NZ South Island - Rental Car vs. Camper Van

Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
Dudejustgo

Default NZ South Island - Rental Car vs. Camper Van

Hi - thanks for reading this message.

Four of us are flying from Auckland to the South Island (either
Queenstown or
Christchurch) in March for an 8 day trip and are looking into the two
options of renting a car and staying at motels or hiring a camper van.

Most people I've spoken with say that a camper van is the way to go
but a few have also suggested that a rental car makes travel safer and
more comfortable.

If anyone had input on the above decision that would be greatly
appreciated!

Also, any highlights from previous trips to the South Island would be
great as we do not have an itinerary planned yet. I've been to
Queenstown before and am hoping to avoid it on this trip with more
focus on either Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound, Able Tasman and a
glacier climb. Would it make sense to skip the sounds and focus on the
Malborough/Nelson area?

Sorry for such a long post!

Cheers!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
Scotty

Well all I can say is check your math!

Decent rental car around $80 per day over 8 days = $640.
Campervan for 8 day hire around $221/day for 6 berth.= $1768

That's $141 difference per day for accommodation, take into account that you
now have showers, telly, head room, a much much cheaper car to run, the list
goes on.

Campervans are great if you don't stay at camping grounds cause they are
self contained but you also pay up to $15 per night in camping grounds per
person and now your $231 per night up with a car. Now you can afford to hire
a huge car or nice van for WAY less than the campervan. It all adds up and
now with a car you can afford to spend money on Bungy jumps, shotover jets
and getting ****ed at Queenstowns best pubs and clubs.

Its all in the math and what you want to get out of your holiday, personally
I'm a nice comfy car hire guy and nice motel/hotels.

Hope that helps you.
Scotty

om...

Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:19 AM
A Mate

It's a personal choice - which we've always decided in favour of the
car/motel comfort route.

Factors we consider:
Car Rental - typically $50 per day for a second ranked hirer like Ace!!
Includes Insurance, unlimited km, AA service etc - as opposed to $150 per
day for a campervan.

Motels (which in NZ always have a fully equipped kitchen) - $90 per day.
Campground fees - $15 per day.

Fuel costs - campervans use more fuel than cars, and are slower, more
difficult to park when sightseeing etc!! Probably at least $5 per day in the
car's favour!

All other costs are pretty much identical. Car's in front by at least $30
per day.

It's a clear choice for us - but we have friends who are passionate (if a
little illogical IMHO) in arguing for campervans!

Have Fun!

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
RaT

Just to add my thoughts.
When we travelled round last year, (2 off us) we looked at both car and
camper. Cant remember the figures but the car & motel option was cheaper,
however as we weren't on a tight budget, we spent what we saved on slightly
better accommodation when we could as well as good meals out etc. I think
the car option gives you more flexibility as to where you stay, certain
areas the camper sites are limited and where often booked up already. At
least with the motel option there was more choice. plus of course the bonus
of more comfortable beds, showers etc. Also some motels have laundry
facilities in the room.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:24 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:10:53 GMT, "Marcel"
wrote:
[MSGE SNIPPED]

And another thought:
In a camper you can cook your own meal, in motels you quite often can't, so
you have to go out for dinner, which is usually more expensive..
Marcel

Most motels in NZ have kitchen facilities - simple matter of **asking
ahead** if they have.

Cath
Old January 23rd, 2005, 04:10 AM
Marcel

Hi Alan,
My remark is indeed based upon experiences here in Australia..
Marcel

wrote:

|In a camper you can cook your own meal, in motels you quite often can't,

so
|you have to go out for dinner, which is usually more expensive..
|Marcel

Hi Marcel. I'm not a kiwi, but the posters from there have repeatedly
mentioned that motel rooms in NZ usually have kitchen facilities.

I sincerely hope that is a trend that they will bring to this country,
where it is uncommon. Many motels in Oz now have microwaves and some
have kitchens; but here it is the exception, not the rule.

Cheers, Alan

Old January 23rd, 2005, 04:39 AM
Alan

Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:34 PM
whateverdudejustgo

Thanks for everyone's input....looks like a rental car may be the way
to go!

One additional question for people that have already travelled around
the south island. Any thoughts on must do or must see activities?

Able Tasman vs. Milford Sound?
Hiking on a Glacier vs. White Water Rafting?

Thanks again!

Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
Bob Jordan

In article . com,
"whateverdudejustgo" wrote:

One additional question for people that have already travelled around
the south island. Any thoughts on must do or must see activities?

Of course this is a huge open question open to opinions - but I have
some of them :-)

I think skip the Milford boat trip and do instead the one from Te anau -
that gives you a lake trip, a power station and saddle bus trip and then
the boat sound trip - a neat day. We saw seals, dolphins and pretty
amazing scenery.

But do the drive to Milford - it is special until you find the huge
numbers of packaged tourists in the buses. On the way check out Key
Summit which is a 1 to 2 hour walk up to a summit that looks around
three huge glacial valleys. It is one of the spots you always see on
local calendars. At the Homer tunnel you will see the native mountain
parrot who will come to greet you and ask for food. There is the valley
of the disappearing mountain, reflective lakes, waterfalls and lots of
other things on this trip.

So for a budget trip stay at Te Anau and do the boat trip one day and
the drive to Milford another.

Wanaka is pretty neat and can be done as a day trip from Queenstown. Do
the crown range one direction and have a beer at the Cardrona pub -
particularly if it is ski season. Then do the more highway based route
back (or vice versa). While in wanakla see puzzle world (I think that is
the name) even if you only have a passing interest in puzzles. The
unisex toilets are worth the money alone - puts a new 'perspective' on
things.

There are plenty of tourist things around Queenstown and some really
nice day trips that only cost petrol too.

The Mount Cook region is pretty nice with lots of options for hiking -
day trips and longer if you are so equipped in body and gear.

In the northern partb of the island there is also heaps to do. But
rmember that you cannot do it all. better to come back to do the oehr
half another time - or allow three or four weeks.

Abel Tasman national park is nice but others have also discovered that.
It is popular to do a few days in a kayak from there.

On the West coast ther is punakaiki and the national park in that area
has a lot to do.

But it all depends on what you like.

You will enkoy bthis amazing part of the world though.

As a well travelled kiwi I love these places.

--
Note abbreviate my country name to nz in address above

Bob Jordan
HortResearch
Priv. Bag 3123
Hamilton New Zealand
Ph +64 7 858 4748
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Jack

We did car and camper in the same trip.

for 2a and 3c it was CHEAPER in the camper - a full six berth from pacific
horizon (Set rates)

Fuel was CHEAPER for the deisel camper than a ford falcon

The camper provided MUCH more flexibility espec when you stop a a wonderfulk
scenic location - wake up to it!!

Speed - most roads are windining so not an issue, plus you SEE MUCH MORE on
the way - you's be surprised how much more.

They are not that cumbersome and most towns cater for larger vehicles

Who wants to lug bloody suitcases out and in of a car every night and
morning? - in a camper unpack once - you are not living out of a suitcase.

We did both, on the same trip and would NEVER hire a car

read about it at

http://www.reservationheaven.com/wik...20Descriptions