have been showing Big Cat Diary from the Masai Mara.
It`s great to see the big cats, and the presenters, Simon King, Jonathan
Scott and Saba Douglas- Hamilton are doing a good job.
There is a great screen saver too. Go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature
for details.
Pat.

Indeed it is great though the rotten swines keep leaving each days
editing with a cliffhanger making one eager to catch up with the news
next day.
I for one, can't wait to find out what happens to the leopard cubs
trapped in a cave by baboons....
--

.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Phil

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
This week BBC1 have been showing Big Cat Diary from the Masai Mara.
It`s great to see the big cats, and the presenters, Simon King, Jonathan
Scott and Saba Douglas- Hamilton are doing a good job.
There is a great screen saver too. Go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature
for details.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

I missed what happened to the lioness and her two cubs. Did the new males
kill them? Or did Simba ride to the rescue?

Phil

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:32 PM
JJ

I missed what happened to the lioness and her two cubs. Did the new males
kill them? Or did Simba ride to the rescue?

The lion cubs are still alive. The question now is if Bella's two leopard
cubs survive the visit of a group of baboons....

Arnoud

Old January 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , "Eupe-mbwa (Wh1t3d0g)"
writes
wrote:

This week BBC1 have been showing Big Cat Diary from the Masai Mara.
It`s great to see the big cats, and the presenters, Simon King, Jonathan
Scott and Saba Douglas- Hamilton are doing a good job.
There is a great screen saver too. Go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature
for details.
Pat.

Indeed it is great though the rotten swines keep leaving each days
editing with a cliffhanger making one eager to catch up with the news
next day.
I for one, can't wait to find out what happens to the leopard cubs
trapped in a cave by baboons....

I agree! I`ve sent an email to Saba telling her I can`t wait to hear
the fate of the cubs.
I think Saba is a natural for the job. I found a video recording I
made years ago when she and her sister were very young. At the time
the family were at Lake Manyara, where her father was working with
elephants.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
welshboybilly

it's on now and what awesome photography and editing.

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Liz

In message
"Phil" wrote:

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
This week BBC1 have been showing Big Cat Diary from the Masai Mara.
It`s great to see the big cats, and the presenters, Simon King, Jonathan
Scott and Saba Douglas- Hamilton are doing a good job.
There is a great screen saver too. Go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature
for details.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

I missed what happened to the lioness and her two cubs. Did the new males
kill them? Or did Simba ride to the rescue?

Tonight's cliffhanger:
The pride found the two tiny cubs without the mother and are sniffing them out.
Their fate is in the balance...
(Did they say whether the cubs are Simba's? Simon said he thought Bibi had
been exiled from the pride because her cubs were such a different age, but
I've seen very mixed age prides, but maybe not that extreme.

BTW - anyone know when it was filmed?
My bet is October.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Pat Anderson wrote:

I think Saba is a natural for the job. I found a video recording I
made years ago when she and her sister were very young. At the time
the family were at Lake Manyara, where her father was working with
elephants.

Pat,

by the way, more recently they (at least Iain and Saba) were
working with elephants again in Samburu. They have GPS collars
on one or two elephant bulls, if my memory serves me well. The
plan was to be able to watch little dots criss-crossing the map
on a web site. Haven't looked at that site for some time though.
Similar things have been done in Amboseli as well.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Rita Daggett

BTW - anyone know when it was filmed?
My bet is October.

According to the Radio Times it was September (all of Sept! so there's been
some 'constructive editing')
I was surprised at amount of rain at that time of year and number of
wildebeest - presumably they are on their way back to the Serengeti?

--
Rita Daggett

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
Pat Anderson wrote:

I think Saba is a natural for the job. I found a video recording I
made years ago when she and her sister were very young. At the time
the family were at Lake Manyara, where her father was working with
elephants.

Pat,

by the way, more recently they (at least Iain and Saba) were
working with elephants again in Samburu. They have GPS collars
on one or two elephant bulls, if my memory serves me well. The
plan was to be able to watch little dots criss-crossing the map
on a web site. Haven't looked at that site for some time though.
Similar things have been done in Amboseli as well.

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
Iain has a charity based at Samburu called "Save the Elephants". Saba
works there with him when she isn`t working on wild life filming for
the BBC, who she joined in 2002. Her sister, Dudu (what a choice of
name!) is also involved in the production of films here in Britain.
If you do a search on google.com for "Save the Elephants" the
information is there.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson