Accommodation in Sydney

Old February 5th, 2004, 12:04 PM
taqai

Default Accommodation in Sydney

Hello everyone,

In the first week of March, I intend to make a 3 night
stopover in Sydney. I have never been there before and
would therefore appreciate some suggestions about a cheap
and central place to stay.

Any good alternatives located in the city centre
which are easily accessible through bus/train
to/from the airport would be nice.

Please let me know of your recommendations (and the hotel's
webpage if that's possible).

Thanks a lot!
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Robin Nash

I stayed at Y on the Park - clean, tidy, cheap and a short walk across Hyde
Park to city centre or just up Oxford St to Kings Cross nightlife.
They have Dorms or Single/Double Rooms Budget or with en-suite to choose
from. If you want a hotel try Park Regis City Centre.
See www.honatravel.com

om...

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Freda

Have a look at www.needitnow.com.au you choose you state and city
(Sydney CBD), choose your hotel and monitor the prices and then ten days
out from when you wnat it you "buy" the night and then another
and then another and you have 3 nights
I stayed at Park Regis in Park st corner of Castlereigh st and
near Town Hall very central and reasonable accomodation
for around $100-$110 AUD per room per night Breakfast not
included but very cheap menu to select if you want to
OR nick across the street top McDonalds if that is what you are in to.
All transpoort adjacent or one block away max.
BTW keep away from Aarons hotel cheap but very small and
not too great at all...near Markets and chinatown.$88 per room per night
and was a room made from a previous verandah.
If you are holidaying look at getting the Sydney pass for the 3 days
http://www.sydneypass.info/ all transport including tube from Sydney airport
can be purchased from a travel agent who give you a voucher
which you take to the ticket office at the airport and exchange for the
ticket
(assuming you are coming into Sydney by aircraft.
Freda
--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:23 PM
wendy

a GREAT place to stay is the Woolbrokers Arms in Darling Harbour, it is
right across from the harbour and monorail, it is a bed and breakfast and
ultra cheap for the location and free breakie!!
wendy

--
șoș Going to WDW December '04

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Richard

Keith Sayers wrote in
:

On 5 Feb 2004 04:04:34 -0800, (taqai) wrote:

some suggestions about a cheap and central place to stay.

The George Hotel is close by Central station and was, I think,
$40 per night for a basic room.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia

Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers

$40 AUS I assume.

And just how long ago was this, as that price seems to be extremely low. Or
was it *really* cheap and dingy?? You don't tell us how the accomodations
were.
Old February 7th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Richard at
wrote on 2/6/04 5:55 PM:

Keith Sayers wrote in
:

On 5 Feb 2004 04:04:34 -0800,
(taqai) wrote:

some suggestions about a cheap and central place to stay.

The George Hotel is close by Central station and was, I think,
$40 per night for a basic room.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia

Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers

$40 AUS I assume.

And just how long ago was this, as that price seems to be extremely low. Or
was it *really* cheap and dingy?? You don't tell us how the accomodations
were.

Richard, as you probably know the AUD is now HIGHER than the CAD, up from
0.75 in 2001. So much for the great lie of how wonderfully our dollar is
performing - we're not up, the USD is down.

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Richard

Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote in
news:BC4A68FB.1FFAA%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca:

in article , Richard at
wrote on 2/6/04 5:55 PM:

Keith Sayers wrote in
:

On 5 Feb 2004 04:04:34 -0800,
(taqai) wrote:

some suggestions about a cheap and central place to stay.

The George Hotel is close by Central station and was, I think,
$40 per night for a basic room.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia

Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers

$40 AUS I assume.

And just how long ago was this, as that price seems to be extremely
low. Or was it *really* cheap and dingy?? You don't tell us how the
accomodations were.

Richard, as you probably know the AUD is now HIGHER than the CAD, up
from 0.75 in 2001. So much for the great lie of how wonderfully our
dollar is performing - we're not up, the USD is down.

I know, but my question was this place Keith was talking about, for $40
AUS it has to be a bit on the shady side, no? Most of my reservations
have been in the $80-100/day range, and I'm not splurging by any means.

As for the dollar, it is quite unbelievable. When we began planning this
trip we *knew* we'd be getting a third more back with AUD when we spent
our CAD. Then it became about a quarter and as another year went by it
was about 10-15%, and now, on the eve of our departure the great news has
come that we'll end up nearly on a par. The only place on earth where we
were going to get more for our money suddenly isn't. Yetch.